SCO Registers unable to accept cash

Should Self-Checkout Registers be required to accept cash payments?

• Yes

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We AREN'T ALLOWED TO CALL 701. We get reprimanded if we do so, and the TLs and even our ETL avoid this. There must be some stigma or reprisal (monetary penalty against our store??) if we get technical support
It would probably be better to report issues to your TL or ETL and let them decide whether or not to make the call. They may have information that you do not, they have the ability to communicate with others via email, they are ultimately responsible for the work center and may or may not be told about the call.

We AREN'T ALLOWED TO CALL 701. We get reprimanded if we do so, and the TLs and even our ETL avoid this. There must be some stigma or reprisal (monetary penalty against our store??) if we get technical support
they don’t like TMs calling at my store. it was such a stupid thing.
the new ones do
What a cheapskate company, that they can't at least provide stores with the ability to modify the SCO user functions to delete the pay-with-cash functionality when the machines are unable to take peoples' crinkled-up bills. For Pete's sake, banks don't permanently stop ATMs from accepting cash deposits - they might temporarily suspend until repairs are made, but the ATMs actually get fixed. Corporate's unwillingness to fix stores' SCO registers is disgusting.
not to defend target but it’s because stores would most likely abuse this.

Do SCO send an alert it needs coins or bills? If doesn't it should.

NCR SCOs do not send an alert for coins or cash. Apparently the next gen ones do, but they are not as good as NCR IMO. With the old POS software, we could tell it how much coin it had so we at least had an idea

Yes it does cost money. It would be good to make a list of what needs fixing and get it all done at once. It is really dumb that you can't call 701. We keep our machines in good working order which I think results in fewer calls.

This is getting old quick; I have guests who can't even load their SB app with cash before using it & they're getting pissed
i hate to say this but. it’s there for good reason. Cash scams are thru the fkn roof recently.
NCR SCOs do not send an alert for coins or cash. Apparently the next gen ones do, but they are not as good as NCR IMO. With the old POS software, we could tell it how much coin it had so we at least had an idea
The ones that do work well are great. They just aren’t very well quality tested tbh.

When fully functional ig the one thing i could complain about it how it doesn’t have too much ram. 8 gigs. but it’s linux so it’s not that bad.

I'm jealous of all you people with your fancy SCOs. My store just has regular drawers at our SCOs, meaning TMs have to personally handle all cash payments. As we only have 4 SCOs, this can jam things up quickly, especially if you get multiple people paying cash at the same time.

I'm jealous of all you people with your fancy SCOs. My store just has regular drawers at our SCOs, meaning TMs have to personally handle all cash payments. As we only have 4 SCOs, this can jam things up quickly, especially if you get multiple people paying cash at the same time.
The dreaded Assistive Self Checkout (ASCO) which "asco" is also Spanish for disgusting which is exactly what those SCOs are — an abomination.

Meh. we’ve had issues with the EXACT same machines. most machines don’t have many problems. but we have 3 that NEVER wanna accept cash. 2 on the big area and 1 in the cafe.

our store has 4 SCO too. They are a nightmare... I wish we had a 'max. on items' for usage so those that want to just run in and grab a couple of things don't have to wait behind full carts using the SCO and paying by cash.

our store has 4 SCO too. They are a nightmare... I wish we had a 'max. on items' for usage so those that want to just run in and grab a couple of things don't have to wait behind full carts using the SCO and paying by cash.
We've got 13 now. Having that many is great ngl. Its pretty rare we call for backup but it does happen during callouts or if its a super busy day for some reason.

Anyway one of our self checkout lights just stopped working. The colored one works but the tall “self checkout” light is dead

I don’t understand why that affects the card payments at all. Just disable the cash back option and it should work as a card payment only
hate to say but it’s just not on brand. But i agree. no point in having a totally useless SCO.
Anyway one of our self checkout lights just stopped working. The colored one works but the tall “self checkout” light is dead
ours did too LOL. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t kek.

Does selecting SCO on a regular lane make the drawer pop open when someone selects cash back?
not exactly. it requires a TM to come and handle the money.

although rare at this point, Some stores have SCOs that have a cash drawer that only TMs can open. These are found in lower volume very old / non remodeled stores.

not exactly. it requires a TM to come and handle the money.

although rare at this point, Some stores have SCOs that have a cash drawer that only TMs can open. These are found in lower volume very old / non remodeled stores.

This is what I was talking about in my previous post. This is what my store has and it is a tremendous pain in the ass.

One of ours went down last week (leaving us with only 3 for the weekend, which was obviously horrible) and when the tech came out to look at it, he was totally baffled because he had never seen another SCO like ours before. So they're definitely rare.

It's also a very strange layout- you can't find our setup anywhere on Workbench, which made it difficult for me as a new S&E TL to figure out if ours were signed correctly and had proper fixtures when I transferred to the front.

My store is low volume, like 33 million, but we've been remodeled and apparently they decided not to upgrade our SCOs at that time, so we'll probably be stuck with them for the foreseeable future. 🙃

Back