I'm Lost! Checkout Advocate training

I feel sorry for the newbies coming in as checkout advocates at my store. Their 1st shift is 4 hours and must be able to run a register independently by the end of it. Their 2nd shift is 4 hours and must be trained at SCO, service desk and drive-up. That's right.... they get 8 hours total training to learn the entire FOS. What is management smoking??? I had a newbie yesterday... should have seen her face when I told her she also has to take turns getting carts too... I'm worried no one is going to stay. Is this just my store or is everyone being held to these shortened training schedules?

Well, maybe this will make you feel better. Mine are getting 4 hours. Computer training for compliance, enhancing guest experience. Shadow for 15 minutes. Take their 15, okay you ready for register? Some go straight to service desk... lol. Most of these advocates btw it’s their first jobs or retail. It’s a shame because I think with investment such as mentor/trainer would be excellent team members and definitely worth 15./hr. 😢

the ‘learning journey’ is not terribly realistic as a one-size-fits-all program, which is why you should be partnering with your etl-se to figure out a practice that will work best for your store

Haha. ETL-SE..where would I find one of those. ? Sorry no time to train them and my team. Been on the journey for years now. I was simply offering a little laugh for anyone who needed it. I’m a good leader that does my best to support EVERY team and player in my store.

Weird. I've had three shifts so far as a Guest Advocate. I know the service desk, because I worked at the store for 3-3.5 years prior but since returning they haven't had me at the service desk. I have helped with OPU/Drive Up orders, but that was only because a Guest Advocate I worked with previously grabbed me off my lane to show me what had changed regarding them since I'd been gone - ie. not something that a SETL asked her to do, or intentionally attempted to have me trained on.

I wish I had hoarded away a copy of those old training checklists... I'm going to be deep diving into training soon and trying to improve it at our store because the new process is so bad. "Sit at a computer and then shadow someone for a bit" doesn't work. When I was GSA I was also team trainer for the front end and by golly everyone I've trained is knowledgeable as shit about their jobs, but just knowing stuff doesn't mean you're gonna remember to share it all, or that you know how to train effectively. Our new cashiers are all so lost and I feel so bad for them. No more! Hopefully.

I'm not really sure how bad training is at my store currently.

From 2013-2014 I was a GSTM and team trainer, 2014-2016 a GSA.

When I came back a few weeks ago they told me my trainer was a GSTM that knew me from before, so she basically just went, "Nope, he doesn't need training" and didn't even have me shadow, as such the only real training I've done this time around was the stuff on the computer.

My official "training" shifts are done now, but I haven't touched the service desk yet. I remember most of the procedures from the past, but I'm sure a lot of stuff has changed that I am mostly still clueless about.

Back