Archived Clopening

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told my ETL-SF once I have to open the next morning and then he would joke how he had to be there early next morning too, wasn't there.

I "threatened" the TLOD that night that if you don't let me go home I'm going to call out the next day since I was closing and had to be back at 7:30am. The PPTL was there that night and me and her are very close and she let me out.

I think clopening is just wrong, it should not be allowed. It screws me up for days after when I clopen. I know TMs who clopen once a week. The effect that has on you physically and mentally, it is really destructive, it is morally wrong. It can cause health problems, increase rate of car accidents, cause depression --- sleep deprivation is really harmful.

I think it all depends on your store and workcenter. I think that if your store closes at 10:00, then coming back in at 7:30 the next morning isn't unreasonable. Assuming you punch out at 10:30, that still gives you 9 hours in between shifts. I get that we have a diverse TM population when it comes to commute times, people with young kids, people with 2nd or 3rd jobs, but Target is never going to be able to account for all of that...that's just life working retail. For those whose stores close at 11 or midnight...or those asked to come in earlier than 7...clopening shouldn't be happening unless the TM gives the okay.

GSTL/GSA is one workcenter where we clopen all the time. Given there needs to be at least 2 GSAs scheduled each day in our store, and there are only 4 people in that workcenter, clopens are usually unavoidable (unless you have a GSA who doesn't mind closing 5 nights per week). We rotate our weekends so that the closer on Friday night always opens on Sat/Sun. I don't mind because it means the closer on Sat/Sun doesn't get stuck closing Friday too. It also means that if it's your weekend off, you don't have to close on Fri and can choose to take a weekend trip out of town or something.

I think the schedule should be done as close to as the way it's done for executives. Look at your LOD grid in TMSC.

Typically ETLs intentionally are scheduled to be off after their closing night. This doesn't always happen but again look at your stores schedule it usually does.

Thankfully after a close, I usually don't have to be in 'til 10 or later the next day.

Once a week for me. But the day after I am off. So on the open end, I'll go home, take a power nap, then be ready for an evening and then day off.

It should be a federal law that no one has to work less than 8 hours between shifts. And for every hour they work before that, it's time and a half. That's the only way the clopens will stop.

I remember closing pfresh at 10pm on Sunday and opening 6am Monday for a good 2 months before my ETL noticed and told me it'll get changed.
It's technically 8 hours between shifts so I didn't care.

Our ETLs don't do clopens.
When an ETL closes, they're not scheduled any earlier than a mid so they have ample time between shifts.
During my GSA years, I clopened way too much because the others 'had classes', 'couldn't hold their liquor', 'had a social life' & the like.

If a TM tells me on my closing night that they have to be there early the next day and it's a work center that can come in later, I'll offer to change their time for the next day. If I have a lot of closers and the store isn't horrible, I'll let them go early. I close and come in at 8:30-9 the next morning and that's hard for me, I couldn't imagine anything earlier.

What is this obsession ETLs seem to have when they schedule me closing, they ALWAYS have my opening or early morning the next day. I've said I hate closing anyway, but I agree to it every now and then as a favor to an ETL I like, then get screwed over on the next schedule because no one can just look to see what I work the Saturday before.

So I go to the ETL who scheduled me closing and tell him I feel guilty letting him down but I'm not working till midnight then coming in at 6am. I'm just not. So he says he'll take care of it then HRTM says he set it to 11pm closing instead. At that point I put my foot down and said no, 10pm at the latest. I'm not killing myself for these people anymore. They don't give a flying fuck about me, so I'm not giving a fuck about them and their "business needs".

Sorry, I just needed to rant.
They HAVE to give you 8 hours between.

It should be a federal law that no one has to work less than 8 hours between shifts. And for every hour they work before that, it's time and a half. That's the only way the clopens will stop.

Agreed. Fortunately some local governments including mine are enacting ordinances to prevent this sort of scheduling nightmare. The West Coast seems to be more progressive with this but then again ... it's expensive as "all-get-out" to live there.

We stayed until 12:30 AM one night during 4th Quarter. I had a 6:30 AM instocks shift the next day, our SrTL sent out the email saying he'd be in at 10 instead of 8. *rolls eyes* :mad:

I clopen on the new schedule.... 4:30-11:00 then 8:00-4:30 :/

Disclaimer: I'm not blaming the schedule because there is a nice sized gap and I can't hold target scheduling responsible for how it interacts with the NJTransit schedule. But our availabilities haven't really changed and this wasn't the case before.

For the past few months I'm semi-clopening (not a true clopen) twice a week. My store's business hours are 8a-11p. One set of days results in me leaving at 10pm and returning at 830 then a couple days later I close then am scheduled at 10. I take the bus though so I have to be on a bus way before I'd leave if I had a car. I don't hold that against the work schedule, but I still feel the effects of it and I come into work super sluggish. Me and another lady are basically on alternating fr schedules during those days (she takes public transport as well). I wouldn't be annoyed by it if I didn't know our availabilities allowed for something better though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back