SCO Registers unable to accept cash

Should Self-Checkout Registers be required to accept cash payments?

• Yes

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My store is low volume, like 33 million, but we've been remodeled and apparently they decided not to upgrade our SCOs at that time, so we'll probably be stuck with them for the foreseeable future. šŸ™ƒ
ATM SCOs are expensive and need a lot of maintenance. your store is small and LV. no point in getting new SCOs.

Iā€™m confused tho. What part of the SCO is not functioning. the only moving part on that thing is the cash drawer.
So if needed I could send a guest there if needed and say itā€™s card only?
Not exactly. Those weird cash drawer SCOs say ā€œTeam Member assistance requiredā€ or something on but button that says cash

although extremely rare now, some stores DID have Card only SCO BUT it was all just signage.

i hate to say this but. itā€™s there for good reason. Cash scams are thru the fkn roof recently.
Actually, we found we can load guests' apps by going to a checklane & use cash there so tell me why it doesn't work at Starbucks again? 'Cause it's real fun having to take a guest over to a checklane just to load their app using cash.

Actually, we found we can load guests' apps by going to a checklane & use cash there so tell me why it doesn't work at Starbucks again? 'Cause it's real fun having to take a guest over to a checklane just to load their app using cash.
are you being fr? weā€™ve had MULTIPLE people sneak behind the SBUX register and login. and activate cards while not being visible. try that on a lane.

are you being fr? weā€™ve had MULTIPLE people sneak behind the SBUX register and login. and activate cards while not being visible. try that on a lane.
That sounds like a store problem 'cause nobody goes behind our counter except baristas, there's no place to hide & there's cameras over our register too.

That sounds like a store problem 'cause nobody goes behind our counter except baristas, there's no place to hide & there's cameras over our register too.
be so fr rn lmao. just because it doesn't happen to your store doesn't mean it can't happen at your store. we have over 90 cameras at my store... i think we have a camera at SBUX.

Also, it is literally REQUIRED to have a camera over any and all registers.

Not just that but this isn't a "Oh well, this store hasn't had that happen so they can accept cash". This is an enough is enough type gig. You can walk 10 ft to use cash on a CL.

I donā€™t think you can disable the cash back option.
You cannot.

Last edited:
be so fr rn lmao. just because it doesn't happen to your store doesn't mean it can't happen at your store. we have over 90 cameras at my store... i think we have a camera at SBUX.

Also, it is literally REQUIRED to have a camera over any and all registers.

Not just that but this isn't a "Oh well, this store hasn't had that happen so they can accept cash". This is an enough is enough type gig. You can walk 10 ft to use cash on a CL.
1. SCO is in front of our area so it's more than 10 ft to a CL & our guests aren't thrilled having to step outta line to go to a CL to reload. And if it impacts our service/connection scores you can bet it's gonna get fixed.

2. We have cameras you can't even see around our SB in addition to the one over the register.

Our store is still suffering from the so-called coin shortage. We donā€™t get enough regular deliveries of coins so we emptied the SCO, posted signs and even taped up the bill acceptors. Weā€™ve called for emergency change orders but theyā€™re not sending much. Some pick up days we get no coins. So we would rather give the change to the cashiers and made SCO no cash. Guests still complain but we just suspend the really loud guests and take them to the first register. Itā€™s been months now some guests complain some are ok with it. Then some use the cash back feature from debit cards and this will sometimes screw up the transaction. Others cut the tape and stick cash in anyway then get mad when the transaction wonā€™t finish because theyā€™re due coins back. Itā€™s been an ongoing battle.

Imma just sneeaaakkk into starbucks, log into the register, and load these here giftcards. No one will see my hard touching the brightly lit screen. No one! Cameras? What there are cameras?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are mostly internal cases which means they are extra stupid.
i mean. every SBUX iā€™ve ever seen has the registers faced about 5 ft away from a wall. itā€™s really not hard to hide behind the counter and use the pos lol.

it was not an internal lol.

i mean. every SBUX iā€™ve ever seen has the registers faced about 5 ft away from a wall. itā€™s really not hard to hide behind the counter and use the pos lol.

it was not an internal lol.

Sure, but most of them are by the checklanes. After they close, the lights are off. The screen is pretty bright and I'm sure it was happening at many stores. You have to admit, loading gift cards, internal or not, is pretty darn bold. If they didn't work for spot, they knew someone who did.

Sure, but most of them are by the checklanes. After they close, the lights are off. The screen is pretty bright and I'm sure it was happening at many stores. You have to admit, loading gift cards, internal or not, is pretty darn bold. If they didn't work for spot, they knew someone who did
Pre-Scan to login, people would watch TMs input their TMID and pin at the SCOs.

Using those same credentials you could login to any stores POS at any terminal.

Now with scan to login much has changed. You can only login to your own stores POS unless you change your passcode (which requires your last 4 SSN). And itā€™s impossible to watch someone login with scan to login.

Itā€™s bold but honestly really easy.

These scams are usually a nationwide scam, like those apple resellers (that are usually asian) and use whatsapp.

Actually, we found we can load guests' apps by going to a checklane & use cash there so tell me why it doesn't work at Starbucks again? 'Cause it's real fun having to take a guest over to a checklane just to load their app using cash
Scam prevention feature. Tech and or pharmacy is the other one that doesnā€™t do cash gift cards anymore

Do they get alerts if you sign into a SCO thatā€™s not in your home store? Honestly Iā€™m just curious. I would assume they do. I would never sign into a SCO at another store unless I work there

Last edited:
I donā€™t understand why that affects the card payments at all. Just disable the cash back option and it should work as a card payment only
Specifically, disable or gray out Cash on the SCO screen which lists the four distinct types of payments. Our machines are forced to offer cash back because we aren't allowed to disable that option as well. Usually the cashback feature works adequately but over the past two weeks they've started acting up (even with plenty of bills in the machine).

SCO no cash and no cash back.jpg Until recently, for a few months our store used handwritten sticky notes and cellophane tape to notify our guests on this. Finally, they found a corporate-approved sign that is much nicer-looking but not as explicit about no cash payments accepted.

View attachment 14908Until recently, for a few months our store used handwritten sticky notes and cellophane tape to notify our guests on this. Finally, they found a corporate-approved sign that is much nicer-looking but not as explicit about no cash payments accepted.
Target guest actually read something, they never do. They ignore the signs and ask for cash back any way.

In our store they have little trays for change that guests use because they never get any back from their cash purchases.

Back