Can they edit your schedule after it posts without your permission?

I already discussed this with my "team lead" and ETL and they provided me with same information I found on workbench. Which at face value they are required to at least give you 24 hours notice and consult with you in person, cannot be an off the clock convo. I've had a lot of problems lately where the higher ups in my store have been going in and changing the work centers I am scheduled in. This has caused several issues for me recently, from putting me in work centers I have requested to not be in to getting shifts covered that I am unable to work for personal reasons.

It can be off the clock because it’s about scheduling so they can just call As long as they don’t talk about workload and such . They can schedule you in any work center per the answered you gave when you got hired which was yes . Is it a dick move ? Yes. Can they do it ? Yes

Changing your work center is ok as long as your scheduled time doesn’t change. If your scheduled 8-4 service desk but, there are 4 call outs on flex you can be shifted to flex if your flex trained. They need to notify or ask you if they need to change your day or time after schedule is posted.

As far as the work center is concerned, I have not actually been trained, just the elearning for backup team members for the work center. With the exception of me asking for help I am self taught. Asking if it being a work center I signed up for, it is not. When I came in, I did in fact tell them it was a work center I had no interest in learning. Then after reading the backup training, I also felt I had too many ethical concerns to which I had brought to and confirmed by our store director. Also after reviewing my original post to be clear, I am talking about actually going in and changing my work center on the computer so it moves me out of a general work center into a specialty work center and not just let's throw bodies at a problem. But without going into too much detail about my target background, I am a well-seasoned tm. However i have never worked in a store that operated like this and that's why I'm trying to get all the information I can regarding this issue.

Last edited:
As far as it goes, it is a work center that I have not actually been trained, just the elearning for backup team members for the work center. As far as it being a work center I signed up for, it is not. When I came in, I did in fact tell them it was a work center I had no interest in learning and after reading the training, I also felt I had too many concerns to which I had brought to and confirmed by our store director.
I understand your concerns but that's just not how it works, you signed up for that area when you applied to target. If you want to be excluded from an area there would have to be a medical reasoning for doing so.

I understand your concerns but that's just not how it works, you signed up for that area when you applied to target. If you want to be excluded from an area there would have to be a medical reasoning for doing so.
When I applied to target the work center did not exist and the notion of it would be at least 10 years after the fact. And there are other exclusions that can apply including to but not limited to the ethical concerns to which my store director and I discussed. I also understand that target doesn't really care about my personal circumstances that were requiring me to give away my shift to begin with (as stated inn my original post) However you're all focusing on the wrong part of this and trying to make it cut and dry and saying that they can do whatever they want to your schedule without talking to you. But since I was trying not to say it because of any sort of implication. The information I found on work bench (as stated in original post) was under reporting integrity concerns. It says that they CANNOT make ANY changes to your schedule without being properly notified. This information is also the information my TL and ETL also told me. So ultimately my goal was to see if this was something I should actually report. I don't feel like I was actually targeted or anything however the problem stems from the fact that I could not give away a shift because they edited my schedule. In my tenure for target this has been the only time I've had an issue that couldn't be solved inside the store.

As far as the work center is concerned, I have not actually been trained, just the elearning for backup team members for the work center. With the exception of me asking for help I am self taught. Asking if it being a work center I signed up for, it is not. When I came in, I did in fact tell them it was a work center I had no interest in learning. Then after reading the backup training, I also felt I had too many ethical concerns to which I had brought to and confirmed by our store director. Also after reviewing my original post to be clear, I am talking about actually going in and changing my work center on the computer so it moves me out of a general work center into a specialty work center and not just let's throw bodies at a problem. But without going into too much detail about my target background, I am a well-seasoned tm. However i have never worked in a store that operated like this and that's why I'm trying to get all the information I can regarding this issue.
If you were gen merch you become inbound is your availability open overnights early morning? If no then you become speciality sales.

When I applied to target the work center did not exist and the notion of it would be at least 10 years after the fact. And there are other exclusions that can apply including to but not limited to the ethical concerns to which my store director and I discussed. I also understand that target doesn't really care about my personal circumstances that were requiring me to give away my shift to begin with (as stated inn my original post) However you're all focusing on the wrong part of this and trying to make it cut and dry and saying that they can do whatever they want to your schedule without talking to you. But since I was trying not to say it because of any sort of implication. The information I found on work bench (as stated in original post) was under reporting integrity concerns. It says that they CANNOT make ANY changes to your schedule without being properly notified. This information is also the information my TL and ETL also told me. So ultimately my goal was to see if this was something I should actually report. I don't feel like I was actually targeted or anything however the problem stems from the fact that I could not give away a shift because they edited my schedule. In my tenure for target this has been the only time I've had an issue that couldn't be solved inside the store.
You can report it if it makes you feel better . But I would say talk to etl hr first and your Sd . They don’t want issues either . They rather lit up the etl then have a call on them .

