Archived Cart attending tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTGOz

Suitable
Next week I have been scheduled for multiple days doing Cart Attendant. I've done it for a few times, one time I did it for a full shift instead of Cashiering. I have the plastic carts at my store, and we're a Super Target. We have a cart pusher machine and I've gotten used to it's functions.

However, I have much difficulty controlling 25-30 carts at once, 3/4 of my parking lot is built a few feet higher and then slopes down into level ground and then my store. I haven't hit a car yet (woo hoo) and I hope I never do. I have trouble steering these carts especially... when I get a line of about 10-15 carts steering into the next aisle of the lot to get to the other cart holders often the carts do NOT wanna turn. Usually they'll turn about 45 degrees and then get stuck in that position and go straight in that position. It's super annoying. I think I've got a bit of a technique now to avoid that and just do one aisle at a time and then return the carts to the store and go do the other aisle and rinse and repeat.

What are your tips on making cart attending easier? And what are some tips in general that you might have? Thanks.

When I would push carts on the regular I never bothered with the machine. I felt like it took far too long to bring in carts (for pretty much the exact same reasons you listed), so I focused on just gathering 7-10 carts to push into the building myself. Sure they'd be gone by the time I was ready with the next set, but I at least felt more accomplished doing so. The plastic carts turn like ass and do their own thing.

When I would push carts on the regular I never bothered with the machine. I felt like it took far too long to bring in carts (for pretty much the exact same reasons you listed), so I focused on just gathering 7-10 carts to push into the building myself. Sure they'd be gone by the time I was ready with the next set, but I at least felt more accomplished doing so. The plastic carts turn like ass and do their own thing.

I've heard people who used the rope they give to tie the carts together and pull the carts into the store. Might try that too... just our store tied that rope to the pusher and I have no idea if they want that rope to be kept there. I'll have to ask on my official cart attending shifts.

I don't understand the problem with steering. That is controlled by guiding the front cart one way or another. Where the lead cart goes, the rest will follow.

???

Works fine for the metal frame carts but not for the plastic ones.
The plastic carts stack such that the front wheels are slightly off the ground so you have to push down to steer them or they can fishtail in the middle of a long line, hence the rope.

Then I won't be of much help. We have the metal / plastic models'

Push fewer carts?

At my store you get coached if you have more than 8 carts at a time. One of our cart attendants who is painfully slow always gets written up for it. I encourage him you can do more in 10 minutes (5-7 carts at a time) than it taking you 15 minutes to get 10 carts at once.

I've heard people who used the rope they give to tie the carts together and pull the carts into the store. Might try that too... just our store tied that rope to the pusher and I have no idea if they want that rope to be kept there. I'll have to ask on my official cart attending shifts.

Costco CA do this all the time, seems to work like a charm for them.

The handful of times I did carts, I just pushed 7 by hand. It was a lot easier than dealing with a long line on the cart pusher. We have the all-plastic carts.

Yeh, the metal/plastic older carts were heavier but I seldom had problems bringing them in on the pusher.
The plastic ones are lighter & can take off on the slightest incline.
Saw a dad tearing after a runaway cart with two toddlers squealing happily.
When he came panting back with the cart, he was telling the kids "Let's not tell Mommy about our 'fun' today...."

I got to push carts tuesday because we were short on carts and our CA didn't come in until 5pm(we have a lack of CAs right now) and I switched between using the pusher and just pushing it myself. I made sure I did only one parking lot aisle and then went straight back and went to the next aisle to get the cart areas in that aisle.

It's amazing your store has any CA hours at all.

It really is. One kid is a college kid who didn't leave with the rest, other guy is my friend in high school who is unsurprisingly doing college as well outside of high school.

My store has two slots in the parking lot that are cement and it's pretty much a safe area for people to walk in and the Handicapped spots are there. I sometimes dock my pusher there and collect carts up to 30 and quickly push them into the store because I know it's technically a designated guest "sidewalk". I don't really like blocking cars in with a big train of carts when I'm using the pusher so that's why I dock there, free from cars.

I know it's probably something I shouldn't do, but my GSTL was watching me one day and said nothing about it but my highschool buddy pleaded that I never ever do that again(???) and I didn't bother asking because they wanted me back on the check lanes and he had his cart attending to do. Scold me if you must, but I have no idea if this is against the rules/policy or just morally wrong. Thanks.

EDIT: I should elaborate slightly more, I don't block the Handicapped part of this cement slot at all. All carts & pusher are on the side opposite of the walking area on the cemented area.

I block anything, anytime... but just for a short time.

I am a CA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back