Archived carrying personal cell phones at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the Get Appy posters. I'm not sure if that means my store is letting us carry phones, now. I only used to keep mine in my pocket if I forgot my watch. My old S2 def didn't have the battery power for that, anyway. And I dropped it on the screen on the sidewalk outside of the store last month. So, I don't even have a smartphone right now. I'd buy a new one, since I was gonna switch carriers soon anyway, but I'm waiting for the nexus 5 announcement... or motomaker to not be an ATT exclusive.

I use (well, used to) the Target app for my own shopping. I make a list at home and pull it up in-store and it gives me aisle numbers. I'm iffy about bringing my (future) phone on the floor, though. So much opportunity for damage. I wouldn't wanna opt to be in a position where damage to my phone could occur at the hands of someone else.

Everyone at my store has their cell phone on them. One or two of them I would say even use them for non-work-related purposes... But I didn't say that!

Most of us do use our phones to help guests, and I personally really love being able to do that! I have an unlimited data plan (which I've found to be much faster than my stores WiFi) so I don't have any problem helping guests with my phone.

It's also optional. They don't EXPECT us to do so, they just tell us we can if we feel so inclined. I think the target app and cartwheel is awesome, so I'm more than happy to share them with guests.

Also, I have the otter box (thank god, I really need it) so I'm not too worried about damage to my phone. :)

Yeah I've seen fellow TM's use their phones to check time and vibe the be "appy" (pun intended by spot) and sometimes it works great using the target app as a personal locator if you're putting some push away or re-shopping stuff as PDA's at my store are hard to come by lol

When I'm in Electronics I tend to use it to help guests find things on manufacture websites and sometimes they even ask about the phone itself lolz sometimes I get questions about features and stuff when the mobile guy isn't around and I show them what it does (Android) Note 3 win.

I've cashiered too but I didn't see much use for it so when I cashier I tend to leave it in the locker so when I'm taking my 45 I can watch a episode or something

I get 45 lunches too. We are highly discouraged from skipping breaks, we could get in a lot of trouble.

And back on the subject of phones, I keep no e on me at all times out of habit. At the lanes of the opportunity arises I'll show a guest the cartwheel or target app :)

I'm more amazed that someone has pockets big enough for a Note 3 haha. 45 minute lunches would be nice, though.

I'm more amazed that someone has pockets big enough for a Note 3 haha. 45 minute lunches would be nice, though.

Lol ikr? I use the belt clip too sometimes...but my hand is still bigger than the screen :I but it is great for that little TV time

And yeps I'm in a 45 state :D

Just last week I was talking to one of our GSAs about this because she always has her phone on her. She uses it to show guests how to use Cartwheel. I asked if I could do the same and was told, no that only GSAs, GSTLs, and other TLs can have phones on the floor. I have always kept mine in my locker, only once did I bring in down and that's when my GSTL was asking about extending my hours and I needed to look at my calendar. When we were done I asked if I should run it up to my locker, she said "No, just keep it out of sight. You can put it away on your break." I have noticed other TMs with their phones out on the floor, obviously texting and wondered if I should say something to them or report them or ignore it. So far, ignoring it has won out, but I do know that a TM in my old Target got terminated for having his phone on him.

Don't snitch on other team members. It just makes you seem petty and then you get labeled as the person who ruined it for everyone. Eventually they'll get theirs.

At my store all ETL's have told us to carry our phones on us to show guests the apps. They've been really trying to get us to push them. Get APPY

At my store all ETL's have told us to carry our phones on us to show guests the apps. They've been really trying to get us to push them. Get APPY

Very helpful for those of us who are stuck in 2004 and don't have smart phones because we can't afford/don't want to pay for a data plan. :facepalm:

Very helpful for those of us who are stuck in 2004 and don't have smart phones because we can't afford/don't want to pay for a data plan. :facepalm:

I actually had an etl who informed me that I should get a smart phone to show these things when I told him I only had a not-so-smart phone. Didn't seem to phase him when I told him I couldn't afford a smart phone. I did find out from another team member that I could get Cartwheel on my Kindle but can't carry that around with me.

I actually had an etl who informed me that I should get a smart phone to show these things when I told him I only had a not-so-smart phone. Didn't seem to phase him when I told him I couldn't afford a smart phone. I did find out from another team member that I could get Cartwheel on my Kindle but can't carry that around with me.

I haven't told my ETLs about my iPod Touch. :D I would've told him, "I'll get a smart phone if you pay for my data plan every month."

At my store, we weren't allowed to, but then the apps came out and now we are.
"But only to show the guests the Target apps!"

I've seen a TL answer (pick up a line) the phone, from the operator from his personal cell phone. You know the drill "Hardlines there is a call on XXXX for toys" and normally you go to the red phones and pick up, but this time I saw the TL wakies and say "Operator I got that call for toys on XXXX" and then he uses his cell phone to pickup the call. hmmmmmmm..... anyone know how to do this, I'm just a PA ??

I've seen a TL answer (pick up a line) the phone, from the operator from his personal cell phone. You know the drill "Hardlines there is a call on XXXX for toys" and normally you go to the red phones and pick up, but this time I saw the TL wakies and say "Operator I got that call for toys on XXXX" and then he uses his cell phone to pickup the call. hmmmmmmm..... anyone know how to do this, I'm just a PA ??

It was probably just a cordless phone. My store has 3 or so floating around.

If the service wasn't so crappy in our store, I would gladly carry my phone around. But if you have the provider that I do in our store, your phone dies within about 20 minutes of being on, even with being connected to the WiFi. I do talk about Cartwheel, especially being a PA and knowing how much of our food is on there.

[cue softlines TM texting behind a rack of clothing]

I can't think of any text that would be important enough to risk my job for.
Waaait, when Rihanna's first Mac collection was released, I took my break during that time to order a lipstick from it and couldn't get through before my 15 ended. I "checked the fitting room" so much that day, then ended up ordering the lipstick from the bathroom. I'm horrible. The lipstick is fantastic, though and it was my birthday. My phone died shortly after my order went through. It was glorious. I've never used my phone on the floor any other day, though. Swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back