Archived Cashiers: Do you fold clothes at the register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I cashiered I always folded. It gave me anxiety not to. I hated when a guest would tell me to just throw them in the bag, I’d end up just doing a super fast fold anyways and apologizing to them saying I just couldn’t. It takes barely any extra time to fold the shirt once vertically, tuck the sleeves in and fold twice horizontally to get it semi-folded and nice and neat in the bag.

I always fold them as nice as I can but also as fast as I can. Unless someone is buying a shit ton of clothes and then says they want all the hangers. Then they get stuffed in there because there’s no orderly way to do it with hangers on them. It also irritates me when people ask that lol
If they want the hangers, I still take them off. I just put them in a separate bag.

I work at softline so I usually fold clothes while I back up at front, but of course I don't fold them as neat as I zone because there're usually more stuff you need to put in the bag that's not cloth right? lol

I fold. Its not my best fold but it's better than balling it up. Once a cashier balled up my faux leather jacket and it was wrinkled for weeks after. Couldn't iron it lol. So annoying. Also if you're giving the clothing as a gift, you don't want it to be wrinkled. The worst part is I fold my stuff and stick the tags out so the cashier has an easy time and I still have ended up with bags of balled up clothing. I usually use self checkout now

I always get clothing t-shirts and whatnot always balled up by the time I get home. It happens when they piled up and slosh around in the car. But big coats I either just hand them as is with hanger or slide into a large bag. Or with kids coats a half fold in a regular bag by itself.

I never did when I was on the lane oops I guess

You should definitely do a fast fold. Or even ask "do you need these folded?" Just throwing it in there is never polite.

I have had some guest demand they be folded a certain way and that's annoying
I wasn't aware the policy said the clothes must be folded. I've seen gstl get on New Tm for folding at register because it slowed things down. Now if its slow and you can, yes that is polite but 4q is never slow

Stuffing the clothes is not really great guest service though. And not everyone owns an iron. As a guest, I don't appreciate a big wad of clothing in my bag because I don't have an iron and I don't always take things out of the bag right away once I get home.
Neither is making them finish the transaction rapidly but money always wins.

Spot on

Bad idea. We had a cashier get written up this week for doing this. Normally no big deal but he got a 1 from a guest on a survey which hurt our NPS score.

With the new expectations on service why risk getting in trouble over something so small?
And this is my point about consistancy. You had someone coached for not folding and I have some one coached for folding (and holding up the line) Me being a guy, does not care if its folded or not because it gets washed before worn anyway.

I'd hate to be in line and see the cashier folding the guest's fucking clothes.

Os63UKo.gif
Also most every gstl I've worked with save one feels that way. Its about speed of service and getting green in that transaction speed. Now if they ask for it to be folded thats different. But spontaneous, I've never seen it.

So my question is how many posted here (other than the obvious) are softlines TM etc/ Curious.

Gawd not me!!!

Im glad im not the only one!!! Idk, maybe I'm just not cut out for SUPER friendly cashier behavior, but I mean target isn't anything exclusive and I don't feel like I should be obligated to do things such as fold their clothes or load their cart up for them. Most of the guests are adults and they can simply just fold everything the way THEY like in their car. Plus it just takes up way too much time and most of them don't care if they aren't folded.

It's a plastic bag with hand-holds.

Roll it up, stuff it in.

Idk. Just seems very rude to me to just ball up their clothes and stuff them in the bag when I️ could just fold them in like 2 seconds more max. Have always gone by the philosophy of “treat their things as if it were my things”

Yup, I am thinking I will have way more people upset I didn't fold their stuff then people mad I did.

Been cashiering for over a year and I try to put it in as nicely as I can.. but I don't fold. If you are buying a crap ton of clothes, like hundreds of dollars worth of clothes, you already have a big transaction, I still have to take the hangers off every item, and now have a line. As far as I know, no one has ever complained that I didn't fold their clothes up nicely... I get way more guests who insist that I stuff the bags full to get the least amount of bags back.

Help with folding???

c39.png

Don't they have enough to worry about already?

Before I worked at Target I distinctly remember being a bit appalled when cashiers would dump clothes in tbe bag. I'd never ask for it to be folded but it left an impression. Now when I ring up clothes I do a quick fold into a pile on the counter and slide it all in a bag. It really doesn't take much more time and I think it shows Target cares about their purchase.

I roll clothes up and place them in the bag.

The only dumping I do is after a large meal...

Ive done a quick half fold. Sometimes if the lines were getting long id throw the shirts in the bag honestly, but ive never had a pissy guest. No lod or gstl ever told me i had to fold the clothes. However, I am not a cashier nor was i hired as one, and i only do backup once in awhile.ive also never worked in a clothing store as well. I do of course agree that its more professional to fold though.

I do a little fold, and then I drink a little water! I hate the pajama sets where you have to take the whole thing apart to fold them.

1. Scan and put clothes off to side
2. Finish transaction
3. Take hangers off clothes
4. Quick folding of clothes; nothing fancy.
5. Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back