Archived closing hardlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious how other stores close. We have two people in hardlines and they both come in at 6:30. The zone is broken up ab(hba, chemicals, stationary) and cd(bath, bed, furniture). I always end up getting ab, and having to cover electronics, I am lucky if I get 3 hours to zone and respond to backup. The store looks like utter crap, and i have to skip asiles in order to finish on time and you can forget CIHYFS.

I am curious how other stores close. We have two people in hardlines and they both come in at 6:30. The zone is broken up ab(hba, chemicals, stationary) and cd(bath, bed, furniture). I always end up getting ab, and having to cover electronics, I am lucky if I get 3 hours to zone and respond to backup. The store looks like utter crap, and i have to skip asiles in order to finish on time and you can forget CIHYFS.

When I used to close and would get assigned A&B, my key to success was skipping the isles that had all of the pushers in them; mostly the pharmacy isles, and trial and travel and whatnot. Just run through them and pick out any reshop, and touch up anything that's obnoxiously out of place. We usually only have 2-3 sales floor closers at my store too (we're ULV), except for on weekends. It's rough, but payroll sucks here. We've gotten really good at wave zoning though!

At my store we only have 2 hardlines closers. One will be scheduled 7-11 and the other from 5-11. They’ve been cutting payroll at my store so we leave at 10:15, even though we’re scheduled to 11.

This is how the schedule for us goes
5:00 – 6:00 emphasis on reshop, zone while reshopping
6:00 - 10:00 focus only on the zone
10:00 – 10:15 if the zone is done then work on reshop

Evening huddle takes about 30 minutes. The LOD will typically be late to their own huddle.
HL-TM #1 will have to take a lunch and a break (ha)
HL-TM #2 will have to take a break
One HL-TM will have to cover the Electronics TM break and lunch.
If the Electronics TL is working that night, then we also cover him while he covers the GSTL’s break and lunch.

This is how our zone is split up:
A = HBA and Pets (by far the most time consuming)
B and C = Kitchen, Photo frames, Lamps
D = Seasonal, Bath, Bed, Furniture

The zone gets finished but some areas will look like crap. Reshop will also be high or overflowing and oozing out of the cart.

I usually will take my lunch during huddle or cover Electronics during huddle. Huddle is a waste of time.
7:00 PM “Salesfloor it’s time for evening huddle, head down to the TL office!” - LOD
7:05 PM “Salesfloor if you’re not in the TL office please do so” - LOD
7:10 PM “LOD are you coming to huddle? Everyone has been here waiting for the past ten minutes”
7:11 PM “Sorry I was late. I went to QMOS these muffins, cupcakes, and grabbed some starbucks for you guys. Anyway let me start huddle by talking about health and well-being. Oh and the sales goal is 160K but we’re only at 140K.”
7:30 “Cool thanks for coming to huddle”

30 minute huddles? What the heck is there to talk about for thirty minutes?

Usually the LOD will be late to their huddle, anywhere from 5-10 minutes late.

We then do recognition, everyone has to participate. Then talk about sales, conversion, attachments, events, volunteer events, safety, and then some random huddle topic. Then we’re given some spiel about remembering to ask for redcards when doing back up.

at the store I'm at there's usually 1 person per section. 1 person in HBA/Cosmetics, 1 person doing stationary, etc. Only area that has more than 1 TM zoning at close is pfresh/dry market. Our closing shift is 4 hours 30 minutes. We stay 30 minutes after closing. TMs at my store don't get enough hours to take a lunch during their shift at my store at the moment, so we don't have to deal with that covering lunch break BS. The huddles at my store are usually not that important either, but at least my ETLs keep it short.

A+ volume P-Fresh. On a good night, we get 3 or 4 closers in hardlines. One in A (HBA, pets, chemicals), one in E (toys and sporting goods), one in C and D (domestics), and if there's a 4th, they're in B (stationery, kitchen), paper, and/or seasonal. We also have two closers in market (one P-Fresh and one dry) who are separate from the rest of hardlines, and if payroll allows, we have a designated CAF pusher who works 12-8:45. **If payroll does not allow for a CAF pusher and at least three zoners, then the TL and LOD have to push all the CAFs and zone the easier areas like B and domestics.** Shifts are 5:15-11 or 5:30-11, so we don't take lunches. We generally start with the zone. Once we are finished with our zones, we either start our re-shop or help in other zones if needed. Depending on the TL, we may all start re-shop an hour before closing. If electronics needs coverage for their break, either the TM in E (closest to the boat) or whoever knows electronics the most will cover their break.

Now that our ad takedown is no longer overnight, Saturday closing shifts start at 6 or later for the TMs that are staying late to scan out the ad. At 10:00, everyone stops their zone or re-shop and starts taking down all the signs in their areas. They scan out as many of the signs as they can if they leave at 11, then the TMs that are staying late finish the rest.

I've noticed lately we've had 1 sales floor team member and a Team Lead over there. I feel as if the TL doesn't zone, but push go backs or do projects, but i could be wrong. And soft lines usually has 2 people, the operator and a sales floor team member. I don't think our hardlines has gotten a really good zone in a long time.

I used to work closing Hardline shifts usually from 530-1030. And it sucked BIG TIME. Most of the time there was no morning/mid-day zone because there was no team except for the opening TL and Electronics. Maybe one TM if we were lucky.

Work reshop as soon as you arrive, zone the sections that have the least amount of traffic first; Auto/Sports. Most of these can be worked fast because of low traffic and bulky items. Market, HBA, and Domestics will be the hardest to zone and should be left to the end of the night and teamed together.

Just watch your areas, and you will see a trend of the shopping of guests.

Last edited:
lol

we have at least 15 to 25 people closing. Our guests really trash the store. :(

Our team comes at 4 and 5pm to midnight, and TLs are 3-12. Electronics is 3/3.30-11.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back