Service & Engagement Cleaning

I bought a few pair of those plastic cleaning gloves my grandmother used to use to wash dishes. When I come home, I soak the pair in the sink with a little bleach. I was feeling bad about using the disposable gloves because of waste.

I closed the other night and all of the other team members left at 9 leaving me to clean the entire front end myself. I’m still cranky about it.
Do other stores have designated cleaners in other parts of the store like market?

We were a close at 10pm store before all this. We still schedule our closers to stay until 10 with the expectation that the last hour everyone does one last wipe down and spray with the disinfectant. The only ones to get out of this are the few Minors we have, and we still keep them until 9:30 to clean. Now is not the time to be frugal with payroll. Especially when it comes to cleaning.

For some reason we are still scheduling people up to the old close time- 11pm or midnight (Fri-Sat). We aren't actually cleaning. Cashiers are reshopping and help zone. OPU is working until 10 or 11pm. Sales floor are zoning and then pushing. Yes the store looks fuller and "cleaner" really just straighter but very little actual cleaning is being done after the store closes.

I do want to add that there are at least 2 dedicated cleaners during opening hours. One for the front end and one for the rest of the store.

Last edited:
I do want to add that there are at least 2 dedicated cleaners during opening hours. One for the front end and one for the rest of the store.
This part, yes. But I don’t get not cleaning after close. The only time we can use the TB Disinfectant is before the store or after it closes because it has to dwell for a minimum of three minutes. After close we just spray the crap out of everything and let it “dwell” till it dries. But that’s when we do big Ickes in the BR and ladders and a final cleaning off SFS/receiving/ all doors (freezer/cooler/BR/SF), and all restrooms get sprayed down.

Now since they’d can get all of that done by 9:30 wouldn’t it be great to have them knock out the active attack and shooter refresher course. I’ve had like 6 people in my store complete and HROC confirmed the due date hasn’t changed due to the pandemic.

For some reason we are still scheduling people up to the old close time- 11pm or midnight (Fri-Sat). We aren't actually cleaning. Cashiers are reshopping and help zone. OPU is working until 10 or 11pm. Sales floor are zoning and then pushing. Yes the store looks fuller and "cleaner" really just straighter but very little actual cleaning is being done after the store closes.

Yeah, we are supposed to spend the first hour cleaning and the last hour doing reshop and pushing.
I’ve brought up how irresponsible this is to my leaders and all I get is a shrug at worst or a sympathetic look but no promise of change at best.

This part, yes. But I don’t get not cleaning after close. The only time we can use the TB Disinfectant is before the store or after it closes because it has to dwell for a minimum of three minutes. After close we just spray the crap out of everything and let it “dwell” till it dries. But that’s when we do big Ickes in the BR and ladders and a final cleaning off SFS/receiving/ all doors (freezer/cooler/BR/SF), and all restrooms get sprayed down.
This is what I wish was happening at my store.

I'm no longer seeing a designated Cleaner on the work schedule. I get the impression that although we are cleaning the store's front end, I have no idea how or if the rest of the store is getting cleaned. How is cleaning happening in your store and in your workcenter, are your store's leaders reducing the time you spend cleaning?

Does it seem like the focus on cleaning after store closing is SPEED rather than thoroughness?

It just takes one devious guest filming with a smartphone camera to create a big PR problem if our store's cleaning doesn't seem to live up to what Target's TV commercials are claiming. No accusations, just curious here.

Cleaning should be scheduled under Support, so look there on the grids. As of the schedule written last week the FOS cart cleaning shifts should go under the same Cleaning bucket. I’m at a ULV and we’ve had about 2700 hours last week (for next week) and this week (for the 2 week out) and 150 is allocated for the Cleaning bucket. We’re scheduling about 167 each week (8-8 for the regular cleaning and open-close for carts).

After close since everything had been wiped down since ideally 7pm the closers have been giving a last wipe down in their areas the last half hour (so 8:30-9) and after closing it’s a quick spray with the Disinfectant to let it dwell overnight.

I understand ASANTS, but this is what we’re doing at my store.

We usually have two people cleaning carts, and cashiers/SCO clean registers, but I haven't seen anything else get cleaned in weeks.

They might be cleaning overnight or mornings, though. I only close.

Was anyone else instructed to clean their registers every 20 minutes instead of after every guest? I'm just worried about what guests will say if I'm not cleaning after every guest like I'm sure our guests have become accustomed to. GSTL instructed me to push Circle and watch out for theft or ticket-switching.

If a guest specifically asks me to clean their register, I'm happy to but I'm also wondering what Corporate's thinking is on this. Is our store/district experiencing an increase in shrink during this pandemic and they want to put an end to that?

Was anyone else instructed to clean their registers every 20 minutes instead of after every guest? I'm just worried about what guests will say if I'm not cleaning after every guest like I'm sure our guests have become accustomed to. GSTL instructed me to push Circle and watch out for theft or ticket-switching.

If a guest specifically asks me to clean their register, I'm happy to but I'm also wondering what Corporate's thinking is on this. Is our store/district experiencing an increase in shrink during this pandemic and they want to put an end to that?
No one told me that (but I didn’t work on Wednesday this week). Cases in my state are going up so I will still clean after every guest regardless of what I’m told.

I'm glad to see that you're still cleaning after every guest since, I agree and feel like that's safer and helps ease guest's concerns about the virus.

How is cleaning being handled at your stores in terms of cashiers at the checklanes and guest service team members? I asked one cashier if I could borrow her bottle of disinfectant spray since the bottle I was using ran out and she said that I could. I asked if the cashiers were still wiping down the belts and pin pads after every guest and she said that "no one seems to care that much anymore". I've noticed the same thing at guest services, when i'm covering someone's break.

I'm still obviously concerned about the virus and it doesn't seem like any team leads have given strict guidelines about cleaning after every guest except at self-checkout so I'm curious what other stores are doing.

I wish our cashiers were more vigilant and committed to cleaning after every guest. I know the GSTLs are busy and we just started drive-up last week so they've been focused on that but someone should help out and replenish the spray bottles when needed so the cleaning can get done.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that constant cleaning is really that necessary? As a germaphobe, I think it gives people a false sense of security. I don't touch my face with my hands anyway and I don't prepare or eat food until I wash my hands thoroughly. I also wash my hands as soon as I get home from anywhere, as well as after using the restroom, of course.

I also don't think it's necessary to quarantine returns. I'm obviously no medical or scientific expert, but are people really catching viruses from touching clothes? People need to wash their hands frequently, use sanitizer if they can't wash, and be careful about touching their face. I think wearing masks and actually practicing physical distancing is way more important than cleaning and quarantining merchandise. Masks and distancing for guests AND team members, everywhere in the building.

Last edited:
I would say no. I would say that the cleaning is all for show. I would say that those hours would be better served elsewhere. I would say that if a guest is touching clothes and then deciding not to purchase and they are put in the abandoned bin, what is the difference? If we have reduced quarantine time from 3 days to only 1 and the CDC themselves said the virus isn't typically found on surfaces, then why bother at all? Keep the fitting room closed but the quarantine is just dumb IMO.

Back