Archived Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So apparently is trying to make a bunch of changes to the way we operate. They started getting big on safety because we have about 25 ORI’s for the year. They made it mandatory that we wear safety glasses and gloves for starters. I’m fine with that but if your caught without wearing them, you get put on corrective action. Oddly they lowered prod to 250 cph on the dock from 350, art they went down to 190 cph, mainly because they brought temps back. Apparently we have team members on other shifts trying get there numbers by receiving flow, over receiving reserve, then unreceiving flow so they don’t have to throw it. Reports show our shift wasn’t doing it but to figure out who was, they are making us put colored rubber bands on symbols in art. You are only allowed to use your own symbol so they can see who’s messing up. It’s becoming so ridiculous. Anyone else having problems like this at there DC?

Unfortunately, this sounds somewhat familiar. As a GPM'er, it's an unwritten rule that during handoff for our noncon dock that we get rid of any good, dense freight before end of shift. Otherwise, next key will un, then re-receive that freight and effectively steal our key's prod. As to the safety stuff, to my knowledge that's a pyramid-wide rollout.

They had just implemented the automatic corrective action for safety violations just before I left. A long time veteran at my old DC was doing the unreceieving flow thing and got caught. He got fired. No warning, no corrective action. He'd been there for years.

Don't do it.

Everything sounds about right.

People at my dc written up for not following “non negotiables”. At our dma they said how they want us all to be safety advocates and be self policing, as if they want us to eat on each other. But ya a guy got fired a few months back for unreceiving flow. Never heard of the next key stealing the previous keys prod though.

Old t557 team member here. Been out for a few years now. Finished college, moved on to my field of study. I always look back and miss the good times a had there. Only reason that place was enjoyable was the people.

These safety changes sound so silly. I keep on touch with a friend still working there. He's been filling me in on changes they've made.

Any questions for t557?

We to have seen an increased emphasis on safety including “safety school” for all current and new team members and temps, cph is based on volume for the most part as far as iknow . The unreceiving and re receiving as reserve is old and it happens from time to time but is a. Offense that will cause a right up as it causes double handling of merchandise as well as potential out of stocks for the store :... on a side note glad to see some activity from fellow dc members

We to have seen an increased emphasis on safety including “safety school” for all current and new team members and temps, cph is based on volume for the most part as far as iknow . The unreceiving and re receiving as reserve is old and it happens from time to time but is a. Offense that will cause a right up as it causes double handling of merchandise as well as potential out of stocks for the store :... on a side note glad to see some activity from fellow dc members
Three people I know of were fired due to receiving flow, then receiving it as reserve, then cancelling flow labels. It's interesting to think the only person of that group that did not get fired was promoted to GL/OM - heavily based on him being the #1 in production in the department (paraphrased from what he told others at the table during lunch).

I guess I wont give names, but I can narrow it down to him being from the A1 shift at T557. Always left a sour taste in my mouth for that

Probably had someone cherry picking freight for him too.

Of course I could be crazy.

Three people I know of were fired due to receiving flow, then receiving it as reserve, then cancelling flow labels. It's interesting to think the only person of that group that did not get fired was promoted to GL/OM - heavily based on him being the #1 in production in the department (paraphrased from what he told others at the table during lunch).

I guess I wont give names, but I can narrow it down to him being from the A1 shift at T557. Always left a sour taste in my mouth for that
I’m sure you’ve been advised but they prefer we not use any identifying topics such as team member names or building / store numbers so that nothing can be traced to the person posting by target

Well, lets just say diaper trailers and palletized dog food trailers were not uncommon.
ive seen this occur both due to faoritisim but also based not the effectiveness at which a person works said trailer .. some people will milk a “gravy load” all night long just because it has a full nights prod on it instead of finishing it in a timely matter

Reading this after the fact, I now miss my non-con dude who'd get a dog food load out in 2-3 hrs instead of who they got now who'll milk the load 7-10 hrs, because the other guy is now ' too invaluable' in ART....

