Cart attendant

Hey guys sorry about the rant here. I've been a cart attendant for 3 months now and I'm getting a bit frustrated. At the store I work at people don't really give a shit about us and we literally do everything from carts to trash and I don't know why but management just spends more time giving us shit for things than they do saying thank u. I mean we do the shit no one else wants to do yet everyone just keeps expecting more and more from us. Sorry for the rant I'm just like getting annoyed.

I've learned, while at spot, that you won't always get the feedback you want, when you want it. My TLs suck at giving people a thumbs up or an atta boy. I thank the cart attendants quite a bit. They have a hard job and I am grateful for their help. I start to sweat when we get down to 2 rows of carts because that's when my ETL gives me shit for not being on top of the carts, so when the guy comes in who rocks at his job, I make sure he knows I am happy to see him. So what is your feedback from your fellow TMs?

As a former 9 year TM who has done carts, what you described is part of the job. Carts, trash, restroom checks, backup cashiering, load large items into cars, push defects to the back, hanger boxes bag the lanes. Even dumping grease from FoodAve when that was a thing.

I worked stores were I spent more time on the lanes than actually carts because the workload was light. Then at other stores, carts was race to get things done but manageable.

I will say there are those stores that will mis-manage their CAs. The only store I really had a beef was my Super. It was Cart Attendant drop everything and do this.
  • Cart machines breaking down all the time so you ended up pushing by hand or move at a crippled 2 mph in the little riding cart pusher
    • Work tickets for broken carts or machines never fulfilled.
    • Untarp the carts during a rain or snow storm. - Whats the point
  • Stock absorb powder and spray bottles (even though all the supplies were locked in the maintenance office) at every spill station and lanes
    • Curious on why CAs had to do this when we had to radio Building Services (or current title) to unlock their room to get the items
  • Constantly monitoring the can/bottle recycler. For those that have these machines - You Understand 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 Constant traffic on weekends & evenings
    • Crush all cans/bottle from the break room every morning- that would be COVID central now
    • Crush all boxed cans that guests leave uncrushed; at times filled with used tobacco, cigarettes, and spit.
    • Log any issues with the machine
    • Mop the floors
    • Log new and unknown UPCs
    • Load new receipt
    • Clear jams
    • Clean the machines
    • Setup new bins for bottles and cans
    • If SD takes boxes, they wouldn't put them in the can room; only 5 feet to the room. Some of this could have easy been teamed with SD.
  • Constantly monitoring the backroom doors for carts. The backroom couldn't take the effort to push the carts back to the front.
  • I am working carts in the lot, and I get called in to clean up a spill. TMs will place a cart over the spill and walk away. When its easier for another TM to clean it up themselves when it will take me 10 minutes to get inside and make it over to the spill.

Job duty wise, my other stores were great. I was just suprised I had one store leadership when the restrooms had an DEFCON 1 CODE BROWN!!! incidents, the Execs would clean it.

Last edited:
If I read right, the OP isn't really complaining about the duties per se, but how everyone never says a nice word, not even when piling more on during a shift. A bit of recognition is the difference between a bad job and a decent job with hard duties. I don't think the OP deserves to get botched at for wanting the latter.

I've learned, while at spot, that you won't always get the feedback you want, when you want it. My TLs suck at giving people a thumbs up or an atta boy. I thank the cart attendants quite a bit. They have a hard job and I am grateful for their help. I start to sweat when we get down to 2 rows of carts because that's when my ETL gives me shit for not being on top of the carts, so when the guy comes in who rocks at his job, I make sure he knows I am happy to see him. So what is your feedback from your fellow TMs?
The other tms are thankfully, thankful and will offer to help me out. I think in this situation it just comes down to shitty management unfortunately.

That is your job to do.
Ya I'm not complaining about the workload the difference between getting things done and not comes down to time management for me at least. However I am upset about the lack of appreciation for the work I do however because let's be honest no one wants to be cleaning bathrooms or doing the trash etc. So to my point appreciation is always nice like a thank you or whatever.

Hey guys sorry about the rant here. I've been a cart attendant for 3 months now and I'm getting a bit frustrated. At the store I work at people don't really give a shit about us and we literally do everything from carts to trash and I don't know why but management just spends more time giving us shit for things than they do saying thank u. I mean we do the shit no one else wants to do yet everyone just keeps expecting more and more from us. Sorry for the rant I'm just like getting annoyed.
Been at my store for 6 months, The work itself isn’t too hard but management and even other coworkers will fuck you and not treat you the best. It’s unfortunate and I hate it and thought of quitting multiple times but I my seasonal term ended and kept my job after the 6 months were up and they somewhat treat me a little better. My advice is if they continue to treat you wrong or expect you to do so much, Just fly under the radar if you can and sometimes you can get away with not responding to them on the walkie when not at the front of the store. Lucky for me it works some of the time. And it’s unfortunate people that work there or in the world don’t understand how much shit we put up with compared to other positions or departments in the store.

Last edited:
Back