Can you get coached for not getting carts?

Even though we have such high guest traffic that we often have to send out a cashier or two to support getting carts...this thread has made me insanely appreciate the 140 hours we get each week for CAs. And sometimes that felt a little underwhelming haha. I feel for all you GSAs/GSTLs where you have no one scheduled for the whole day -_-

Even though we have such high guest traffic that we often have to send out a cashier or two to support getting carts...this thread has made me insanely appreciate the 140 hours we get each week for CAs. And sometimes that felt a little underwhelming haha. I feel for all you GSAs/GSTLs where you have no one scheduled for the whole day -_-

This. I'm glad my store has cart attendant coverage during the greater majority of our open hours.

What if a TM has a Medical issue?

I am one of those TMs. In that case, we don't get carts.

Every able bodied person in my store has to take a turn. The GSTL/GSA used to get most of the carts and would occasionally spend hours upon hours in the lot getting carts. And then our survey scores weren't great. As soon as we let the people in charge of the front end actually run the front end, then our survey scores would go up.

Usually all I do is call it out on the walkie that we need carts. About half the time no one responds. When this happens, I call it out again. At this point some of the LODs will back me up immediately and say, "hey, GSA RG has asked, so who is going out?" Other times I have to go to a third time which means I am telling the LOD I need carts and I need their support on getting help for this. So the TMs can ignore me all they want, but then the LOD will just ask them. By the time it gets to this point, either the LOD goes out themselves, they call out a specific TM to do it, or they tell me to ask a specific TM who might not be on walkie. And if I am asking that specific TM, if they say no to me, they are basically saying no to the LOD. Luckily I haven't had that issue, but if it comes to that, then the LOD can take care of it.

Wow, this thread really illustrates the differences from store to store. I'm not sure of how many hours our store has for CA, but I've never seen our store without a CA.. unless they called out. Then they just call one of the others in. Or let one of the cashiers do it for the day. We have one or two that would rather get carts all day then be stuck on register anyway so it always works out.

Really what your GSTL should have done was get a tm or two to go outside. Our tags don't say 'Hardlines' or 'Electronics' - they say Target. I agree with others; you should definitely mention food safety, and making the decision you thought was best. I've always been told we have the power to make our best judgment, so it'd be pretty silly for you to get coached over it.
On a side note, getting carts in the rain really sucks. I always look like a wet dog when I come back in.

Every able bodied person in my store has to take a turn. The GSTL/GSA used to get most of the carts and would occasionally spend hours upon hours in the lot getting carts. And then our survey scores weren't great. As soon as we let the people in charge of the front end actually run the front end, then our survey scores would go up.

Usually all I do is call it out on the walkie that we need carts. About half the time no one responds. When this happens, I call it out again. At this point some of the LODs will back me up immediately and say, "hey, GSA RG has asked, so who is going out?" Other times I have to go to a third time which means I am telling the LOD I need carts and I need their support on getting help for this. So the TMs can ignore me all they want, but then the LOD will just ask them. By the time it gets to this point, either the LOD goes out themselves, they call out a specific TM to do it, or they tell me to ask a specific TM who might not be on walkie. And if I am asking that specific TM, if they say no to me, they are basically saying no to the LOD. Luckily I haven't had that issue, but if it comes to that, then the LOD can take care of it.

I always respond to grabbing carts working in Market...I know it is appreciated and I would much rather help out that way than Backup cashier haha.

Today was nice in that me along with 2 salesfloor all went out and grabbed carts and we were done in no time.

Interesting differences in stores. I only know of cashiers being asked to get carts once since I started - and that was in January and the LOD was irked because people were standing around.

In recent no CA times (we have 2 a day, just not all hours and they leave at 8-9pm), I know the GSTL and the LOD stayed After close for an hour and a half doing carts. The only other people have seen out getting them are the GSA (only one of them), and the ETLs and SrTLs. Oh and my STL gets them before asking anyone at the lanes or FA. He was out there yesterday and today I think!

We justod nt have coverage on the lanes to have us go out there - when we have SrTLs on registers for 90 minutes during the week on backup... Trust me, they will get carts before that!

