Archived Christmas & Thanksgiving Time Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, sorry in advance!

I recently started working at Target back in March. With the holiday season starting in a few months, I was wondering what Target's policies are in regards to time off during these times since I'm almost certain there's blackout dates for both holidays. I'd really rather not be working Thanksgiving/Black Friday or around Christmastime because I tend to travel during both holidays, usually across the country since I'm not originally from the area I work in. If I requested time off early enough, would they still be subject to blackout dates? I'm not exactly sure which dates I would and would not be here, which is why I've hesitated to request dates off. Would I have to prove that I'm actually going to be out of town/state to get the dates off? I don't want to request certain days off, buy plane tickets, and then have HR say, "Sorry, you're scheduled to work."

Thanks! :)

Good luck with that. Unfortunately, most people know when Thanksgiving is. Everyone knows when Christmas is. Basically the second half of November through January is a 6 week blackout. You can try to give your shifts away. Otherwise, suck it up and enjoy the holiday pay.

It happens. I've gotten both off the past two years. But it's rare and could end with a leadership change.

There's not a chance in hell that you will get everything off, but you may want to see how flexible your ETL-HR can be.

There is no way you will be able to have off the entire week of Thanksgiving, but you may be able to negotiate an early shift on Thanksgiving in order to be off on Black Friday and a few days after.

You have a much better chance of making it home for Christmas if you are able to get an early shift on Christmas Eve.

But again, all of that depends on how flexible your ETL-HR is.

Depends on favoritism, too. I've seen TLs get both Thanksgiving and Black Friday off by schmoozing it up. One even used her vacation hours for those days.

There are really no blackout dates anymore. They might say there are blackout dates, but there's really not. Maybe for ETLs and up, and to some extent TLs, but TMs should be able to request off and get it. Just put your request in early. Like negotiate it now.

We hire during 4th quarter SPECIFICALLY for those 2 days. It's literally all hands on deck. Every body is needed. Usually people get it off due to favoritism or some kind of schedule screw up.

Depending on your work center though, it might not be too bad. Flow specifically.

Yeah, it depends on your work center....you may be able to request which day you want off, but getting both Thanksgiving and Black Friday off isn't likely.

There are really no blackout dates anymore. They might say there are blackout dates, but there's really not. Maybe for ETLs and up, and to some extent TLs, but TMs should be able to request off and get it. Just put your request in early. Like negotiate it now.

My store had several signs up noting the black out dates for time off requests.

If you complain, sue and hit up that hotline enough all of your managers will be too afraid to deny you of anything! You can get away with murder at work! Fuckin bitch at my store gets every damn holiday off. And like 7 weeks off throughout the year.

:D
I would try to put in ASAP and keep trying. But don't aspect to get any days off during the holidays.

It will really depend on how you store works. Some stores black out just Thanksgiving and Christmas then some blackout from Halloween to the first week in January.

Some stores have a limited off one/work one scenario, if you get leave in early enough for one and its approved, then you would have to work the other day.

One year I decided to change my availability in August to be off on just Fridays for school. Some how it got approved and I was home for Black Friday.

I figured that these would be the kind of responses I got. I guess I don't really care so much about Thanksgiving and Black Friday as much as I do Christmas.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I'll be sure to talk to my ETL-HR asap.

Yeah Christmas should be much easier as long as you don't mind traveling on Christmas Eve.

It's possible honestly, but very rare. Like everyone else said, it's all about favoritism.

I was told by my HR that the people who honestly get those days off are people who have family across the country/world. It's just very rare........

The store isn't open but flow often gets stuck working truck in the morning.
I've never seen an Xmas eve truck. A few years ago though I was scheduled for -
1) Thanksgiving
2) Thanksgiving night into Black Friday (on 4 hours of sleep)
3) Xmas Eve night into Xmas and
4) New Years Eve.

Literally called out on Xmas Eve and told them straight out that I have a house full of people and I'm not leaving to work into the holiday morning. They must have expected that, nobody questioned me about it.

I've never seen an Xmas eve truck. A few years ago though I was scheduled for -
1) Thanksgiving
2) Thanksgiving night into Black Friday (on 4 hours of sleep)
3) Xmas Eve night into Xmas and
4) New Years Eve.

Literally called out on Xmas Eve and told them straight out that I have a house full of people and I'm not leaving to work into the holiday morning. They must have expected that, nobody questioned me about it.

That is rediculous for Target to even expect that. It's not like you work in a hospital or you're a police officer. That you showed up on all of the other holidays is quite admirable.

I feel being direct is the best way to get what you want, but you HAVE to be willing to compromise. You might have to take shorter trips, and be a little flexible. In the past, I've expressed I was leaving the state. I literally already had non-refundable tickets, and that I "couldn't" work a certain day. Not that I would "like to have it off." More like I "needed" to have it off/wasn't going to come in regardless and that it would be better for them to cover it while they still can." I never actually say that last part, but I imply it as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back