Archived Cashier Training? Anxiety!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first started as a cashier, the hardest part for me was interacting with the guests. I had an excellent trainer and picked up how to operate the register fairly quickly, but my social anxiety (which was more problematic at the time) made for many awkward transactions. The more time I spent at the register dealing with guests, the more comfortable I was.

If you're already comfortable dealing with people, you'll be fine because the POS is very straight-forward.

Thank you, this really helps. I have anxiety pretty bad so my mind makes up scenarios to freak me out.

So, I was just hired on as a cashier, and I have my training shift on Thursday. For some reason I am just super anxious about starting and not doing a good job. I worked as a cashier at a fast food place a few years ago, but that's it. I keep telling myself that stupid people cashier every day.

From what a lot of you have said, I guess Target isn't a big fan of slow and steady training. More like throwing you to the lions with their fingers crossed.

So, I was wondering if any of you had some good advise to calm my nerves? What's the hardest part of cashiering at Target? Any super stupid mistakes people make?
Honestly, it just takes time to learn the routines of cashiering. If it makes you feel any better, I was terrified to go on a register when I started at target

More on the coupon point, if you ever see someone with a stack of coupons or they're trying to use coupons on travel or trial size items, flip on your light and have your GSA/GSTL look at them.

The GSA at my store said I did a great job today. There really wasn't anything to anxious about, I guess. My feet are killing me, though! Will my feet hurt for the rest of my time at Target or will this get better? lol

The GSA at my store said I did a great job today. There really wasn't anything to anxious about, I guess. My feet are killing me, though! Will my feet hurt for the rest of my time at Target or will this get better? lol
Mine hurt for the first month or so. Get some good shoes or insoles to help ease the pain.

Your body will get used to standing all day. I recommend some comfortable shoes. My feet prefer Nikes lol.

Yep. Your back, too, probably. The good news is that they won't give you many hours, so you won't actually spend much time on your feet!

But seriously, what that guy^ said: good shoes. Thick socks, too.

Posted this in every newb's thread to ease the strain on your legs & to help your performance:
When you finish ringing & bagging up items, walk around & put them in the cart while the guest is tendering payment.
This does four things:
-it allows you to look for missed items under the kiddie seat or below the cart; bottles of Tide or cases of Coke are almost the same color as the cart & can be missed.
-it eliminates 'paid & left' items; you'd be surprised how much people will walk off & leave behind.
-it allows you to flex your legs after standing in the same spot for hours.
-it gives the guest a good final impression.

One piece of advice I will give is if you ever make a mistake or you're confused about something, ask about it. To GSA/GSTL, other cashiers, other TMs, etc. that's the best way for you to learn. I've noticed too many newbies just sending guests to guest service and not really knowing how to solve any problems for themselves like adding a coupon/gift receipt after the transaction is done.

Don't get me wrong, guest service TMs are willing to help; after all it's what they're there for but it's also best for you to be an independent cashier. Not only will your leaders trust/love you more but they might even move you to guest services and let you cover for GSAs lunches. That's how I've been able to do more, it's gone to the point where my ETL-GE sometimes schedules me when she has a GSTL shift so she can leave me watching the lanes while she does other tasks at hand like setting end caps, has a meeting/interview, etc. I personally don't mind it because it's a win-win, she gets to do more important things while I get to gain experience.

It will also help if you download the Target/Cartwheel app on your phone and get used to them.

Last edited:
It will also help if you download the Target/Cartwheel app on your phone and get used to them.

Yep. So many guests are like "how do I get to the barcode thingy?". It's good to know that with the update, they have to press the "checkout" button at the bottom of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back