We wear gloves now even though we never had any problems with splinters or cuts. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. I don't mind gloves except the not having fingernails for picking off the labels once I realize Inbound put the wrong pallet ID on a different DPCI. Fool me once...

On the splinter note and different topic but we need to go to plastic pallets. No splinters. No nails. No wood shards on the floors. No sawdust in your eyes. No slats so far apart that cartons fall through them. No double pallets for pet food or bagged human food. No broken pallets falling through the racks because some genius put 500 fifty-pound-each barbell weights on a single crappy junk balsa wood skid way up sky high at level 8 and not a single rubber band.

But.... System Directed Put made me do it!

On the splinter note and different topic but we need to go to plastic pallets. No splinters. No nails. No wood shards on the floors. No sawdust in your eyes. No slats so far apart that cartons fall through them. No double pallets for pet food or bagged human food. No broken pallets falling through the racks because some genius put 500 fifty-pound-each barbell weights on a single crappy junk balsa wood skid way up sky high at level 8 and not a single rubber band.
Much more expensive, not always as durable, and more susceptible to weather issues, particularly cold. I do package testing as my primary job, and we are working with a plastic pallet manufacturer to find ways to address all of these issues.

We wear gloves now even though we never had any problems with splinters or cuts. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. I don't mind gloves except the not having fingernails for picking off the labels once I realize Inbound put the wrong pallet ID on a different DPCI. Fool me once...

But.... System Directed Put made me do it!

Just wait safety glasses are next. The ones they will give you are junk. I would suggest looking elsewhere for comfortable ones. Also, word is steel toes are on the horizon.

not having fingernails for picking off the labels
Just cut the tip of the glove's thumb and pointer finger off at the 3rd knuckle. You'll still have protection but you'll be able to remove labels no problemo.

Just cut the tip of the glove's thumb and pointer finger off at the 3rd knuckle. You'll still have protection but you'll be able to remove labels no problemo.

As far as I know that isn't allowed.

Wear your own.

Target issues gloves? I haven't seen that here.

Wear your own.

Target issues gloves? I haven't seen that here.

Yup, now target mandated. We have 3 glove vending machines from granger. Not the cloth gloves anymore, they are a more rubberized (or something) glove. Our dc also requires safety glasses.

caae805c7991187bc812be37076c37ac--computer-programming-languages-canvas-ideas.jpg

Just wait safety glasses are next. The ones they will give you are junk. I would suggest looking elsewhere for comfortable ones. Also, word is steel toes are on the horizon.
They are an option for us now if we request them. Fac Ops has them but it has been suggested to put them in Start Up.

With plastic pallets you wouldn't have the same fine particles as you do with wood. I have my fleece jacket on the console behind the screen and it's covered by end of shift with sawdust.

Much more expensive, not always as durable, and more susceptible to weather issues, particularly cold. I do package testing as my primary job, and we are working with a plastic pallet manufacturer to find ways to address all of these issues.
I hope you can perfect it. Even though the initial expense would be cost prohibitive, it would save countless hours of cleaning in all DCs.

Prime example: It only took us 4 hours to do Inventory but we were all there the full 12 hour shift because we cleaned up afterwards. Particles and pieces and shards don't fall of iGPS plastic pallets. Those pallets also have a raised rim around the edges to keep product from sliding off. Also, think how many times we replace wheels on all the machines because of running over scraps of wood and how many times we get off equipment to pick up those scraps. Plastic is well worth the investment.

Last edited:
This is the only warehouse I've ever worked at that didn't require steel toes. Maybe the thinking is that steel toes will only acerbate injury when something heavy enough to destroy your foot is involved? I don't know.

I still wear steel toe sneakers. It's a habit. Boxes can and do fall. Those boxes of rubber bands are a fine example. They aren't feather-lite!

My only gripe with switching to iGPS pallets would be how much stuff falls off them/moves around the pallet, esp. if it's on a slip-sheet. I don't think they'd ever move to them, though. I think each one costs more than a chep/peco pallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back