Archived Cash registers and EBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
Today we had trouble with the EBT cards.....seems that the EBT option isn't showing up on the card readers......only asking for SNAP cards or debit cards.

Is this just my store? If not got any knowledge about what happened....and will EBT be put back on the screen as an option?

It may be your store, or else you have a different type of card reader than I'm familiar with. Normally, when a guest swipes an EBT card, their options are SNAP* and EBT Cash because the system recognizes right away that it's an EBT card.

*The EBT/Food Stamp program had its name changed to SNAP in 2008. The change wasn't made in the POS software until fairly recently; now it says SNAP instead of EBT Food.

It may be your store, or else you have a different type of card reader than I'm familiar with. Normally, when a guest swipes an EBT card, their options are SNAP* and EBT Cash because the system recognizes right away that it's an EBT card.

*The EBT/Food Stamp program had its name changed to SNAP in 2008. The change wasn't made in the POS software until fairly recently; now it says SNAP instead of EBT Food.

Beat me too it.

Are your guests able to swipe the snap card themselves or do you have to push k6-k1 and then swipe it on the keyboard? For some reason in my store if the guest swipes it it says "Incorrect Card!". Just curious...

On many cards, the magnetic strips wear out pretty quickly. That's why it shows up as "incorrect card" and you have to do the manual entry.

On many cards, the magnetic strips wear out pretty quickly. That's why it shows up as "incorrect card" and you have to do the manual entry.

Nah ours ALWAYS says incorrect card for EBT and if a card is worn out it gives a read error and tells them to try again or just to hand the card to the cashier. Hmm maybe its just our states cards, we have trouble with SCANNING Ids too. There are currently 3 variations of our license in circulation. The oldest one will always scan, the second oldest wouldn't scan for like the first 6 months they were being issued. After several calls to the CSC they finally issued a patch so they would scan. The newest ones are state issued but are also "federal". They look just like the one that took 6 months for them to get working except theres a little symbol in the corner to let you know its federal. If you scan it it says invalid number. Ive pretty much given up on calling about this one, it seems every time I try i either get someone that can't understand me or vice versa. One guy even got so frustrated that I kept asking him to repeat himself that he interrupted me mid sentence saying someone would call the store in 24 hrs and then CLICK. I haven't tried again since then, about 2 months ago. Its not too bad because not a whole lot of people have these federal ones but it just sucks having to run over to override it, at least twice a day. :-/

We had some guests whose SNAP cards were declined so they pulled out WIC cards, which look just like the SNAP but have a extra logo. Since we're not a super, THOSE got declined too. We'd told the guests that we couldn't accept WIC & why but it didn't stop them from ripping a new one on the cashiers, GSTLs & ETL.

Are your guests able to swipe the snap card themselves or do you have to push k6-k1 and then swipe it on the keyboard? For some reason in my store if the guest swipes it it says "Incorrect Card!". Just curious...

I've never heard of this happening. My state's EBT cards are VERY cheaply made and the strips always stop working, but our card readers just say card read error and we have to type in the numbers.

In my state SNAP/EBT has to be swiped at the register. The card reader does not recognize them as valid.

We had some guests whose SNAP cards were declined so they pulled out WIC cards, which look just like the SNAP but have a extra logo. Since we're not a super, THOSE got declined too. We'd told the guests that we couldn't accept WIC & why but it didn't stop them from ripping a new one on the cashiers, GSTLs & ETL.

Dang I wish we had WIC cards, we have WIC checks. I'm not a super so I don't have to worry about them but my wife is pregnant with our first child and were on WIC and the checks are pretty confusing.

Dang I wish we had WIC cards, we have WIC checks. I'm not a super so I don't have to worry about them but my wife is pregnant with our first child and were on WIC and the checks are pretty confusing.

When my sister was on WIC, I remember groc shopping with her. You had to follow the list EXACTLY. You can opt to NOT purchase an item but the purchase items HAVE to match - ie: a gallon of milk, not 2 half gallons.

Congrats on the upcoming birth!

When my sister was on WIC, I remember groc shopping with her. You had to follow the list EXACTLY. You can opt to NOT purchase an item but the purchase items HAVE to match - ie: a gallon of milk, not 2 half gallons.

Congrats on the upcoming birth!

Thank you so much! :)

Yeah some of them say a gallon of milk, some say 2 gallons, and some say a gallon and a quart. Lol So yeah you really do have to pay super close attention or you could majorly F it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back