Archived Cash Back On Registers

Status
Not open for further replies.
As cashier, if somebody asks for Cash Back how does this this process work? Is it before, during, or after the transaction is completed? If somebody can just clear up how to do Cash Back for guest's on register. Thank You.

If they ask for cash back it'll pop up on your register the amount that they want and you have to press k8 to acknowledge the amount and then your drawer will pop open and you give them the cash and the receipt.

Cash back is limited to $40 per day. If they do another transaction with cash back it will be denied.

This is not true. If they are using an outside debit card, they can do as many transactions as they want for cash back...and I've resorted to giving them fives and ones when they do it to me three or four times early in the day.

As for the REDcard, you can do cash back once for each day (or once a weekend, until the payment clears the bank). If you ask for $10 back, you don't get a chance to get more cash later.

Fun times: I will say to a guest, "would you like that back as a ten dollar bill?" They will say yes, and immediately say, "can I get two fives?" Then I have to bite my tongue not to ask them why they just said yes to the ten.

Luckily never have people change their mind, though I tend to be a bit more verbose.

Would you like that back as a $10, or some other denomination?

I do get weird looks though every now and then as if they aren't quite sure what the word denomination means and are trying to figure it out :p

Luckily never have people change their mind, though I tend to be a bit more verbose.

Would you like that back as a $10, or some other denomination?

I do get weird looks though every now and then as if they aren't quite sure what the word denomination means and are trying to figure it out :p

Most people are stupid. Use as few big words as possible.

And to add...It can only be done through debit.

Guests cannot write a check over the amount.
kinda true. there is one exception: Travelers Checks. if the totals is say $60 and they have a $100 travelers check then they get $40 cash back. to process them, afer you press total press k5 other checks and then k2 travelers check. on a side note be very wary about theese, as they are very rarely used and often fraud. a real one is always underwritten by visa, amex, mastercard, or discover. if it is from a bank it will always have that banks logo in a watermark. They usually only come in denominatiins of 50 or 100's anything else is almost always fraud. always look for holograms on the paper,.and as always printed in dull ink if it shines to the light it's fake. if you think its fake deny it and call over a supervisor and ap immediately, especially if they would get an absurd amount of change like $100 or $200 back.

And to add...It can only be done through debit.

Guests cannot write a check over the amount.
kinda true. there is one exception: Travelers Checks. if the totals is say $60 and they have a $100 travelers check then they get $40 cash back. to process them, afer you press total press k5 other checks and then k2 travelers check. on a side note be very wary about theese, as they are very rarely used and often fraud. a real one is always underwritten by visa, amex, mastercard, or discover. if it is from a bank it will always have that banks logo in a watermark. They usually only come in denominatiins of 50 or 100's anything else is almost always fraud. always look for holograms on the paper,.and as always printed in dull ink if it shines to the light it's fake. if you think its fake deny it and call over a supervisor and ap immediately, especially if they would get an absurd amount of change like $100 or $200 back.

I always forget about traveler's checks. I think I've maybe had two guests use traveler's checks in 4 years.

Traveler's checks also come in $20 denominations.
We see them during fest weekends & vacation periods.
Remember if a guest is using more than one check to enter each one individually.
IE: Total is $50 & guest gives you 3 $20 checks, you hit K2, select $20, insert the check for imprinting. Register will ask how else are you paying, hit K2 & repeat the process. After the third check is imprinted, the drawer will open & the screen will tell you the amt of change due back to the guest. Traveler's checks are purchased by CASH which is why the guest can get cash back.
Also remember that the guest MUST sign the checks in front of you (counter signing) & the signature should match the sig already on the check (the one the guest should've signed when they first purchased the checks).

Remember if a guest is using more than one check to enter each one individually.
IE: Total is $50 & guest gives you 3 $20 checks, you hit K2, select $20, insert the check for imprinting. Register will ask how else are you paying, hit K2 & repeat the process. After the third check is imprinted, the drawer will open & the screen will tell you the amt of change due back to the guest. Traveler's checks are purchased by CASH which is why the guest can get cash back.
Also remember that the guest MUST sign the checks in front of you (counter signing) & the signature should match the sig already on the check (the one the guest should've signed when they first purchased the checks).

Unless the POS software changed, there's a separate option for traveler's checks. It's K5 Other Checks > K1 Traveler's Check. K2 Check is only for personal checks for the exact amount.

Oops... I stand corrected. I'm not at the front lanes much anymore thankfully.

Unless the POS software changed, there's a separate option for traveler's checks. It's K5 Other Checks > K1 Traveler's Check. K2 Check is only for personal checks for the exact amount.
Sorry, K5 for other checks but I thought K2 was traveler's check & K1 was rebate check. Reverse?

Sorry, K5 for other checks but I thought K2 was traveler's check & K1 was rebate check. Reverse?

Yeah, reverse. I've had to do K5 > K2 a lot more times than K5 > K1 because my store gets a lot of "formula guests." When I was a cashier, it seemed like I'd have at least one guest with multiple Enfamil checks every shift.

The times I've done CO, I always have to comb thru the coupons to pull out rebate checks that were processed as coupons. Can these newbs not READ? It even states on the check itself.

The times I've done CO, I always have to comb thru the coupons to pull out rebate checks that were processed as coupons. Can these newbs not READ? It even states on the check itself.

Frankly I'd blame the closing GSA/GSTL there as well. They collect the coupons at the end of the night from the lanes, they should be spotting the huge rebate checks mixed in with the coupons when doing so.

Frankly I'd blame the closing GSA/GSTL there as well. They collect the coupons at the end of the night from the lanes, they should be spotting the huge rebate checks mixed in with the coupons when doing so.

Yep...we're held to weeding that stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back