Archived Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same at my store. Not sure how big the 1's were but the 3's were 6 hours today.

Day 3. Tiny 1s, huge 3s. Again.

Pulling shit we dont need. Shampoo, eye liner.... Plenty of capacity on all that stuff.

This might be the most logical thing I've read since we started hearing about the new CAF schedule. Now if only this could be printed, laminated, and posted in every TL/ETL office...

This would be fantastic if we were not working the huge 3s till after 630 pm.

I've been waiting to comment until I let the system run itself for a few days. Our store is doing great, the additional two hours to backstock on truck days is extremely beneficial, and the 1pm and 3pm cafs are easily manageable for one skilled team member. The stores that seem to be suffering don't seem to understand that they need to stop doing manuals and let the system correct itself and work. If SFQ and Capacity is accurate, and you have even a semi-decent instocks routine, then this rollout should be making your life much easier. The TL's and ETLs/STL's that are dumping time into manuals don't understand that the whole point of this system is to reduce the repetitive action of pulling 1 of an item every hour. Instead your Autofills are large enough to keep the floor full till the end of the day, if a fill group is on sale, then use exfs or pog fills for that specific location. My backroom team will partner with the LOD and do fills for specific areas, the salesfloor team now has plenty of time for reshop and for filling endcaps. Let the system work and for once in your life stop fighting against a system that works. I'm all for manuals, I drove them like crazy during 4th quarter, but everyone needs to accept the fact that the Autofills need to be this large and to stop dropping manuals to "off set" your only two cafs of the day. It makes sense to reduce backroom hours and to start combining the instocks and backroom teams. If you can't adapt to changes then you shouldn't be a TL or ETL. Target will be going through more drastic changes then this over the coming year, and to be honest I'm excited for it.

Huge 3's full of stuff that is not needed (eg..some HBA items) is not a successful system to have in place. This is not a working system.

Agreed what was wrong with the no CAF system? Was the only time we ever came clean and were able to do the secondary tasks.

Most stores couldn't consistently dedicate the time to keep their floors filled, so they were put in as a backup to make sure that at least once a day in the middle we were filling our floors at some point.

Most stores couldn't consistently dedicate the time to keep their floors filled, so they were put in as a backup to make sure that at least once a day in the middle we were filling our floors at some point.

Where is the training on this new system? Everything that you explained is that in writing? I've seen the red wire but you made it plain as day and I feel like my leaders are going nuts trying fill the floor and keep Backroom busy.

My closers have pulled more batches than they would have with the old system

I'm going to challenge upwards I just want to make sure I'm in the right before I do

Last edited:
My entire team dug in heels and said this would fail and I said give it a week and let's see where we need to tweak it. After 3 days it's agreed autofills will be bigger so we have 5 come in @ 4am since all have been over 11 hours. My 4ams stay til 11 and at that time 95% of Backstock is done. My 8:30-4 person does audit and pulls for instocks. 1pm-5 is next shift. 1's have been around 1:15 so we're good. 3's are around 3 hours. I have a 3-7 and a 6:15-11. Only opportunity we've seen is PFresh needs to be filled again due to heavy shops so we dropped manuals and it seemed to work. We get around 355 for hours and are a 5dc truck sometimes 6 and 3 to 4 PFresh a week. Sorry for the rant but it can work if given a chance and hours. Not sure what others get but for my team's...backroom and instocks they like it.

I had my doubts, but it's working VERY well at our store.

We are an A volume, almost A+, but still considered A.

Our 1pm pulls are around 45 minutes, and the 3pm pulls have been 1:30 and completed early every time.

The way it's been explained to me is that the pulls during the day only fill the top selling items in the store, where the hourlies used to try and fill the whole floor to capacity to the best of their ability with some additional parameters to keep them from being like 8 hours if pulls per hour. And now we want to fill the floor to capacity with the truck.

Our 4am pulls have been pretty consistent with what we had before, maybe 30 more minutes of labor, but no big deal.

Whatever is happening, it's working alright at our store, and we've had a lot of time left over to get clean most every night. And that's a hell of an improvement over where we used to be.

Same. I haven't heard anything about how people are being scheduled with this new system, or how the TLs/ETLs have been handling things. I guess I'll just be surprised.

4am autos were huge and had the usual lots of backstocked. On the other hand, my 1pm dairy had 13 DPCIs, 85 eaches, 4 of which were backstocked. Went very well. I was able to knock out all 3 coolers' backstock.

