Archived Cashiers/Guest Service: what is your store's policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaylyn

"THIS SUM BULLS-...eye."
When it comes to guests clearly using SOMEONE ELSE's driver's license, what does your store have you do? Here are some examples:

1) She's clearly under 18 and wearing her middle school uniform and using an ID where the woman in the picture KIND OF looks like her (perhaps an older relative) but clearly much older and born in the early 90s. (Did not happen to me, curious what y'all would do.)

2) At guest services: a male has dressed up in female clothing, and is using an ID from another state to return items (multiples or of high value) without a receipt - the ID shows a feminine looking woman and states she is a female. When you look up to compare the pic, the guest looks away and hides his face using his hair. He gets aggravated that you're spending a little too much time on the ID. (Actually did happen to me, but also curious what y'all would do.)

3) Kids (as in younger than fifteen) using their parents ID's to pick up OPUs. Parents are waiting in the car. (Hasn't happened here, yet, but did at my SO's store)

And finally:

4) Do any of y'all let guests purchase alcohol without an ID if they are clearly old enough, even if your area is notorious for having undercover cops come through? (We are just a convenient little stop for them where we're located.)

For number 2, I've also had an ID where someone had used a BLUE BALLPOINT PEN to change a letter in the ID. Do we look that stupid?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
When it comes to guests clearly using SOMEONE ELSE's driver's license, what does your store have you do? Here are some examples:

1) She's clearly under 18 and wearing her middle school uniform and using an ID where the woman in the picture KIND OF looks like her (perhaps an older relative) but clearly much older and born in the early 90s. (Did not happen to me, curious what y'all would do.)

2) At guest services: a male has dressed up in female clothing, and is using an ID from another state to return items (multiples or of high value) without a receipt - the ID shows a feminine looking woman and states she is a female. When you look up to compare the pic, the guest looks away and hides his face using his hair. He gets aggravated that you're spending a little too much time on the ID. (Actually did happen to me, but also curious what y'all would do.)

3) Kids (as in younger than fifteen) using their parents ID's to pick up OPUs. Parents are waiting in the car. (Hasn't happened here, yet, but did at my SO's store)

And finally:

4) Do any of y'all let guests purchase alcohol without an ID if they are clearly old enough, even if your area is notorious for having undercover cops come through? (We are just a convenient little stop for them where we're located.)

For number 2, I've also had an ID where someone had used a BLUE BALLPOINT PEN to change a letter in the ID. Do we look that stupid?:rolleyes:

1,2, 3. Deny the sale/pickup every time. I've had 3 happen several times. It's always a hard no. If mom wants to stay in the car she can so a drive up.

4 is also a no. Policy is they must have ID. No exceptions.

1,2, 3. Deny the sale/pickup every time. I've had 3 happen several times. It's always a hard no. If mom wants to stay in the car she can so a drive up.

As a cashier, should the guest escalate and the team lead tells you to allow it, how would you handle that? Do you just do it? Do you ask the team lead to handle it under their numbers and risk a CA or a coaching for "insubordination"?

And finally:

1) no

2) maybe? depends on the items and the physical vibe i'm getting from the guest.

3) no, but i'd suggest that the guest ask their parents to send them the barcode or add them as an alternate. no need to check ID if they have the order barcode.

4) probably wouldn't in that situation

3. I was told that if I am at guest services and the person is supposedly in the car waiting, and can't or won't add the other person as an authorized pick up person, if I am not alone or can find a back up, I am to offer to go out to the car and check the id there and bring the item with me to do a car pick up even when they did not designate it as such.

This was after I refused to release an OPU to a husband not listed as authorized to pick up a big ticket item and suggested that if his wife couldn't come in she add him. He came back with her and she was hollering about being disabled and it raining and she shouldn't have to come in, even after I tried to explain it was for her own protection not to release her paid for item to someone she did not authorize through the app or online.

And finally:

As for the ID for alcohol purchase- Target policy is to card EVERY guest regardless of age. If they can't show it then no beer. Sorry I'm not going to jail for your bud light grandma.