We've had similar situations, too. Our DTL has reamed the STL and ETL-GE several times in the past few months because the GSA/GSTL is either on a checklane or in the parking lot, unable to respond to calls. I'll still run out and grab them around closing time or if we're in a lull, but during our busier times of day she demanded that we stay within close proximity to the lanes so we're able to respond. She'd rather have us watch the service desk or food ave, or jump on express, than be outside of the building at the far end of the lot when somebody calls for help. it depends on the team we have too.
If we've got a strong team up front it's not as big of a deal if I disappear for 15 minutes, but if the lanes are filled with new team members, it's a smarter move to stay inside and ask for assistance

Last edited:

We've had similar situations, too. Our DTL has reamed the STL and ETL-GE several times in the past few months because the GSA/GSTL is either on a checklane or in the parking lot, unable to respond to calls. I'll still run out and grab them around closing time or if we're in a lull, but during our busier times of day she demanded that we stay within close proximity to the lanes so we're able to respond. She'd rather have us watch the service desk or food ave, or jump on express, than be outside of the building at the far end of the lot when somebody calls for help. it depends on the team we have too.
If we've got a strong team up front it's not as big of a deal if I disappear for 15 minutes, but if the lanes are filled with new team members, it's a smarter move to stay inside and ask for assistance

The hilarious thing about this is at my store instead of the DTL blowing up on the STL or ETL-GE for telling me to be on a lane or in the parking lot he just has the STL or ETL GE call me over and they all explain how this is unacceptable and I shouldn't leave the front end without leadership. When I point out that we no cart attendant, only one cashier and the only person who responds is the LOD telling me to do it, they just say I need to find another way to get it done.

Yeah c'mon what are you, new? Just call out Secivres Tseug 3 times in front of the mirror in the bathroom and the great almighty lord of Target front ends will answer your pleas for carts. I thought that was in the GSA learning plan!

Hey guys, so last night I was doing my weekly food ave shift, and the new GSA came over and asked me to get carts while I was finishing up all the cleaning. First it was 7:30, we close at 8. Second it was pouring rain, and I really hate rain. So I told her that I couldn't, I need to close food ave, and she kept asking and I finally told her that I needed to clean. She left all pissed off, and when I was qmosing the food, she came over and told me I needed to get carts, I told her I was waiting for an LOD to walk off, and I was going home because it was already past my scheduled time and this time she walked away. I have no problem grabbing carts, I do it all the time, but the lanes were dead. We hardly had any guests. She could have easily grabbed them herself. Can I get coached for not getting carts last night?
I agree with you. You plainly stated that you needed to stay with Food Ave in order to close it properly. And getting carts would have put you behind and clock out late. If they needed carts, then they need to send out a Floor TM or someone else.

I don't know if its an official policy, but my ETL-GSs didn't like FATMs going out for carts. Coming back into Food Ave all sweaty or rainsoaked is not a appealing visual to guests. At the end of my tenure, FATMs were never to leave FA even to work One Spot or nearby zone.

There were a few times where my non-Guest Service ETLs were desperate to have me go out but I simply explained I couldn't because my ETL-GS doesn't like FATMs getting carts. Then I always added I needed to do projects in Food Ave.

If you were to be coached I would bring the GSA core roles up and the ethics of having a GSA play the role of the GSTL. A GSA should only be covering breaks and does not have proper authority to take team members out of their workcenter.
I wish the only role of a GSA was covering breaks..

That depends on the store. I have full latitude to ask other TMs to help cover breaks and get carts as needed as long as I spread it out amongst everyone and honor their work and breaks and coverage. Of course the TM is welcome to say no, but then the LOD will just back me up 99% of the time (as soon as I give my reasoning for asking that person) and the TM will look like a jerk for not being a team player.

Retail Girl has this on point. We aren't leaders, but we're still scheduled to be the person overseeing the front lanes and coordinating front end activities. ie: We're asking somebody to get carts because it has to get done, and we'll probably ask the person who is able to it with the least disruption to guest traffic.
Granted, we can't coach, but we can... 1) get the LOD for immediate support if needed, 2) we can do "teach and train's" with team members and act as their team trainer, or 3) we can just document various things like the example above and give them to the GSTL--Who can then follow up with the team members and take actions as needed.

GSA's aren't team leads, but it IS a unique position, and it's usually in a GE-TM's best interest to go along with what they ask of you. Everything we're doing or asking for help with should be related to making sure guests have a great experience and that is, after all, the priority
First thing first, the food ave/Starbucks are NOT Front end and they have separate team leads because they have safety standards and tasks that need to be addressed and many other team leads/ team members do not understand the importance and timeliness.

Obviously TArget uses GSA's interchangeably with GSTL's but at the end of the day a GSA has no more authority then a team member. Everything you just listed a normal TM with team training can do. If it's a case of pulling a TM out of a different work center an LOD should be the one delegating it to the TM. If anything were to happened, and tasks not done, a TM could get written up for helping another workcenter.

