Archived Closing shift: To complain or not to complain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why do they bother with a schedule? You have a horrible way to look at work, no one told you when you are treated that way to leave. Abuse is not employment.
Ok so lets say you were an independent contractor

But I'm not an independent contractor. Your analogy fails right from the beginning.

I can smell these corporate shills a mile away. You aren't fooling anyone, buddy.
U think i work for corporate....... obviously im arguing with idiots.

Argument over... You lose.

Even your contractor example doesn't work.

Your contract would say you need to complete 300 go backs a day with five hours if work on average.

One day it takes three, you leave early.
Another it takes six you leave late.
Last day it takes five.
As a contractor you still come in two hours under so you win.

But target has set hours the floor has to be worked. You don't get to go home early if you finish early, and most stores sure aren't staying an hour or more late if stuff is unfinished. You would blow your staffing hours all to hell. If anything the opening or mid-shift crew would be asked to stay a little. And only if the payroll is there and sales are on track.

When I first started it was expected you stayed and if you did not like others said they would find ways to get back at you. Schedule you less hours, coach you for everything, ride your ass all night to make sure you worked every second you were there and a billion other things. Your life is much easier if you stay and take one for the team. If I went over I stayed I either got paid overtime or I cut it on my terms on a day I didnt want to be there.

I have no problem staying on and helping.

I don't see what the big deal is... you're there to get hours, so get them.

New hires need to be made aware of the store's policy on closing shifts. Not doing so is deceptive and cruel when it's the case that you're being kept late, especially during the holidays when one might end up staying 1-2 hours past the time you're scheduled to leave.

chiming in to repeat that they cannot FORCE you to stay past your scheduled time. they can ASK, but they can't retaliate if you leave at your originally scheduled time!

...I mean, I guess they can technically retaliate. they just can't retaliate in a legit non-shady way.

It's possible to disagree on a subject without getting insulting and on here calling someone a corporate shill is almost as bad as dissing their mother.
So leave it be.

But bro, your mother smells like wet dog.

Dunno, seems less insulting than calling you a corporate shill :p

It's possible to disagree on a subject without getting insulting and on here calling someone a corporate shill is almost as bad as dissing their mother.
So leave it be.

Could be worse, I could call your momma a corporate shill.:cool:

So leave it be.

Could be worse, I could call your momma a corporate shill.:cool:
Could be worse, I could call your momma a corporate shill who smells like a wet dog.

OP, you said you are there about a month but are in it for the long haul.. I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) Anyone can be let go up until their 90 day review. No one is hired for the long haul until after the 90 days.
As far as staying past your scheduled hours - I am assuming you aren't at 40 hours otherwise they would be making you cut your time. Unless your store has hours to give away.
Since you aren't there for 90 days, your option would be to stay and do the work past your scheduled time (which they would like) or say you have plans and leave (which would probably not get you past 90 days at target) So it is sort of a catch 22.

If your store is anything like mine they will let go of all the seasonal employees no matter what you do. I'm sure someone will jump in and say otherwise or I am mistaken but my store did this last holiday season we kept no one.

One way to get out on time is INSIST on the break you are earning. Check your information board where the schedule is. That will show what is required for breaks and lunches. When ETLs and TLs assume team members will stay past their scheduled time they often ignore what that team member is earning in break time. The cannot deny you your earned breaks. I think stores that continually hold team members hostage (yes it is hostage you are guilted into staying with threats of losing your job because you are not a team player) need t0 schedule accordingly. If you want the team to stay 1 hour after close, schedule it that way. This is a job not your life. Of course their are times when things just go to hell without warning and team members should be asked to stay and help. But this is a 2 way street. ETLs and TLs that fail to treat their team and their personal lives with respect will get none in return.

I always look at the closing shift as a way to get OT seeing that I am full time as a Perishables Assistant

If your store is anything like mine they will let go of all the seasonal employees no matter what you do. I'm sure someone will jump in and say otherwise or I am mistaken but my store did this last holiday season we kept no one.

Most stores will replace the permanent team members that they lose between August and January with seasonal team members. But not that many end up getting kept on

I don’t know how your Target works, but at mine, if you are scheduled till close-YOU have to stay till the whole store is ready for the next day. One of my latest nites was 2am. My area is always done within 15 minutes, but then I have to go help whoever needs help. If you don’t stay, you risk losing your schedule or asking for anytime off.

I don’t know how your Target works, but at mine, if you are scheduled till close-YOU have to stay till the whole store is ready for the next day. One of my latest nites was 2am. My area is always done within 15 minutes, but then I have to go help whoever needs help. If you don’t stay, you risk losing your schedule or asking for anytime off.
I leave when I’m scheduled. If they want me to work later, then they need to schedule it. Just like they expect an open availability or mostly open (for part time hours 😂), I expect to leave when scheduled. I plan my life around when I work. A schedule isn’t a suggestion.

When I started 11 years ago they use to schedule us an hour past close. That changed like 5 or 6 years ago.

Your schedule has an end time. That end time is there for a reason. If you go significantly over, then you are at risk for compliance and/or maxing out your hours before the week is even done.

Like @no nix nein said, it isn't a suggested leave time and no one should feel compelled to stay longer than scheduled unless you are asked and you want to.

We get scheduled 15 minutes past close occassionally 30 minutes. Most ETLs / TLs are cool with us leaving at our scheduled time if we need to for some reason, but we are expected to stay. I’ve never stayed too long after though. They try to get us out as quick as possible and lots of nights we get out like 5 after close. Q4 generally has us staying 30 mins after close even if we’re all only scheduled 15.

Now last Thanksgiving I agreed to stay to close instead of the nice, short shift I was scheduled for and they really wouldn’t let me leave until all the reshop at Guest Service was sorted and they sent no one up to help me... I was so pissed. I ended up getting it done and shortly after that the night was called... ended about 1 hour and half after close. That’s the worst I’ve ever seen at my store though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back