Coaching/Disciplining from the Cameras

starmaster1000

Master NCR Torture Device Operator
Often, I see replies where TMs will say that you cannot be coached or written up, or otherwise disciplined, from camera footage.

My question is... where does it say that?

If it’s written down somewhere it’s for those above my pay grade (former BRTL). I can tell you for a fact that our STL (SD now) coached off of the cameras because I saw it happen. Our ETL would have coached off the cameras for another incident, but the person’s face could not be clearly seen so she couldn’t tell who the guilty party was.

No.

Often, I see replies where TMs will say that you cannot be coached or written up, or otherwise disciplined, from camera footage.

My question is... where does it say that?
Technically you can not be coached off the camera , however the verbiage could be as “ you’ve been observed” doing or not doing such and such . And you wouldn’t know that you’ve been actually coached or the camera.

You're not supposed to be reviewing footage to randomly find something someone did wrong. You are however expected to be using footage to further investigate an observed behavior.

That being said I'd say the rumor that you can't be coached off of footage is mostly false.

Rest assured if a TL or ETL comes over to you while you're zoning or pushing and strikes up a work related conversation such as "leave your cardboard here...yada yada yada" they're greasing you up for a work over and ultimately will bone you both verbally and on paper. Be aware. Be smart. Be looking for another gig.

You can be coached by cameras. Say you left a boat in the fire lane. They go check who left it and then yell at you. Nothing wrong with that!

They are the AP Directives, they were leaked years ago and have been updated since then, it’s basically a list of things allowed and not allowed.

Ultimately, you can only be coached with the cameras based on AP related things (Security, Safety, Conduct) but not performance related stuff. If they coach for performance based on the cameras it’s a violation of these directives and they should get in trouble for it. However, they gave DTLs access to cameras ON THEIR PHONES, and they have no reason to actually have this. Most people that are willing to be a DTL are crazy, and there is no way they follow the rules and use them to spy on stores.

They are the AP Directives, they were leaked years ago and have been updated since then, it’s basically a list of things allowed and not allowed.

Ultimately, you can only be coached with the cameras based on AP related things (Security, Safety, Conduct) but not performance related stuff. If they coach for performance based on the cameras it’s a violation of these directives and they should get in trouble for it. However, they gave DTLs access to cameras ON THEIR PHONES, and they have no reason to actually have this. Most people that are willing to be a DTL are crazy, and there is no way they follow the rules and use them to spy on stores.
Id bet my bottom dollar that our SD has access to th cameras on her phone because when she's on vacation she'll call in and coach ETLs at my store about how the team is loafing and to check on those of us in the backroom to see if we're actually backstocking correctly 😂

The thing is they cant "tell" you its because they saw you on camera slacking or whatever. They can watch you then use thaf to nitlick eveey single thing your do until they can coach you or you quit. You can be coacheded oe put on CA foe camera relatee safety or theft. Like sitting in the fr for 30mins because your bored or something. That time clock theft and aps ballgame.

The thing is they cant "tell" you its because they saw you on camera slacking or whatever. They can watch you then use thaf to nitlick eveey single thing your do until they can coach you or you quit. You can be coacheded oe put on CA foe camera relatee safety or theft. Like sitting in the fr for 30mins because your bored or something. That time clock theft and aps ballgame.

yes because certain things are still considered conduct vs performance. They need to prove you were “loafing” which is a knowledgeable and generally repeated offense that purposely wastes time while being paid. For example, always hiding somewhere and watching YouTube in a backroom aisle everyday is loafing and conduct. Talking to a TM in Electronics too long once or twice is performance. Conduct can use cameras, performance cannot.

Time Clock fraud is lying about your punches. For example, a TM comes into work everyday at 8:07, walks up to time clock and sees they are late and doesn’t punch in, and later does a punch correction for 7:55. This is conduct and again ok for cameras to be used.

The lawsuit waiting to happen is a DTL pulling cameras of a store and talking to an STL or ETL about performance and not conduct. For example, pulling footage of the unload and using it against an ETL saying they did something wrong or doing too much work themselves (setting a SP themselves for example) is going to be a breach of directives. Now, if the DTL sees the ETL set the SP themselves, then on a visit asks questions to catch the ETL admitting to doing the work, then that is ok as long as they don’t mention the cameras.

Back