Obviously it is "unique" but so are the signing, brand merch, bike building, receiver, etc, etc, but you don't see them pulling other TM from other work centers. That's like the signing TM telling a pog TM to set E34 because I don't want to have to fix all the falling signs from the LOD walk.

I'm not saying that this is how stores are, I'm saying that this is how stores run on paper, and if your being coached from
Not listening to your PEER, and for some reason are written up/fired/whatever, you can fight it because it is not in the GSA core roles to tell the food operations TM to stop what they are doing and get carts. In fact I would call the help line if that was ever the case.

Also, a GSTL should be prepping everything, schedules, breaks, covers and workload for the week. In case of call outs a GSA should always run things by an LOD.

All I'm saying is ALWAYS cover your tracks and have paperwork on your side.

For the years I have worked with Target, Food Ave & Starbucks have always been under the Guest Experience/Front End branch of a store. FATLs and SBTLs have always been GSTLs with Food Service/Safety training who report to the ETL-GE.

Then there are now stores who suffered the drastic TL cuts where the Consumables TL who have the added duty of overseeing Food Ave.

For the years I have worked with Target, Food Ave & Starbucks have always been under the Guest Experience/Front End branch of a store. FATLs and SBTLs have always been GSTLs with Food Service/Safety training who report to the ETL-GE.

Then there are now stores who suffered the drastic TL cuts where the Consumables TL who have the added duty of overseeing Food Ave.

If you go to apply online they are differentiated as different branches.

If you were to be coached I would bring the GSA core roles up and the ethics of having a GSA play the role of the GSTL. A GSA should only be covering breaks and does not have proper authority to take team members out of their workcenter.
I wish the only role of a GSA was covering breaks..

That depends on the store. I have full latitude to ask other TMs to help cover breaks and get carts as needed as long as I spread it out amongst everyone and honor their work and breaks and coverage. Of course the TM is welcome to say no, but then the LOD will just back me up 99% of the time (as soon as I give my reasoning for asking that person) and the TM will look like a jerk for not being a team player.

Retail Girl has this on point. We aren't leaders, but we're still scheduled to be the person overseeing the front lanes and coordinating front end activities. ie: We're asking somebody to get carts because it has to get done, and we'll probably ask the person who is able to it with the least disruption to guest traffic.
Granted, we can't coach, but we can... 1) get the LOD for immediate support if needed, 2) we can do "teach and train's" with team members and act as their team trainer, or 3) we can just document various things like the example above and give them to the GSTL--Who can then follow up with the team members and take actions as needed.

GSA's aren't team leads, but it IS a unique position, and it's usually in a GE-TM's best interest to go along with what they ask of you. Everything we're doing or asking for help with should be related to making sure guests have a great experience and that is, after all, the priority
First thing first, the food ave/Starbucks are NOT Front end and they have separate team leads because they have safety standards and tasks that need to be addressed and many other team leads/ team members do not understand the importance and timeliness.

Obviously TArget uses GSA's interchangeably with GSTL's but at the end of the day a GSA has no more authority then a team member. Everything you just listed a normal TM with team training can do. If it's a case of pulling a TM out of a different work center an LOD should be the one delegating it to the TM. If anything were to happened, and tasks not done, a TM could get written up for helping another workcenter.

Obviously it is "unique" but so are the signing, brand merch, bike building, receiver, etc, etc, but you don't see them pulling other TM from other work centers. That's like the signing TM telling a pog TM to set E34 because I don't want to have to fix all the falling signs from the LOD walk.

I'm not saying that this is how stores are, I'm saying that this is how stores run on paper, and if your being coached from
Not listening to your PEER, and for some reason are written up/fired/whatever, you can fight it because it is not in the GSA core roles to tell the food operations TM to stop what they are doing and get carts. In fact I would call the help line if that was ever the case.

Also, a GSTL should be prepping everything, schedules, breaks, covers and workload for the week. In case of call outs a GSA should always run things by an LOD.

All I'm saying is ALWAYS cover your tracks and have paperwork on your side.

This really shows how differently stores can be run. It sounds like you're at a high volume store, or at least have a high sales volume cafe! At our ULV, Food Ave is under the GSTL, we don't have an FA-TL. All of our food service team members (except one old lady) are cross trained as cart attendants and food ave, and work 50/50 in each for the most part (I probably should have mentioned that earlier.)

