Service & Engagement Cleaning

Since getting the email from on high about cleaning the front end every 30 minutes, my store has struggled to do this. Like every other store, it’s been super busy with every register open and calling for back up from the floor. How are other stores handling this? Do you have a guest advocate who only does the cleaning? The every 30 minutes thing is unrealistic when it’s busy so do they wait until there’s a lull or do GA have to move registers? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Your store should have received payroll to schedule dedicated cleaning shifts. Guest advocates still do their jobs in the same way. At our store, the cleaners will ask a GA to turn off their light when a line slows and the GA moves to a "flex" lane. We have a 3 tier that has supplies and a sign on it that is then placed in the lane while it is being cleaned. Also in that cart are two pages of instructions and lists of what must be cleaned throughout the store that appear to have come from corporate, so I think someone at your management level may have dropped the ball. The 30 minutes is hard, but with dedicated cleaners who only clean (no backup, no calls, etc.) it is doable.

Our store isn't struggling with the cleaning so much as the freight. We got 3 doubles last week, and extra hours for that, but the extra hours all went to backing up the lanes and receiving is packed. Add in all the transitions and our backrooms are bursting while the shelves sit empty.

We have dedicated cleaners from like 8 AM to 7:30/8 PM (guess Guest safety doesn't matter after 8 PM lol).
During the time they are scheduled, they are not to be called for backup, carry-outs, reshop... nothing. We can't touch them (no pun intended) for any reason while they're cleaning.

Our store added people. The dedicated cleaners can only clean. Of course when I left yesterday; we were nearly out of cleaning supplies because our SD gave a bunch of our supplies to another store.

Our store isn't struggling with the cleaning so much as the freight. We got 3 doubles last week, and extra hours for that, but the extra hours all went to backing up the lanes and receiving is packed. Add in all the transitions and our backrooms are bursting while the shelves sit empty.
I try to thank everyone who comes to back up at my store. Right now though, I really think we need to just let guests know they are going to have to wait in a line. We can’t keep pulling team members from their other jobs because then there are all the complaints about how we don’t have anything on the shelves or there’s no one on the floor to assist guests. I hear it all the time when I’m at guest service.

I'm generally of the opinion that there's more to be gained by having guests who have already committed to buying stuff wait a few extra minutes to give people who are still trying to find stuff to buy the ability to find people to help them buy stuff. Or get the stuff out onto the floor so they can buy it.

The culture at the front end at my store tends to be "if they can see the backside of anyone peeking out beyond the checklanes, call for backup" and it bugs.

If you have a Cafe/Starbucks/Pizza Hut any of those TMs should be able to help you. The Food and Beverage TL should also be able to help you. They will show you how to set up the bottle and how long to leave it before wiping it down.

I'm doing quite a bit of cleaning with the Ecolab TB spray and paper towels. Make sure you are using protective gloves! One concern we're starting to have is that you gotta use a very light touch cleaning any of the touch display screens or payment pad screens. There has been talk that some of our screens may be losing sensitivity to finger input due to these cleanings, particularly as some TMs may not know you don't want to aggressively scrub on those touch screens. I would not mind if we had a "cheat sheet" guide for all TMs who are cleaning around the checkout lanes, SCO lanes, service desk, and front entrance/exit door areas.

Yeah I’ve been cleaning for weeks and then went to go use a couple registers yesterday I noticed that the touch screens weren’t working on them lol... oops, my bad 😬😬

I would not mind if we had a "cheat sheet" guide for all TMs who are cleaning around the checkout lanes, SCO lanes, service desk, and front entrance/exit door areas.
There are guides? There is Dedicated Cleaning Team Member Checklist and n Enhanced Disinfecting Checklist. They spell out what to wipe down, with what chemical, and how often.

Spoiler Alert: the tb disinfectant needs to it for a minimum of three minutes to be effective.

There are guides? There is Dedicated Cleaning Team Member Checklist and n Enhanced Disinfecting Checklist. They spell out what to wipe down, with what chemical, and how often. ..... Spoiler Alert: the tb disinfectant needs to it for a minimum of three minutes to be effective.....
That's news to me, and I appreciate you mentioning this. In our store at least, S&E Team members haven't been given the checklists you have mentioned. I am more than a little bit shocked and speechless - ASANTS. Not going to say any more.

Yeah I’ve been cleaning for weeks and then went to go use a couple registers yesterday I noticed that the touch screens weren’t working on them lol... oops, my bad 😬😬
I’ve noticed that too, just *let them dry* and reboot them and if they’re still not working (though that can fix), myhelp it for CSC

What is everyone doing to protect yourself and family members once you go back home after work? I would like to follow whatever I can do .

What is everyone doing to protect yourself and family members once you go back home after work? I would like to follow whatever I can do .
I wash my hands thoroughly whenever I get home from anywhere, been doing that for years. I finally got my husband to do the same, at least for now. I just started changing my clothes and throwing them in my own laundry basket. I have heard that others are also taking a shower right away, but I haven't started doing that yet.

Last time I was at my neighboring store they had a bottle of disinfectant and wipes up by the carts that the guests were using. Maybe the bottle was meant for TMs to use but was left unattended and guests used it, maybe it was left for them, idk. Guests seemed pleased to see it, though. At checkout the cashier wiped the card reader screen and keys with disinfectant between guests. When she did that, I felt valued as a guest, that’s for sure, and the lady behind me in line was smiling, too.

if I use 4 work gloves, each for every 2hours , and come home wash and dry it before next use, do you think it would be safe practice? Disposable gloves are not available anywhere and I feel it’s just increasing the biological waste in our environment!!

Back