Archived Challenging your Superiors

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is it acceptable to challenge your direct supervisor, be it a TM challenging their TL, TL challenging their ETL, ETL challenging STL and so on and so forth.

It all depends on the relationship you have with said superior. It's one thing to challenge them at face value, than it is to do what they instruct and then ask for clarification afterwards.

Really depends on the relationship you have with that leader.

I've been fortunate to have leaders that are open to criticism and feedback. Others want it their way and that way only.

A good leader will allow their team to have input and suggest ways to improve processes.

I'm not a target associate yet, but I think I can weigh in on this. You really should never "challenge" your superior, even if you are right, it will build a barrier and you will most likely be coached out and promoted to customer. There is a skill that's called "managing your managers", once you can master this, then it's time for a promotion. You really need to word it carefully; like asking there expertise but also quoting policy/SOP at the same time to really make them have an ah-ha moment.

Challenging by basically saying your way is wrong, mine is better, here's how to do it. Yeah that's a good way to get promoted to guest.

Offering a different perspective on the situation in a respectful way would be the better approach.

But until you get a better feel for that person it's suggested you do as your told. The established work relationship with the person is a huge factor if they take your opinion serious or not.

I always hear how leaders or even TMs need to challenge upwards especially if they look to promote but I never really understood what Target meant by that so that's why I asked.

I found the only way to do it was to present it was 'keeping them informed' and leaving it at that.
I would check the Alerts or Best Practices and say something like "Oh, I just ran across this and thought you might want to know."
Let them take it from there.
If they used it, then I'd done my job.
If they didn't, it was on them.

It's so different in the real world..Outside Target world, Managers are not only receptive to ideas, but actually allow you to implement them. AND, they don't back down when you have made a decision regarding a customer. They actually back what I have said to customers.. it took me a little while to get used to it. It's nice.

As a TL, I welcome discussion and often ask for the input of my team.. I may not choose to go that direction but it's nice to get another perspective on things. I expect the same thing from my ETL and occasionally my STL. I don't automatically oppose what they want but offer an opinion and determine my course of action from their response. Sometimes it's greeted with an 'Oh yeah, I like that' and sometimes they let me know why my thought might not work or be uneffective, which I'll use in my future thought processes.

I found the only way to do it was to present it was 'keeping them informed' and leaving it at that.
I would check the Alerts or Best Practices and say something like "Oh, I just ran across this and thought you might want to know."
Let them take it from there.
If they used it, then I'd done my job.
If they didn't, it was on them.
I do this. It works. :)

As a TL, I welcome discussion and often ask for the input of my team.. I may not choose to go that direction but it's nice to get another perspective on things. I expect the same thing from my ETL and occasionally my STL. I don't automatically oppose what they want but offer an opinion and determine my course of action from their response. Sometimes it's greeted with an 'Oh yeah, I like that' and sometimes they let me know why my thought might not work or be uneffective, which I'll use in my future thought processes.
For me it's hard to have a good working relationship with my ETL because they know absolutely nothing about Starbucks and rely on me for everything in regards to the department but I get zero support from them.

My TL doesn't like it when I challenge him but he also ask me ideas since I've been doing it for 10+ years. When I get the chance to run things it always goes much smoother but in the end I'm not really manger material.

I usually say (in all past jobs, at target and now) "What if we try xyz, in xyz order to see if it makes a difference." This way you are giving your opinion on how something may improve a condition yet not challenging the bosses and sort of keeping it open ended where they may be able to get the credit for it if it works out well, or praise you if they are so inclined. They can also blame you if it flubs, but since you took the initiative to pose the suggestion, you should be strong enough to accept the blame..

Target was the only place where I got resistance on anything I offered. The managers I had were all to afraid to implement anything new that didn't come from corporate. And believe me, the things I offered were minor, just ways to improve some departments to run smother and have communication. in and beyond the particular department.
One of my biggest complains about Target (besides GSTL from hell) was that one hand didn't know what the other hand was doing. Without that, there is no team. Without a team, it's every man for himself and that is no way to run a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back