Archived Cart Wheels Lock Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew something was up, but the ones at my store are duds.

In places like CA, this is heavily implemented. There's a little magnet under the street, that when you push the cart over the line... the wheels lock up, making the cart much harder to steal. It's effective. The wheels lock, and you'd probably bust your head open trying to get the cart to go over the line.

It may sound... like a complete and utter waste of money. But, these shopping carts cost anywhere from $100-$150 a piece. And with some stores reporting weekly losses of carts, in the double digits, it only makes since.

It's also a luxury for people retrieving carts. No finding carts across the shopping center or, in some nearby field. They lockup, before it happens :)

So, why are those stickers on a few of our carts?
A mistake?
I see nothing different with the wheels.

A mistake?

In your case, I'd imagine, another store in your area had a surplus or a few extras, and Target brought a few more in for your store.

A mistake?

Like the fake Security Company stickers?
Just to keep people honest.

Or they are standard for other states and are applied to all the carts.

We have had the locking carts since the store opened. What's funny is our store has three parking areas the guests use... the main lot in front of the store, a second lot that is mainly for a bank, and a parking garage underneath the store which is mainly for the restaurants near the garage, but also has stairs to Target. The stairs lead you outside and you have to walk like 100 feet to the main entrance.

Anyway our lock strip (It's on the concrete and is yellow with a picture of a cart in a "no" sign) is right before the door to the stairs so you often see carts abandoned at that strip. Guests hate it because they have to take their crap out and walk down the stairs or around the building (or get their car).

Although people do get away with them. We are by a few high rise apartment buildings. Years ago, I was reading the guest comments and one of them said "I am the manager of blah blah blah Apartments. I have spoken to management of your store on many occasions. If you do not come collect your 50 carts that are on my property, I will throw them in my dumpster."

The reason your carts don't lock is because you do not have a gate keeper installed. A gate keeper sets up a perimeter around your parking lot. When a cart goes past the set perimeter the wheels lock. Not all store have them installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back