Archived Can I SERIOUSLY be disciplined for this?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For posting things, about Target on my facebook... even when I do not mention the store's name, I'm not badmouthing any team members, and I'm not giving away any "secrets"??

(I had WAY more details in here but just removed due to worry that they'll find me here too!)

Last edited:
Sounds like someone is out to get you and they've done it in just the right way to make your life hell.
By accusing you over something like social networking which is a spot major bugaboo, whoever it was put you right in the ETL's sights.
Can they 'seriously' discipline you?
Not really.
But you are now in a place where anything that blows through will stick to you.
Find out who did this and cut them out of your life.

if u get termed, at ur unemployment hearing just cite first amendment issues, and also the deal in the employee handbook that says your empowered to do whatever you want so long as you 'believe" it's for the best of the company. So if venting on a non serious social network like facebook was honestly what you thought was the best thing for your job performance and the company, then your gold. Also, it sounds like those ETLs are harassing you!!!

We've had issues like this at my store, and it's caused a number of TMs to delete a LOT of TMs from their friends list, and other TMs just don't post anything about Target on FB at all. They worst I've ever done was "I wish they'd make this doorbell louder!" (which was promptly liked by our former FATL who transferred to another store), and I'm kind of afraid to post anything else. Although if you're not gossiping about individual people, I don't see what they can really do. However, I do see how saying "so much for being the best company ever" may have upset the ETLs.

My personal opinion: Don't friend anyone you work with.

Double check all your friends. You probably have someone that you didn't block from your posts or unfriend.

Best thing to do know, is to make yourself seem like you turned yourself around. Stay positive at work and work hard. Once Execs get the idea that you are a frustrated TM, they will start coming down on you hard and ignore any of your accomplishments.

I had to remove several people off my list after a "rough" encounter last year. I'm much better off these days. I'm friends with my GSTL (direct supervisor), but I don't post anything on there that I wouldn't say to their face.

If you want to talk about dumb disciplinary actions, I got a verbal warning today for looking at another TM's schedule.

i'm actually surprised that i haven't been talked to about this yet. lol. but my profile and wall are private and i don't have target tagged as my place of employment... those that know me personally know where i work, anyone else... could probably guess. i removed the only etl i had, and only have a few tl that i think i can trust.

honestly, i don't think it's any of their darn business what you are posting.

I never post anything regarding work on FB, don't have any of my supervisors as friends and delete any that get promoted. I have limited my activity on this forum since being "warned" about Target's stance on internet activity and that "someone" said that I was active here. I think it bothered them that I knew more about what goes on and knew it before them.

It is suggested to read up on spot social media policy. Don't post on fb about spot or your coworkers there, like others have stated. Lay low & do your job. At least here, you are in safe place, provided that you "keep" out certain details about your store in your posts.

Not a great fan of facebook,it is safer here,you really do need to stay low for a while,as you are already so frustrated it would be very easy for them to push you over the edge in a 100 different small ways,we have all seen it happen to the best of people over and over again,almost worked on me at one time but I managed to stay strong.As said above check your list again,shouldnt be too hard to figure it out

Don't post on Target's facebook page anything bad about your job. That you *WILL* get coached for, TRUST me.

(I was drunk off my ass the time I found out abt. the midnight opening on black friday, and I posted a rather hate filled message which got around to my ETL-HR, ETL-SL, STL, and my GSTL. I got a *big* talking to about that one.)

as long as target is not listed as your place of employment, you dont use target lingo, and what you post isnt confidential and exclusive to target team members, there really isnt anything they can do. however since you used the phrase "best company ever" and thats target lingo, then i can see why they are concerned. these basic rules will apply to any place of employment now a days since we live in a social media world.

the thing that gets me is people are saying "but i removed my etl, tl from my friends list". 99% of the time, it's not those guys complaining and turning you in for what you post. it's the people you think are your friends, regular old tm, that turn you in. we've had a zoo this year about social media in my store. one guy was put on final warning. one was let go (but that one involved harassment technically).