Deli was tiny, as it should be. I'm glad it lets stuff sell down more so that we don't have to pull an entire casepack to fill one single item missing.

No truck today so backroom was able to pull my many many batches.

Where is the training on this new system? Everything that you explained is that in writing? I've seen the red wire but you made it plain as day and I feel like my leaders are going nuts trying fill the floor and keep Backroom busy.

My closers have pulled more batches than they would have with the old system

I'm going to challenge upwards I just want to make sure I'm in the right before I do

I have been a part of a few of the tests before the rollout so I am not 100% sure where it is all now. The rollout guide says to basically do what you have to per store, not much direction in particular. All you have to do is literally the least amount of work possible dayside to keep your floor filled. How come these new ETLs try so hard when the bare minimum is what is being asked on this project, and then do the opposite on the harder things?

We are coming clean daily but it really has nothing to do with this new system. We've had smaller trucks and that's all it's taken for us to get caught up. I do know the few sales floor members like it because they have a much smaller workload and they are finally able to zone.

Yes, most teams are getting too aggressive with filling the floor. They hear that they are in charge of filling and suddenly they are doing deep scans and fills throughout entire departments. This is not the point at all. The point is that its not productive to work pulls during the day in general. It is not productive to make multiple trips to items during the day that are already represented on the floor (half capacity or more). It is not productive to stock pulls late into the evening when its possible the truck will just stock the item anyway. The list goes on.

Dayside needs to fill the aisles that require specialty work, such as PTM in key areas, endcap and sidecap fills, reshop, and clearance.
They need to fill the floor enough to prevent guest requests and to maintain a presentation minimum throughout the store. They need to deep fill where appropriate (such as paper early in the day to allow a decent sale through by the end of the night). They need to zone the store and backup the lanes. The logistics team then should have more push off the truck and less truck backstock, their autofills should increase but also be more eaches (unless your team is doing too many manuals during the day), and the dayside backroom hours should decrease overall but the logistics team should get some of those hours.

Man, I wish you would pass along this info to my store. I get it. Doesn't seem as though anyone else does. It is very frustrating to witness the shit show at my store.

So far I'm pleased with the new system. The 3pm CAFs were a little over 3 hours, and we had it done within the hour. However, there was nobody to push the stuff even though we were done pulling CAFs at least 2 hours before we would normally finish. We only had 3 BRTMs today (not counting the TL who is constantly being pulled every except the backroom), so...sorry, you're not taking them to help push.

All in all, the back room looks much cleaner than it has in months, possibly even a year.

When I got in tonight, all the push was done from the CAFs. I actually had time to set the line and pull price changes.

It was wonderful.

5 and a half hour shifts in the backroom FTW!

I like pulling less but I don't like having to do the work of a sales floor team member.

So my verdict. Overall, I think it's been a good change for my store. By removing the hourly CAFs, we are generating far less backstock while keeping the floor relatively filled, and are able to get a lot more done in terms of backroom tasks. After the 3 o'clocks drop, I have plenty of time to get the price change pulled, line set, and backstock done. However, for whatever reason there were a million more SPUs than normal last night, and I'd estimate that I spent probably a third of my shift solely dealing with SPUs and Get for Guests. It also doesn't help that much to my annoyance, the Women's Price Change batch had me pull every god damn size and style of women's underwear, and the top 2 shelves on my three tier were just full of panties. It's really annoying having to pull 50+ WACOs full of varying styles with sizes XS to XL all in one location.

I can only speak for operations in the evening though, but I'll learn more about how we're doing with it morning side on Friday.

I have been a part of a few of the tests before the rollout so I am not 100% sure where it is all now. The rollout guide says to basically do what you have to per store, not much direction in particular. All you have to do is literally the least amount of work possible dayside to keep your floor filled. How come these new ETLs try so hard when the bare minimum is what is being asked on this project, and then do the opposite on the harder things?
Because in my area it's coming from the group director.

I get where you're coming from regarding payroll, it hasn't been a fun last two months, but I think part of your problem is the way you view your team and your store.

No this IS MY STORE. I take ownership from top to bottom always have.

IRather than "my team" it should be "my store", think of the positive impact that his change will have on the store as a whole

Where is this positive impact???? Remember we've been through the pilot. It was overwhelming RIDICULED and REJECTED HERE.

