Archived closing TL expects us to clock out but makes us wait 20-40 minutes to leave building

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been an issue since I started. I work at a 2-story location and during closing shifts, we have to wait to be let out by the closing TL who has the keys. With some TLs this isn't a problem and they'll get us out of there ASAP, but there are a few who like to do their security walks and send emails, making us wait until they're finished. It usually takes 10-20 minutes for them to come down, but the record is 40.

Me and my fellow TMs have started refusing to clock out until the TL is ready to come down and let us out. The other night a TL told the team they can't do that because they need to be working if they're on the clock. And they don't like us doing punch corrections for that because someone hit compliance after submitting one.

This has also caused issues for me personally because of transportation - I don't have a car and use Uber to get home, and I once had them cancel on me and charge me a fee because my TL took too long and I had to get another ride.

Anyway. Can they do that? Is this a hotline issue? And if someone does call the hotline, how do they stay anonymous?

Talk to your ETL-HR. If you are required to be in the building to be let out then you should be on the clock. I don’t understand why you have to wait for your closing TL to leave the building, though, like you physically can’t get out unless they come unlock the door? (Sorry my store only has one floor)

I never make my team stay. In fact, I usually have to try to get them out when they are supposed to be because we are always over on payroll. Technically I shouldn’t be walking out to my car alone, but I really couldn’t care less. The closing team lead should probably talk to HR about having someone there, scheduled, until the same time they are if that’s the concern. If it’s just that they are too lazy to come down and let you guys out, then they should probably reevaluate their life.

If you're being forced to stay in the building, you're on the clock. As a closing TL I specifically schedule somebody to stay late with me, but if theres other people there I tell them not to punch out.

I can’t speak for your TL but I do ask my team members to wait for me mind you the most they stay is an extra five minutes for me to lap the building and make sure the store is armed.

TLs cannot be in the building by themselves, and most TLs (self included) like the team to walk out together for safety reasons. That may be a reason too.

I really don’t see why it would be a big deal for a team lead to be in the building alone. What if the doors won’t secure? We’ve had that issue a couple of times. They have two hours to respond to that issue, but you can’t force someone to stay with you for two hours waiting for a vendor to fix the door. That’s completely unreasonable.

I'm surprised that the company doesn't require AP to stay. At my old job a manager and security person had to close the building together.

I really don’t see why it would be a big deal for a team lead to be in the building alone. What if the doors won’t secure? We’ve had that issue a couple of times. They have two hours to respond to that issue, but you can’t force someone to stay with you for two hours waiting for a vendor to fix the door. That’s completely unreasonable.
No one should ever be in the building alone for safety and security reasons.

I guess it just depends. I don’t work at a fancy high volume store with 20 people every night. And I’m the only closing team lead. I know some stores have two, some even have a closing ETL. I don’t have that luxury, nor do I need it. I have about 10 people max, and mostly they are scheduled until exactly close. I don’t see any reason for me to force them to stay. I am a perfectly capable adult, and they clearly trust me enough to have keys to the building. I also don’t work at store in a very questionable area, so my last concern is something happening when I walk to my car.

That's actually one of the reasons I ask someone to stay. I once sent everyone home and then one of the alarm panels went off after I was done arming the building (our alarm panel is right by the door so I can see inside). I was all by myself and had to wait for the PD to come and walk the building with me. Thankfully the people I have with closing with me most of the time know that I am neurotic AF because of it and willingly wait. But again, this is just so I can lap the building and check everything, if the closing TL in question is just sitting writing the email and doing other stuff, that's not okay. All you need is yourself and another TM tops. Just be sure the ones you are letting out are leaving together.

That being said, I do like to physically SEE the TMs walk out of the building, just for my own sanity knowing I didn't forget anyone.

All you need is yourself and another TM tops.
Yes! When we used to have a closing GSA and LOD, they would both be scheduled till 10:15 or 10:30 I can’t remember, but they would both stay until the building was secure and locked. It was also safer to do a building lap having two people, because the store was checked by two different sets of eyes.

We had one Sr TL that would do this all the time just to be a jerk. The team members started doing punch corrections with the reason for the correction and he started letting them leave. We also used to schedule a GSTL or GSA to stay until the LOD left but all that is gone now. They are scheduling the guest advocates out at store close. So far they are willingly staying, but... I’m sorry, but some of the changes up front are shady as heck.

In our store, one person is scheduled to stay with the Closing Lead. The rest of the team leaves in pairs or groups. I don’t see why you’d need to hold the entire closing team there—are you guys locked in or something?

Yes! When we used to have a closing GSA and LOD, they would both be scheduled till 10:15 or 10:30 I can’t remember, but they would both stay until the building was secure and locked. It was also safer to do a building lap having two people, because the store was checked by two different sets of eyes.

As I said in my last post I’m neurotic AF. The team has checks restrooms, coolers, fitting rooms but they know I’m going to check anyway because I have to physically see it. The second set of eyes is good though. Helps a lot.

The Inbound TL at my store gets there 30 mins before the rest of the team to set things up. Same for two other stores I've been to (back before Modernization). Do most stores not do that?
Truck thrower and GM1 TL arrive at the same time at my store

If you aren’t allowed to leave the building you 100% are still on the clock. That TL is uninformed or lying to you.

Call the hotline

Nope. Unless you are performing actual work do you have to be on the clock. This actually came up in a labor dispute against Amazon and Amazon won. At Amazon you have to go through TSA style security when you enter and leave for the day. They tried to say you have to be paid waiting to get out. Labor department ruled in favor of Amazon. It should be a courtesy to let the team out quickly but your not entitled to being paid for it.

Nope. Unless you are performing actual work do you have to be on the clock. This actually came up in a labor dispute against Amazon and Amazon won. At Amazon you have to go through TSA style security when you enter and leave for the day. They tried to say you have to be paid waiting to get out. Labor department ruled in favor of Amazon. It should be a courtesy to let the team out quickly but your not entitled to being paid for it.

They should have sued under common law torts:

False imprisonment:

(1) willful detention in a bounded area;
(2) without consent; and
(3) without authority of lawful arrest.(Restatement of the Law, Second, Torts)

Open and shut case really.

Reactions: PJ5

Yeah...Bezos likes paying people to wait in line as much as he likes paying them at all

The Inbound TL at my store gets there 30 mins before the rest of the team to set things up. Same for two other stores I've been to (back before Modernization). Do most stores not do that?
ASANTS, but that's more my personal feelings than an actual policy/practice. IMO at the very least, a member of AP should have to stay and close with leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back