I pretty much treat target like I'm living in a dictatorship/communist country. Anything you say against them can land you in trouble. Even posting here worries me and I make sure nobody knows what my name is on here either.

I pretty much treat target like I'm living in a dictatorship/communist country. Anything you say against them can land you in trouble. Even posting here worries me and I make sure nobody knows what my name is on here either.

You should treat it like everyone is listening. Even when saying things that are negative, try and say them in a way that is more constructive. I know that's difficult, but if the post/facebook comment is found, it's not as bad.

To the OP...don't be friends with anyone from work. You'll be fine then.

I decided to unfriend a tm that had become a troublemaker(two faced, but never to me...until the last week) at work and I could only see it getting worse with facebook. I only have one tl on my friends list and she is hardly on. I have had a hugely stressful couple of personal weeks making an even more stressful time at work. I have tried to make sure my posts are ambiguous enough (except the happy that one of my favorite coworkers was back after a long illness) I can't be taken to task for them. But I made a decision last night that this is a job and only a job and so I can't take the stuff thrown at me so personally. So my lips are zipped now!!

You should treat it like everyone is listening. Even when saying things that are negative, try and say them in a way that is more constructive. I know that's difficult, but if the post/facebook comment is found, it's not as bad.

To the OP...don't be friends with anyone from work. You'll be fine then.

I've been very upfront with telling people at work that I can't "friend" them on FB, because I might say something innocent like what you did. Then the other day a person at work started talking to me about my photos and such. I was shocked, so I looked at all my settings and they are all private. This person is friends with a relative, so somehow she could view some of my photos. Not liking how this social network thing sometimes works.

I've been very upfront with telling people at work that I can't "friend" them on FB, because I might say something innocent like what you did. Then the other day a person at work started talking to me about my photos and such. I was shocked, so I looked at all my settings and they are all private. This person is friends with a relative, so somehow she could view some of my photos. Not liking how this social network thing sometimes works.

Yeah you have to set your privacy settings to, "friends only" and not, "friends of friends" because then things like that happen. I have work friends on facebook but I have all of them in a group so that if I am going to post something particularly nasty about work I can prevent them from seeing that particular status update. Instead of that though I normally keep negative things about my job under my hat and attempt to focus on positives.

I've had a long time tm friend who just recently unfriended everyone from the store. Didnt give me details as to why but for pretty much the same reason, his post (I didnt see any) were apparently reaching the wrong ears.

It's all about how you pick and choose the situation. I'm friends with TM's and TL's. We all get frustrated and vent, big deal. I personally find it hilarious your ETL's said they were "disappointed" in you. I'm willing to bet they have bigger problems within their store to worry over than your FB action. Plus other than your 8 hours at Target they have no bars on you. Vent there and just keep a eye on FB. Some people love to start trouble at work.

[mod]All the more reason to be cautious of what you post here and how detailed you get![/mod]

Thanks for your replies, everyone! You've all made me feel a lot better (as you always do on this website-- assuring me that I'm not alone!) I defriended absolutely everyone I work with. After the fact I think I figured out who it was anyways. Our AP TM used to be a regular cashier and thus was friends with a ton of team members on FB. I became curious yesterday when I realized my coworker who often posted things like "f*** Target" and slightly racists things against white team members had never gotten talked to for any of it. I went on FB, and everyone who had gotten talked to had our AP TM as a friend... and the person who wrote the most ridiculous fb posts and never got in trouble for it DIDN'T. In fact, that was the only friend that EVERYONE who got in trouble had in common, and it made it more clear since the other person isn't friends with them at all.

SO, mystery kind of solved. I'm watching what I say anyways. And I'm going to remove most of the details from my original post thanks to the reminder above. :)

Thanks again everyone. You guys are the best.

You said it!

If you are going to rant/complain/roast somebody/something then you have to either prove you are worth listening to or start off by making fun of yourself. It disarms everybody's defense and let's your message through. Everybody at my store complains about Target on Facebook, yet they really only go after the people who don't follow said code.

/May not work at stores near or close to civilization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back