Archived Cashing out giftcards

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have stated before I work at two stores and about half the year at each. Today at my newest store I had a guest ask if I could cash out their giftcard because there was only 3 dollars left so I said sure. I went to do so and there was no such options. As I asked my team members around they all acted as if cashing out a giftcard was blasphemy or witchcraft and it could not be done.

So my question is, why can some stores cash out gift cards and others not? Does yours cash them out or not? Seems very hassling for the guests trying to do so.

I know pos will prompt cash on any gc amt under 5 on a return. Sell the guest k3 no barcode then scan the receipt to return it. It should give cash back. Never done this myself, but should work.

Doing a return will force a cash payout if under $5. That's across the board.

State/local laws may state that a guest can cash out a gift card under a certain amount. It, again, varies by state/county.

This was years ago, but on a purchase that I used a promo GC on, the purchase was under 10-cents of the card value, and I got back change. In all my times cashiering, I have never given change for a GC.

Do you work in two different states. I know the law in my state is you can cash out anything under five dollars.

As I have stated before I work at two stores and about half the year at each. Today at my newest store I had a guest ask if I could cash out their giftcard because there was only 3 dollars left so I said sure. I went to do so and there was no such options. As I asked my team members around they all acted as if cashing out a giftcard was blasphemy or witchcraft and it could not be done.

So my question is, why can some stores cash out gift cards and others not? Does yours cash them out or not? Seems very hassling for the guests trying to do so.

Different States have different laws....

I understand different states have different laws but the Super Target, in the same state as the store I am currently at can cash out giftcards under 5 dollars. The other store I work at it's any giftcard under 10 dollars.

I've actually been able to do it when I've called 718. They said to staple the balance inquiry to the card and write "giftcard cash out" on it and send it in with the media from the cash office. She was able to cancel the giftcard on her end and the guest got her money. I've never heard of this before until that one day but it is possible

I am surprised Target would let any amount on a gift card be cashed out? Most of the promotions there are for Target gift cards for a reason. It brings people back in to use those gift cards to buy more stuff from Target. If they let you just cash in all those $5 promo gift cards for $5 cash there would be a line at guest service all day!

I am surprised Target would let any amount on a gift card be cashed out? Most of the promotions there are for Target gift cards for a reason. It brings people back in to use those gift cards to buy more stuff from Target. If they let you just cash in all those $5 promo gift cards for $5 cash there would be a line at guest service all day!

I was about to point this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ out. I can't think of a reason why anyone needs the cash......other than money laundering.

OMG! who wants to cash out a $5 gift card... just buy something cheap, ice cream or some candy. :D If you have more money, you can always but american ex $25, $50 or $100 gift card with it (not the refill one).

Yes, you can. It counts as a gift card, like starbucks or itunes. Refill Amex you can not buy. :D

In our state (state of denial), you can't cash out gift cards no matter how small the amt.
If you have a NRR that's under $5, you can get cash back.

You cannot use a Target gift card to purchase a Visa or Amex Gift card. They changed the rules to keep down the return-stolen-stuff-for-a-gift card,-walk-out-with-Visa fraud dudes.

Thank you. As soon as you ring up one, you get a message that pops up that says, "cannot be paid for with a Target gift card." And I since I have never sold the refill Amex ones, I know the popup is on the gift card ones.

In our state (state of denial), you can't cash out gift cards no matter how small the amt.
If you have a NRR that's under $5, you can get cash back.

Actually, since you cannot put less than $5 on a gift card, you will get cash back if you return less than $5 worth of stuff that was originally purchased on a gift card as well. (We can't cash out gift cards, either).

As others have stated, it changes varying on where you hail from. Personally, my store allows all GCs to be cashed out when they are less than $10 (according to state law) and our store has a limit of two GCs per day per guest. So you can cash them out but only up to $19.98 each day at the maximum.

My state doesn't seem to have any cash-out laws, but I have dealt with a guest who had figured out how to bypass the issue. He buys things that will return for $4.99, groups the purchases onto separate receipts and pays for them with giftcards then gets cash back when he returns them due to the cash-back for returns under $5 setup. He does it with a bunch of giftcards and items at one time, so it looks pretty weird.

I'd notify AP on that one because conceivably someone could do that with the $5 promo giftcards.

You cannot use a Target gift card to purchase a Visa or Amex Gift card. They changed the rules to keep down the return-stolen-stuff-for-a-gift card,-walk-out-with-Visa fraud dudes.

Thank you. As soon as you ring up one, you get a message that pops up that says, "cannot be paid for with a Target gift card." And I since I have never sold the refill Amex ones, I know the popup is on the gift card ones.

This. I think the message started with the last POS update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back