Archived Coachings/Corrective Actions discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I left my keys on the desk in the GE office. My ETL walks up to me with keys in hand, asks if they're mine and states that I'm never to be on the floor without my keys. OK, fine. Two hours later, I'm in the HR office, picking up an item I'd printed from the GE office and what do I see on the table in plain view, but a coaching from the ETL about my keys and me. I've never had a formal coaching before and I was a bit surprised to see that I got one without being told. And shouldn't it be confidential?

Or am I being too sensitive?

Coaching in our store is more punitive, used more as a means to get rid of team members than actual coaching/teaching.

Is your ge office secured? At my store, our ge is locked. Stay calm. You may want to ask hr off to the side first, tell them what you found. Your etl maybe thinking about giving you one. But, if you are a great gstl or GSA, they may throw it away.
Target Annie, any input?

I've locked my keys in the GE office several times. Only other GSTL keys and the LOD have access to it. Your ETL was probably just in a bad mood.

Talk to your HR about it.

Yes, our GE office is secure. While I don't see leaving my keys on the desk as a coach-able offense, if that's what he thinks, then I'm okay with it. But I sorta think I should be told that I've been written up and I was surprised to see the document on a table in clear view in a room that is accessible to any team member at any time. While it's connected to the HR office, it's a room which houses the primary printer for the store and computers for use by all team members.

This happened last week and I still haven't heard a peep from the ETL. If he just spaced it out, I don't want to go to HR to whine about the *****y ETL but on the other hand, if it's supposed to be confidential, perhaps I should say something.

Or maybe I should just get over it and do my freakin job. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
if your etl mentioned to you not to have your keys, then its done. he coached you. its not a big deal. its just documentation so if it happens again and again he can put you on CA. a coaching isnt something that pulls you off stage, and they dont have to specifically say "i am coaching you".

on the other hand, i would get the copy, go to my hr, and throw a hella fit. i've had that happen to me before. my etl left it out by the walkie cabinet in the tl office. i pulled him in with my hr and gave them both a good talking to and told them i was documenting the incident with both of them for my records.

Yes, our GE office is secure. While I don't see leaving my keys on the desk as a coach-able offense, if that's what he thinks, then I'm okay with it. But I sorta think I should be told that I've been written up and I was surprised to see the document on a table in clear view in a room that is accessible to any team member at any time. While it's connected to the HR office, it's a room which houses the primary printer for the store and computers for use by all team members.

This happened last week and I still haven't heard a peep from the ETL. If he just spaced it out, I don't want to go to HR to whine about the *****y ETL but on the other hand, if it's supposed to be confidential, perhaps I should say something.

Or maybe I should just get over it and do my freakin job. lol

What did the form say at the top? If it was a Corrective Action, then yes, you needed to be told explicitly that that's what it was. If it said "Performance Discussion Documentation" or "coaching" (depending on if the store has gotten on best practice or not), then no, the ETL doesn't have to tell you that they're documenting it. Any discussion at all can be considered an official coaching if the leader decides to document it as one. It's not a ding on your record or anything, it won't affect your ability to transfer/promote/whatever. They just have to have one or more of these PDDs on file for a given issue in order to establish a pattern of behavior before they can give you an actual Corrective Action for it (for minor offenses, anyway).

if your etl mentioned to you not to have your keys, then its done. he coached you. its not a big deal. its just documentation so if it happens again and again he can put you on CA. a coaching isnt something that pulls you off stage, and they dont have to specifically say "i am coaching you".
on the other hand, i would get the copy, go to my hr, and throw a hella fit. i've had that happen to me before. my etl left it out by the walkie cabinet in the tl office. i pulled him in with my hr and gave them both a good talking to and told them i was documenting the incident with both of them for my records.
I love your payback!

What did the form say at the top? If it was a Corrective Action, then yes, you needed to be told explicitly that that's what it was. If it said "Performance Discussion Documentation" or "coaching" (depending on if the store has gotten on best practice or not), then no, the ETL doesn't have to tell you that they're documenting it. Any discussion at all can be considered an official coaching if the leader decides to document it as one. It's not a ding on your record or anything, it won't affect your ability to transfer/promote/whatever. They just have to have one or more of these PDDs on file for a given issue in order to establish a pattern of behavior before they can give you an actual Corrective Action for it (for minor offenses, anyway).
Another great answer!

Thanks for the great feedback! Wish I'd gone to HR when I saw it on the table but it's over. I'll just keep an eye on him from now on out. ;)

For an actual coaching the leader should be using the DESC model - Describe what the issue was, Express the impact it had, State the expectations going forward, Communicate the consequences. I may be off with the definitions for that but you want to make sure you cover all of the points. There should be no question as to whether or not it's an actual coaching though you do not have to say this is a coaching. You should also ask how you can help them, what you can do to help them succeed, etc. There is a coaching form to fill out that has those 4 sections (which includes the TMs response) in addition to a place to list action items. This is a confidential paper and if it was left out your relationship with your ETL should determine your actions. I have had ETL's where I would talk to them about it and trust it wouldn't happen again and I've had crap ETL's where I would have snatched that paper so fast and went straight up the line to make sure something was done about the confidentiality issues.

If it wasn't an actual coaching and more of an on the spot coaching or seek to understand type conversation then they may have just been typing it up to keep track for their personal records. Even if this is the case the paper should not have been left out. This probably isn't the case because that would have been saved to mysite and not printed. The printed copy will go in the binder and HR will enter it into the system. I think it was more of a coaching for you to be prepared with all tools, etc. as opposed to a safe and secure type coaching (which could have went straight to a final depending upon your store).

I do not think I would press the issues with keys as that's the easiest and dumbest way to get fired. Oh you handed the baler key to someone to crush boxes? Come sign this! You passed off your electronics keys without walking to the book to sign them back in? Come sign this! Oh you found my keys that I have been looking for all over the store for the last 3 hours? Thanks but come sign this anyway for general purposes.

Another great answer! Of course, my store doesnt use this term, desc. But, we do use the form. Thanks again for the easier understanding.

Last edited:
It really depends on the incident and the district, but three times usually is enough. The problem is the HRBP has a big hand in most of the counselings and a lot of times will disapprove the counselling if its not something they seems worthy of going on corrective action, even though it's happen multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back