Archived Co-worker comes to work reeking of alcohol. Would you go to management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would start by asking him if he had a little "sippy sip" before work or last night because you can smell it. Be nice about it, joke a little bit, but definitely do NOT over step. You're just asking him, you don't really care, that's how you wanna come off.

Other-wise I would start with talking to your team leader. If it's not overbearing I wouldn't, but if everyone else on your team says "yeah he fuckin STINKS" I would maybe bring it up to leadership... but I don't know. I had a co-worker yesterday actually tell me I stink like dirty clothes, but no one's ever told me that. I shower every other day after work, I do laundry once a week, sometimes twice, everything I was wearing was from my laundry load two days ago. I was really confused, so I decided to go around ask everyone myself if they've ever encountered any bad smells around me, all of them said no. I maybe asked twenty other TMs I see daily. A few of them decided to actually sniff me and said I smelled like I just came out of a dryer or that I had no smell at all.

But, this co-worker obviously smells something, so I gotta get behind it because he says I make him uncomfortable when I'm definitely not the kind of weirdo to just not shower ever. I even have a beard wash to clean my beard, that's extra hygiene care. I've come to the conclusion the coats we wear for the freezer smell like fucking ass and he wears once constantly. I'm also throwing my personal coat in my washer since I do sweat in it every once in a while and haven't washed that.

If it really bothers you a lot, I would just ask or just request you work different shifts from him.

I'd gossip with people but not complain to management unless a guest said something or they were using power equipment.

I smell it in his breath really bad. I don't drink so idk if that's apart of "sweating it out."

If he didn't brush his teeth the night before after drinking it's gonna stay in his breath. I think he just needs to brush his teeth and get some mouth wash.

Sometimes it's best to let someone know because maybe they do care about their personal hygiene, but just didn't realize there was a problem. I would be thankful, at least. I got told by only one co-worker I've smelled bad multiple times and realized I hadn't washed my coat in months. A coat I've sweat in many times. I just washed it and we'll see if it changes anything for him, but no one else has ever smelled anything from me, not even others in my department who I frequently get into close contact with stocking items next to them. I still think it's our frozen dairy coats he smells because our ETL doesn't wanna put them through his washer and getting them dry cleaned cost nearly $1000 last time he did.

Everyone's already said it, don't do anything about it, maybe just ask if he drank the night before, just be light about it. Nothing overbearing, don't over-step, don't assume anything. The reason why I got so concerned over me being told I have a weird odor is because he assumed I don't wear deodorant, I don't shower, I don't do laundry... all of which I do every day, except laundry, that's once or twice a week. He literally decided to tell me what deodorant and anti-perspirant was, which one he prefers, and how often I should wear it and I'm like "Wait, I don't remember saying I don't wear deodorant because I wear it every day, I put some on this morning. I just don't always put cologne on."

I'm more salty he thought I was some weirdo when I am definitely not. Just take it easy if you decide to ask, just leave it at whatever answer he says.

All you can do is have a witness to corroborate the smell of alcohol. If they are diabetic or borderline diabetic, alcohol can be pushed out of the skin.

As long as they are doing their job, and doing it safely, their is nothing else you can report.

They must come in drunk or be visible safety hazard. Your leadership might keep an eye on them.

Management has very limited options to deal with it. There has to be some pretty conclusive evidence that they are drunk (not hungover) or you risk discrimination issues.

OP never answered... is this alleged drunkard not performing their duties?

I gave up on telling hr about people being high or drunk. They always said that they can't do shit for stuff they do outside of work.

As it should be. I don’t see why someone self medicating before work would be any different than someone popping a handful of prescribed pills, so long as they still show up and do their job well. Not an issue unless they make it everyone else’s issue... mainly guests. Just don’t let the guests know about your breakfast beer.

As long as I do my job, keep your nose outta my Cheerios.

Piss off. I work at Target. Yeah, I drink lots of beer after work. Do I smell like it the next morning? Don't know. Don't care. I work at Target. Stuff kleenex up your nose if you don't like it.

Sometimes it's best to let someone know because maybe they do care about their personal hygiene, but just didn't realize there was a problem. I would be thankful, at least.
This x 100% . Add the human touch to your approaches people. We all have issues, some worst than others..

Breath mints, bitches.
drinkbeer.gif

They always said that they can't do shit for stuff they do outside of work.

I'm pretty sure it's in the handbook that you can't come to work drunk or high, but in this case it's hard to tell if he's been drinking or it's a last night thing. It does also address proper hygiene, and smelling like you spent the night in the drunk tank would likely violate that, even if you can't tell for sure if they're actively drunk.

Is this a back room TM or someone who has guest contact? I'd be more inclined to give someone a head's up if they have guest contact, because that's the kind of shit people take to social media and trash your store. It's not really hard for their boss/HR to say something to them like "Hey, not sure if you're aware, but you smell like you've been drinking. Not sure what's going on, but you need to not come to work smelling like that in the future or we'll have to send you home."

Heaven forbid if they smell like weed!

If it's just smell but he seems to be in control of himself, I'd maybe make a comment to him and drop it. If he's acting impaired, though, I'd mention it to my TL.

We used to have a flow TM who some TMs complained about because he would come in smelling of alcohol. It was apparent he had a problem. But the guy always showed up on time, did everything asked of him, offered to stay late whenever needed, and was friendly. They put up with it for quite a while, but he was eventually let go for it. I felt bad for him, and so did some other TMs. His drinking never really seemed to affect how he did his job or acted towards others. I guess he got some help for his drinking and found another job, so at least he's doing well.

What was he let go for? How did they phrase it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back