Archived Cashiers: Do you fold clothes at the register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you as cashiers typically fold clothes for guests at the register when bagging them?

I don't, and some guests complain. One time I even told one guest that we're not Nordstrom.

You should definitely do a fast fold. Or even ask "do you need these folded?" Just throwing it in there is never polite.

I have had some guest demand they be folded a certain way and that's annoying

Stuffing the clothes is not really great guest service though. And not everyone owns an iron. As a guest, I don't appreciate a big wad of clothing in my bag because I don't have an iron and I don't always take things out of the bag right away once I get home.

I don't ball them up and throw them in, but I do make it so they stack. So a fold in half or pants are a quick three fold over. But I worked in a clothing store for a couple years so I can fold down stuff pretty quick..

I find if you at least try, most people won't bitch.

I find if you at least try, most people won't bitch.

Spot on

I just stuff the clothes in there - they’re just clothes and they’ll get wrinkled anyway.

Bad idea. We had a cashier get written up this week for doing this. Normally no big deal but he got a 1 from a guest on a survey which hurt our NPS score.

With the new expectations on service why risk getting in trouble over something so small?

!BRAVO! to all of you that fold (fast or otherwise) our Guests' apparel purchases. A huge reason our Guests purchase apparel from us is "value". They want fashionable and/or Trend apparel that is comparable to higher-end retailers; but they want a Target price-point. We should treat their purchase with "value".... nothing too fancy (ala Nordstrom w/ tissue and a fancy bag)........ but with professionalism and politeness. It makes the Guest feel valued as well. Again.... !BRAVO!

You should definitely do a fast fold. Or even ask "do you need these folded?" Just throwing it in there is never polite.

I had always folded but there were times when guest says it was OK for me to through the clothes into the bag.

Same. It never occurs to me to not fold them unless the guest tells me to just place them as is into the bag. I wouldn't want someone to treat my new clothes like trash so I always make an attempt to quickly fold all clothes even if it is not the prettiest fold that I can do.

Last edited:
What do you guys do with large items like coats? Many guests do not want the large bags our store has. We don't have paper bags (pfresh store) and I've had a lot of clothing items in the last couple of days that are difficult to get in a plastic bag let alone fold. I feel bad but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm in Wisconsin so we sell a lot of winter jackets/snow pants.

What do you guys do with large items like coats? Many guests do not want the large bags our store has. We don't have paper bags (pfresh store) and I've had a lot of clothing items in the last couple of days that are difficult to get in a plastic bag let alone fold. I feel bad but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm in Wisconsin so we sell a lot of winter jackets/snow pants.

Fold in sleeves then fold jacket hamburger wise. Will fit in a medium bag. Take out hanger if guest wants it and put it inside bag

I always fold them as nice as I can but also as fast as I can. Unless someone is buying a shit ton of clothes and then says they want all the hangers. Then they get stuffed in there because there’s no orderly way to do it with hangers on them. It also irritates me when people ask that lol

I just stuff the clothes in there - they’re just clothes and they’ll get wrinkled anyway.

That would not go well at our store with guests. Best indicator is how they place the clothing on the belt or counter. If they pile it on a fast fold will work. Sometimes you will have that guest that places clothes very carefully and even holds on to clothes so they do not get dirty from belt, try to give them a bit more effort if possible. I have had really picky guests over the years tell me to take the clothes and refold them.....

I'd hate to be in line and see the cashier folding the guest's fucking clothes.

Os63UKo.gif

I kinda do it with how they give it to me. If they put it on the belt all nicely folded I obviously won’t like unfold and stuff it in but if they put a heap on my belt with hangars mixed in I’ll put them in the bag neatly but not folded perfectly

I fold. Its not my best fold but it's better than balling it up. Once a cashier balled up my faux leather jacket and it was wrinkled for weeks after. Couldn't iron it lol. So annoying. Also if you're giving the clothing as a gift, you don't want it to be wrinkled. The worst part is I fold my stuff and stick the tags out so the cashier has an easy time and I still have ended up with bags of balled up clothing. I usually use self checkout now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back