I
, rather than the hours that your department is losing. I'm a Backroom/instocks Sr.TL, sitting on the ETL bench, I understand how the hour cuts and caf schedules have impacted both backroom and flow, but it's a positive change.

How is this positive?

I Even if the instocks team isn't "your" team, it doesn't mean you can't

Internal politics here... BRTL has "their" TEAM. They run it, and ONLY THEY RUN IT. You don't mess with the BR/IS team here. That TL has either the skeletons or other grease to run things as they please here. You don't tell that team anything, maybe the ETL or STL does, but any other TL, will be resoundingly ignored by TM and countermanded by the BRTL.

My team supports 99% of the store, as if my team didn't agree to do PC, IS, BR, CA, FA, and on and on.. there would be no fill in. Hell BR CO/NCNS, I've lost the BR cert'd flow TM(s) right off the bat!

I
help them which in turn makes the life of Flow TM's easier.

And and how is this going to make like easier for my Flow team????

Lets see INCREASED AUTOFILLS on truck days, increasing push in areas

INCREASED AUTOFILLS on non trucks days, lets see with maybe 2 TM(s) and TL to push... ok lets start with the FIVE (5) OVERFLOWING off the top, out the sides metro carts .... for dry... the paper one was 2 flats piled taller than by 2x or more, and not safe to push to the floor without restacking it to like 4 flats.

All with less and less hours. SF? No they are not going to help... there is NONE! Except market who is culling, pulling from cooler/frzr, and pushing coolers/frs, eggs, ice, milk, reshop, cleaning. Elect for ALL Of HL till ~ 1000, one SL, and a FRO. SF has reshop to clean up.

IEvery work center needs to be receptive to change, yet often times no leader wants to be the first to take that step towards change. Rather than being so adamantly against this, you should be helping the other work centers accept and own this change, which in the end will help your store.

We been here done this, the STORE, STL to TM, don't like it, and it didn't/doesn't work. Not working now.

Repeating something over and over expecting different results is idiocy.

I
This will be a huge culture change for many stores, but fighting against a system will only cause a waste of payroll and the morale to burn out at your store. Just my opinion.

Yes, and it was not sold nor tested as such.. and it is NOT being implemented as such. None of the changes being outline else where here were done during the pilot nor now. You want to make that kind of systemic changes then COMMUNICATE THAT and IMPLEMENT it in mytime!

No payroll sucking here.. plain and simple this is the hours, and you will be shown the broom! Get OUT. TM corralling in 4-3-2-1.. run them to the clock and get out! Nobody stays unless they are FDC, or some where some one pried out hours for something...ie: CO/NCNS

This is not the point at all. The point is that its not productive to work pulls during the day in general. It is not productive to make multiple trips to items during the day that are already represented on the floor (half capacity or more).

I have no issue with that.... but... I have an issue with your "represented on the floor" level..

BUT

I disagree that lets just say for example product x is on sale, or even just popular, there is 50% on the floor to start.. it sells out during the day.. OH WELL SO SAD ! Comeback tomorrow when we restock it! While a casepack sits in the BR... Yeah that is going to help sales... NOT!

And, NOPE, there is nobody going to come along and scan that out and go fill it during the day, if it occurs after IS goes home which around here will be about 1100 or so...Nope SF??? What SF ???? ETL/TL??? They are all busy doing your clearance, reshop, PTM etc..

It is not productive to stock pulls late into the evening when its possible the truck will just stock the item anyway. The list goes on.

Yeah, in theory this JITL looks great in a book, on paper, and in the that virtual reality of fantasy TGT.. now lets move to the real world where... JITL BLOWS UP, every time.

1) Truck breaks down...
2) Truckers run out of hours
3) Supplier has issues ie: breakdown at plant, delivery to TGT FDC/DC's
4) And even better the product simply is just not on the truck!

All this is an ever escalating breakdown, in that as soon as anything breaks in this process, the wheels fall off the bus, and it just cascades on and on and on.. and you end up here.

What is it Raisin Nut something had some supplier issues, so there is none or less to spread around.. see there you go as soon as this make just enough fails, and try to air express it via some truck... FAIL...

All that stuff that the truck was going to deliver and Flow push JIT, is now MIA, and now EMPTY SHELFS! :mad:

Do list on, please... because everything you list just supports the point that LOGISTICS needs to be overnight, company wide. Thanks!

Dayside needs to fill the aisles that require specialty work, such as PTM in key areas, endcap and sidecap fills, reshop, and clearance. [/qupte]

That is fine IF, IF the above works, and Flow has the hours to become the true logistic ninjas that you advocate, which I agree with, but.. it is not going to happen...