Like I've agreed with in previous posts, the food avenue duties and food safety still come first of course... but for our store we have an average of 20-40 food ave sales all day long, most of which are icee's/Popcorn and an occasional hotdog or pretzel. Our cafe is so dead that our FA-TM separates and staples all the stacks of pogs and revisions every week, still does all of their required temping, cleaning, date checking, opening/closing, etc etc, hands out samples, and still has a good two hours of complete free time where they literally stand outside the cafe and do nothing except greet guests walking by. So in our case, it makes sense to have our food service team member (who is also keyed and trained as a cart attendant) to run out and get carts when they aren't doing any of their safety/cleaning tasks. On a busy day, I might have to get one guest a hotdog or icee while the FATM is outside. I was covering for somebody today and spent a good portion of my food ave shift outside getting carts, so believe me it's not like I won't do it, but when we say "hey can you run out and grab some carts" to a food ave team member, it has never been a problem. Because that's just how our store does it, because our store hire's as food service/cart attendant.

Our GSTL also leads consumables, so she only spends 3 shifts a week up front; leaving most shifts for GSA's, so of course we have to take on a little more. Because that's how our exec's want us to do it. My post that was quoted sounded snarky patronizing and rude, and i apologize for that; we don't run around pretending to be team leaders, and we definitely will not say "STOP temping your food right now we need carts!" We walk up to them and say "hey we're starting to run low on carts, can you run out when you're in a good spot and bring in a row?" because they're usually standing there waiting for guests that probably will not ever come, because they're caught up on everything and you can only repeatedly clean and sanitize something so many times before it gets redundant.

Our ETL's and LOD's recognize GSA's as stand-in leads for the front end; if we call them and ask them to approve asking a FA-TM to get carts, asking a cashier zone accessories, or any other little thing like that, they will literally say "Yeah, whatever needs doing" and give us an annoyed "why the F*** did you just waste my time asking" look. My STL and ETL's all just expect that we do stuff like that, so we do. We have to be crafty about it, in order to gain points with the rest of the team and not rub off the wrong way, but ultimately they do want the gsa's at my store to do that. Which is why we do. It may not be best practice, but that's become standard expected routine for every front end team member, team leader, sales floor team member, and LOD at our store.

Personal Side note: Since I'm on the bench along with being a GSA, my ETL wants me to be more of a leader than some of our newer gsa's as well.. AKA she reams my *** if I'm not doing regular teach-and-trains with our front end team members, engaging and inspiring the team to drive conversion and profitable sales through great guest service, planning and organizing checklane and onespot POG's and resets, watching for low-speed cashiers and helping them find techniques to improve their speed scores, and a bunch of other stuff. She gave me all of these in written expectations that she had signed, so I have my tracks covered if anything ever becomes a problem. I covered for our GSTL for a few months while we didn't have one, and did everything except the coachings (which I still basically did second-hand by passing them along to a TL that I partnered with.) It was a developmental opportunity that they offered me and I took it. They weren't anticipating our GSTL to come back so they were basically bumping me into the position before it was officially open, but then she did come back and I stayed a GSA.

Hopefully this cleared up anything that may have been lingering regarding my posts in this thread and why I tend to overstep the boundaries of a GSA (I do it because my ETL, old STL, current STL, and DTL all tell me to.)

Last edited:
You must be an org 1? I'm an org 2 and we are allotted a TL for target cafe, Starbucks and guest experience. Our food TM are strictly target cafe and Starbucks. I don't believe we have a considerable amount of sales in the cafe which is why they can cover Starbucks in their off time. We also have at the least a mid shift for Cart attendants every day. I wonder why, even under mytime, hours are dispersed SO differently. I assume if two stores are both making the same amount then they would still have the same average of hours even if the time is different?

That's really bizarre. Your GSTL shouldn't be over in consumables leading.. Are the PA's not efficient? The consumable role was killed with AE so it's just curious..

I think it's everywhere that leadership is expecting more from us. I take over a leadership role in my store, so much so that even though I left my original position, three years later I'm still dictating my previous workload and directing the team. I was actually called in the office once because they wanted to know why I had issues with delegating.

I know exactly where you're coming from and it happens in my store as well, my point is, if for some reason I didn't perform something out of my core roles I could not be coached on it. A team member can't be coached on not listening to another team member. That's all I'm saying. You can't get coached for going against target brand, you know?

Don't worry, you didn't come off that way!

Our SBTMs and FATMs check in with us when the SB/FA TL isn't working. And as GSAs, we are required to be first responders to them if there isn't anyone in the store who is trained (which is most of the time). So at our store, they are mostly considered front end, even though we tend to leave them to their own devices 99% of the time.