We are saying it because it is so. They can move you wherever they want. I’m impressed they did it on the schedule. Most of the time they wait til you’re clocked in and say “hey we need to you do this today”.

Not to be one more voice with a message you would rather not hear but it's a thing.
We have a saying around here ASANTS - All Stores Are Not The Same.
Not saying it is right or fair, it just is. Sometimes it is the very same store when they change top management.
It sounds like, from your posts, that you had decent management who took your needs and wants into account then you went to a store where they didn't give a shit.
Now good management does what your first store did but it's hard work so most go with with what your store is doing.
They use the excuse of 'meeting the needs of the store' or the worst one 'shit rolls downhill'.
If they manage to keep the numbers high and the store humming along the upper management will overlook a lot of bullshit like what they did to you.
It may go against the the handbook but that is only in there because there are like five cities and one state where they have laws about that.
So the company makes it a general rule across the entire company to keep out of trouble.
But if a store that isn't in one of those states bends the rules a bit, they will look the other way as long as it isn't too egregious.
If you are the only person who complains don't count on any changes.

Not to be one more voice with a message you would rather not hear but it's a thing.
We have a saying around here ASANTS - All Stores Are Not The Same.
Not saying it is right or fair, it just is. Sometimes it is the very same store when they change top management.
It sounds like, from your posts, that you had decent management who took your needs and wants into account then you went to a store where they didn't give a shit.
Now good management does what your first store did but it's hard work so most go with with what your store is doing.
They use the excuse of 'meeting the needs of the store' or the worst one 'shit rolls downhill'.
If they manage to keep the numbers high and the store humming along the upper management will overlook a lot of bullshit like what they did to you.
It may go against the the handbook but that is only in there because there are like five cities and one state where they have laws about that.
So the company makes it a general rule across the entire company to keep out of trouble.
But if a store that isn't in one of those states bends the rules a bit, they will look the other way as long as it isn't too egregious.
If you are the only person who complains don't count on any changes.
I can't imagine someone wouldn't complain about that.

Maybe I've been lucky with regard to jobs my entire life, but only once have I ever been moved to a different department without being consulted, and that was when I was an hourly manager at Sears. The new store manager moved all the hourly leads around and we had no choice in the matter. Interestingly, in my 30+ years there, we only had two store managers who did that, years apart, and they were both women and had the same first name.

Otherwise, any time I moved it was because I initiated it, or management offered me a position and took it. I turned down a few offers as well, and it didn't affect my job negatively. Like I said, guess I was lucky?

I can't imagine someone wouldn't complain about that.

Maybe I've been lucky with regard to jobs my entire life, but only once have I ever been moved to a different department without being consulted, and that was when I was an hourly manager at Sears. The new store manager moved all the hourly leads around and we had no choice in the matter. Interestingly, in my 30+ years there, we only had two store managers who did that, years apart, and they were both women and had the same first name.

Otherwise, any time I moved it was because I initiated it, or management offered me a position and took it. I turned down a few offers as well, and it didn't affect my job negatively. Like I said, guess I was lucky?

I'd say you had good managers which may be a case of luck or may be a case of you paying attention to where you were going to work.
I've worked in some shitty restaurants and retail places, so yeah there have been times when things went south really quick.

I am not a trained barista, but I have learned how to make refreshers and other simple things at Starbucks. I have come in, expecting to be in my own work center and have been told after I clocked in, by my SD, that I would be spending my shift at starbucks. It's legal. They didn't change my schedule, just my workcenter. Your job description ends with a line that says "anything that fits target's business needs". I've been thrown into many different workcenters because they know I might be a bit annoyed with the change, but I'll do the job. I'm guessing you are the same way. I hope your raise reflected your willingness to be flexible. Mine did.

I can't be more clear then workcenter change is not a change in schedule. They can't change your shift times or dates without discussing with you after it is posted. Now that being said if it is going to be more then a one time thing then being asked should be a courtesy. There has been a lot of structure changes going around through the new pilots so it may be out of there hands to begin with. If you have been at spot for a while this shouldn't be new as it has happen before, probably a few times if you have been here for 10+ years.

The way I see it changing work centers is not changing your schedule. Your schedule is the day and times you work not the work center. If you couldn’t give up shift in the new work center in the app, you could of asked around for someone to take the shift and then gotten an ETL to change it once you found someone to take it.

Back