They need to fill the floor enough to prevent guest requests and to maintain a presentation minimum throughout the store. They need to deep fill where appropriate (such as paper early in the day to allow a decent sale through by the end of the night).

WHO????? WHO is going to do this deep fill... and

They need to zone the store

During the DAY??!!??!?!? Ok, well now you just added another task to the NONEXISTANT SF, TL's, and ETL's.. so if I am zoning, yeah sure you can shoot outs.. but:

1) Who is going to pull that ????? BZZT! NOT SF!!! They are NOT BR CERT'd! BZZTTT !!! BTRL is NOT going to CERT the entire store!
2) Who is going to push it??? Lets just say that magically this is pulled....BR??? NOPE! SF??? Nope.. We are zoning, PTM, clearnace, reshop... No time for that now!

and backup the lanes.

:mad: :mad: What little there is of SF... is doing way too... WAAAAAYY TOOO MUCH! Relying, no OVER RELIANCE on Fast Service is a crutch that is going to fail, no IS FAILING! Guests get disgruntled and leave piles of crap at the CL, and walk out the door! You can screem on the radio all you want for fast service... THERE AINT NO (*&(**&&^% BODY ELSE!!!! They are up there already!!! :mad: Including several TL's! OH and that call box that has "Third request, service level exceeded..." TOOO *(&*&^*&^ BAD!

Cashiers need to STEP UP THEIR GAME when its busy BEFORE you HIT THAT F(**&^*& BUTTON for fast service or the GSA/GSTL call for it! That means ZIP IT ON THE (*&*(&( RC SPIELS! You just piss off guest with it any way!

The logistics team then should have more push off the truck and less truck backstock, their autofills should increase but also be more eaches (unless your team is doing too many manuals during the day),

For some cases this true, BUT, BUT! There is still stuff coming to the floor to be pushed that is 1-2 to stock, which SHOULD HAVE BEEN BS when it came off the truck!! FAIL! AND it has come out in the 1300 and 1500 CAF's as well.. FAIL, again.

and the dayside backroom hours should decrease overall

Dayside for who? SF and BR... yeah they are cutting the bone as it is!

but the logistics team should get some of those hours.

Ok.. then I want that in writing! Beacause.. .HAHAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHHAAAAAA! Those hours just went POOOF! POOFFFFF!

NO, they didn't go to SF!

NO they didn't go to BR!

And they sure as hell didn't come to Flow!

And no GE didn't get them either as there aint no GS, or cashiers... They get ~ 380 or so for forseeable future..from about ~ 420 or so...

JUST POOOF! Into the hours ether! They are gone!! From 640 to 525 to 515 by M-Wk5 that leaves 475 for that week to push 4 DC trucks of ~2100, oh and those 3 FDC's, and that Mcclanes, and increased autofills in the AM... oh.. goody, I got two of the flood of self terms coming... well looks like I can save those 32 hours just in time. :) ;)

None of what you are advocating happened during the pilot, and none of it is happening now.... and by the end of this or next week at the latest.. I can expect to see the BRTL posting a schedule of manuals to be completed just like we did towards the end of the pilot. And only, and ONLY when we did this did the store fill again. Not sure who is going to push them.. as we went through that ordeal once, and it AINT BR! And if SF is going to push them, and zone.. well... Oh and for market, you better be culling, and cleaning tooo ... yeahhh riiiigghhth!

And on non truck days.. where are the hours to push these increased autofills??? Again, no there was no increase in the hours for logistics.. and those 5 HEAPING OVERFLOWING 2 tier carts of autofills...

If you want to make these kinds of MAJOR SYSTEMIC CHANGES to the operations, then it needs to be communicated as such in writing on exactly what is going to be done and how.. because that was NOT done during the pilot nor done when we switch back to this... None of what you are suggesting to be done was communicated verbally or in that document I was given.. Just well here is the new CAF schedule, your hours for this are now..............

If you want the stores to change completely the way they operate you are going to have to spell it out, and that is not what happened.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
So far so good at my ULV store. The autofills for my store have been on the larger side, but the CAFs are definitely on the relative small side leaving the backroom team more time to take care of backstock. Leadership is not even going to try dropping manuals or pog fill batches until we all see how the store looks with instocks and salesfloor doing their thing.

The change is definitely a positive change thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back