Archived CCA & Coaching Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I have a couple of questions in regards to being able to put someone on a CCA or being able to coach them.

First and foremost I have a team member that was coached for providing two guests at our fitting rooms with a less than acceptable shopping experience. One day later she was coached for providing one of ETL's wifes a similar poor shopping experience. Then two days later she was coached for not looking up from her task to even offer a simple hi to the guest around her (this was observed shortly before being coached the second time). My question is should she be placed on a CCA? I was told to type up a CCA for this team member, but because the third offense happened before the second coaching was delivered I am not sure that it fair to put her on a CCA.

Also, I thought I read something here about excused and unexcused absences. Is there such a thing? I am asking, as I have a team member who was absent because her son was sick to the point that no babysitter or daycare would take him while she was at work. If there is such a thing I would think if she could produce a doctors note this would fall under the excused category. Not sure if this is a thing how to bring to the attention of HR though.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I have a couple of questions in regards to being able to put someone on a CCA or being able to coach them.

First and foremost I have a team member that was coached for providing two guests at our fitting rooms with a less than acceptable shopping experience. One day later she was coached for providing one of ETL's wifes a similar poor shopping experience. Then two days later she was coached for not looking up from her task to even offer a simple hi to the guest around her (this was observed shortly before being coached the second time). My question is should she be placed on a CCA? I was told to type up a CCA for this team member, but because the third offense happened before the second coaching was delivered I am not sure that it fair to put her on a CCA.

Also, I thought I read something here about excused and unexcused absences. Is there such a thing? I am asking, as I have a team member who was absent because her son was sick to the point that no babysitter or daycare would take him while she was at work. If there is such a thing I would think if she could produce a doctors note this would fall under the excused category. Not sure if this is a thing how to bring to the attention of HR though.
First I would like to ask if this team member got pdd’ for all these coaching? If so a cca can be done but without any previous pdd’s how you gonna put him/her on a cca? It’s poor performance but with no previous documentation I wouldn’t .
And as for your second question , if one of my team members calls in sick , or because their kids are sick and if they use their sick hours ,you have no right to ask for a doctors notice. Their sick hours is for them to use so it wouldn’t go against their attendance . Unless this team member is sick every Friday when it becomes a pattern.

If your store is cracking down on attendance, and coaching every absence, a note won't matter (I am assuming you are in a no paid sick time state). If she doesn't have an attendance problem, a coaching won't matter.

Sounds to me like the other TM could go to a CA. There really isn't a hard and fast rule on how many PDDs are needed to go on CA, and there looks to be a clear performance pattern there. A CA may be just what she needs to see that she needs to start providing service to each guest.

To answer your second question: If she puts in for sick time then the absence will be excused and she will be paid her missed hours. If she doesn't have sick hours or she doesn't want to use them, then she will need to submit a doctor's note to get the absence re-classified as excused. If she rarely misses a shift, it's not really worth her time. For the most part, the status of an absence really only comes into play when a TM is being considered for transfers , promotions, performance reviews, and attendance issues. Having 1 unexcused absence over the course of a few months is not an issue.

I thought I read something here about excused and unexcused absences. Is there such a thing?

Yep, excused and unexcused absences are a thing at every workplace.

I am asking, as I have a team member who was absent because her son was sick to the point that no babysitter or daycare would take him while she was at work. If there is such a thing I would think if she could produce a doctors note this would fall under the excused category. Not sure if this is a thing how to bring to the attention of HR though.

A doctor's note does not guarantee that the absence will be excused (unless required by city/state law). However, it is unlikely that they will write your Team Member up if she brings in a doctor's note. She just needs to bring in the doctor's note and give it to the ETL-HR.

If your location has sick leave laws, using sick time for the absence is the best way to avoid getting a write up. Depending on your state's laws, your store may or may not request that a doctor's note be provided in order to use sick time. Note that there is usually a limit as to how much sick time can be used annually though. This limit varies by city/state.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back