As for the ID for alcohol purchase- Target policy is to card EVERY guest regardless of age. If they can't show it then no beer. Sorry I'm not going to jail for your bud light grandma.
You don't go to jail for violating a policy. You go to jail for breaking a law if the punishment for breaking that law is prison. You can get fired or placed on disciplinary action but you can't be sent to jail for not following a target policy unless the policy mirrors the law in your jurisdiction. For example stealing is against both target policy and the law. Serving or selling alcohol to someone under 21 is against the law. As long as the person is indeed over 21 you would not be breaking the law to sell them alcohol even if they look like they are 12. Places that sell and serve alcohol establish their own policy be it- we card everyone or we card everyone who looks like they are under 30 or 40.

What would you say to the guest in case # 1 and 2. I think I would tell AP about #2.

A few days ago I asked a grandma for her ID and lord have mercy it was the end of the world. She started screaming/cursing at me making a scene and swore she would never come to target again because it is ridiculous. All I said was "ma'am I know for sure you're beyond the age limit by a few decades, but I am just doing my job" and she proceeded to ask for a manager. I don't get what the big deal is with simply showing an ID.

Reactions: Dog
You don't go to jail for violating a policy. You go to jail for breaking a law if the punishment for breaking that law is prison. You can get fired or placed on disciplinary action but you can't be sent to jail for not following a target policy unless the policy mirrors the law in your jurisdiction. For example stealing is against both target policy and the law. Serving or selling alcohol to someone under 21 is against the law. As long as the person is indeed over 21 you would not be breaking the law to sell them alcohol even if they look like they are 12. Places that sell and serve alcohol establish their own policy be it- we card everyone or we card everyone who looks like they are under 30 or 40.
Um, think you took NKG's comment a bit too literally...😉

A few days ago I asked a grandma for her ID and lord have mercy it was the end of the world. She started screaming/cursing at me making a scene and swore she would never come to target again because it is ridiculous. All I said was "ma'am I know for sure you're beyond the age limit by a few decades, but I am just doing my job" and she proceeded to ask for a manager. I don't get what the big deal is with simply showing an ID.
Really ? Even the airport trusts anyone over 70 to NOT have to take off their shoes !

1) She's clearly under 18 and wearing her middle school uniform and using an ID where the woman in the picture KIND OF looks like her (perhaps an older relative) but clearly much older and born in the early 90s. (Did not happen to me, curious what y'all would do.) - Hard no, mom can get her lazy ass out of the car.

2) At guest services: a male has dressed up in female clothing, and is using an ID from another state to return items (multiples or of high value) without a receipt - the ID shows a feminine looking woman and states she is a female. When you look up to compare the pic, the guest looks away and hides his face using his hair. He gets aggravated that you're spending a little too much time on the ID. (Actually did happen to me, but also curious what y'all would do.) Also hard no. Being in drag has is neither here nor there. It's not your ID.

3) Kids (as in younger than fifteen) using their parents ID's to pick up OPUs. Parents are waiting in the car. (Hasn't happened here, yet, but did at my SO's store) - Sorry mom put the kid on as alternate or send them with phone barcode.

And finally:

4) Do any of y'all let guests purchase alcohol without an ID if they are clearly old enough, even if your area is notorious for having undercover cops come through? (We are just a convenient little stop for them where we're located.) - Have a passport, military ID, hell even a Nexus card something that has a DOB on it? Then depending on situation and the store's(this is what we do in the real world) may let it go but if I think they are close, yeah no sorry..

For number 2, I've also had an ID where someone had used a BLUE BALLPOINT PEN to change a letter in the ID. Do we look that stupid?:rolleyes: - Hard no, you are lucky I am not shoving this in the shredder.

Just realized how often I used the word "clearly". I need a bigger vocabulary. To all of those saying you would not accept, how do you handle Team Leads telling you to do it anyway?

If they tell you to do it anyway, then you do it. If there needs to be a supervisor override, then they have to put in their numbers and it falls on them.

My store it has to be you on the ID. if it’s questionable like situation 2, it’s case by case. We (well, most of us) card everyone for age restricted.
If they tell you to do it anyway, then you do it. If there needs to be a supervisor override, then they have to put in their numbers and it falls on them.
There have been situations where my leaders have told me to do something and I’ve said “I don’t feel comfortable doing that” and signed out and let them do it under their numbers. Said leaders have had no problem doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back