As GSAs, we can't pull people out of their departments for things like you mentioned...stocking candy, zoning one spot, setting endcaps, etc. But at my store, things that involve the guest experience...such as fast checkout and getting carts, we are totally allowed to pull people from other departments. In the same manner, if there are three people staring at our electronics TM, he/she has every right to call out and politely insist that someone come over and help out. It's what we all do.

And no, in the end, you don't have to listen to a GSA...they are just a TM. But depending on the store, the LOD is not going to take kindly to a TM ignoring a GSA's requests and will likely ask that you work with them, or be coached for not being a team player.

Yep, I'm at an org 1! Pretty small. We don't have a Starbucks, just a food avenue, so that probably explains a lot too.

The only front end leader is the GSTL, who like I said usually isn't up there.. She delegates everything out to the GSA's and gives "ownership" to each of us for certain parts of the front; Food Ave, Service desk (myself), OneSpot, Conversion&speed. I definitely agree with you and think she should be up front, leading. Since she isn't, I'm one of the lucky souls that gets a weekly quota for doing "amazing teach and train moments" when i see 'opportunities,' documenting them, and passing them along to the GSTL.

Since we aren't Pfresh we don't have any PA's. We have a sole sales floor Sr.TL and, long story short, our current GSTL and current Sales floor TL should have been switched around.. Our Sales floor SrTL has been with the company for less than a year and got keys way too fast, so he can't really manage his time and departments effectively, so they make our GSTL handle grocery vendors and the dry-consumables area. Lol.

The not being coached thing makes sense as far as the OP's situation (which I didn't carefully read) and most others too, I would imagine. our closing food ave literally sets up their schedules as "carts, food ave, carts" during one shift so it's sort of a gray area in my neck of the woods.

If I'm working anywhere else in the store and the GSA asks me to go get carts, I'll almost always say no, because i'm not about to get all sweaty and gross pushing carts for half an hour, then walk back in and try to pick up where I left off on a planogram or 4x4. Like retail girl said though, if any one of us asks a fellow front end TM to run out and grab a row and they say no, we'll probably just tell the LOD that we need to get some carts because we're starting to run low. Sometimes they'll watch the lanes for us, but usually they'll just come up and send the same person we just asked; the team all knows that's how it works too, so we're kind of just saving a step haha.

Last edited:
The only place where PTS and I differ is that if I am elsewhere on the floor, if I am asked to get carts, I will, or I would until I was put on the disabled list. I fully believe that if I wouldn't do it for the front end while on the salesfloor (within reason as long as we are rotating through everyone) then I can't ask others to do the same thing.

But in the end, we're all on the same team...the OP should not have been coached in this situation...I would never ask someone to get carts at the time they are supposed to clock out (unless it's closing time...but by then we usually know who is staying late to do that, anyway).

Our SBTMs and FATMs check in with us when the SB/FA TL isn't working. And as GSAs, we are required to be first responders to them if there isn't anyone in the store who is trained (which is most of the time). So at our store, they are mostly considered front end, even though we tend to leave them to their own devices 99% of the time.

As GSAs, we can't pull people out of their departments for things like you mentioned...stocking candy, zoning one spot, setting endcaps, etc. But at my store, things that involve the guest experience...such as fast checkout and getting carts, we are totally allowed to pull people from other departments. In the same manner, if there are three people staring at our electronics TM, he/she has every right to call out and politely insist that someone come over and help out. It's what we all do.

And no, in the end, you don't have to listen to a GSA...they are just a TM. But depending on the store, the LOD is not going to take kindly to a TM ignoring a GSA's requests and will likely ask that you work with them, or be coached for not being a team player.

@Retail Girl
So as a GSA you can pull a Logistics TM that pushing the floor to get carts?

I was coached once for not. It was freaking hot as hell outside and I basically said no in a polite manner. I got talk to about my "attitude" later. I realize now I might have been in the wrong, but I don't really care at this point.

@Retail Girl
Are you actually pulling other TM or calling for backup? At my store if we need carts the GSTL/GSA will ask if anyone is free over the walkie, ask for someone to watch the lanes so they can get them, or wait until it's not busy and have a cashier. Usually someone ends up volunteering.

@Retail Girl
Are you actually pulling other TM or calling for backup? At my store if we need carts the GSTL/GSA will ask if anyone is free over the walkie, ask for someone to watch the lanes so they can get them, or wait until it's not busy and have a cashier. Usually someone ends up volunteering.

We call it on the walkie looking for a response. If no one volunteers, I start calling out specific departments...generally sales floor. I would have to be pretty desperate to ask flow to do anything...though there are a couple that will cashier as needed.

Back