Coachings for G.U.E.S.T.

There must be some studies somewhere that suggest that shoppers want this attention, but I'm here to say that those studies are flawed.

Actually, there are studies out there that show the opposite.

The requirement to know and push at minimum 3 different promotions and push at least one to every guest as they enter the store as they are greeted with a smize. Guests are clearly annoyed, particularly if they are return shoppers.

This kind of shit will drive shoppers away. Literally people will turn on their heels and walk out if forced to listen to a 20 second Target commercial every time they enter the store. And do the people that make the rules only ever see small format stores? At my store there is often more than one guest (or group of guests) coming in at a time so there's no way the cleaner could pitch promotions to everyone.

Better to just have a video screen posted running a list of promotions so people can peruse at their leisure and leave them to the clean the carts. Saying hello or welcome to people coming in is one thing, but doing that and then having every single TM they encounter do the same would be maddening.

People are probably just fine with a hi or a head nod if you make eye contact, but I certainly don't want everyone in the store saying, "do you need help finding anything"
I've been nearly driven out of Ulta and Bath & Body Works because of this.

Exactly!!! GUEST has been a huge emphasis for our cart cleaner and TSS to the point that it is literally a job interference. The requirement to know and push at minimum 3 different promotions and push at least one to every guest as they enter the store as they are greeted with a smize. Guests are clearly annoyed, particularly if they are return shoppers. The U in GUEST is for "understand"... allow the tm to assess whether or not the guest wants to be approached! I've heard the SETL criticize the cleaner because they weren't "seen talking to the guest", but the SETL was at SCO. They are handing out "scripts" for what is literally a maximum of 20 second encounter. It's getting out of hand. So far, other tm's throughout the store do not have these expectations, but it's probably coming. If nothing else, they'll get their turn when the cleaners and TSS quit because they are being tormented over this and someone else gets scheduled to cover those shifts. The cleaners have already begun to call in more frequently.
none of this is GUEST, this is your store being run by psychopaths

I work while at work. If I stopped to greet every guest I saw I'd do nothing but. If a guest asks me for help, I'll help them, otherwise I'm going to leave them alone to do their thing.

What I find interesting is that I have had a few mask schedules both with and without the GUEST promo conversation. A "hello" or "hi" could start a conversation that led to sales. The sales pitch leads to a "thanks" and they move on.... or they just quickly move on.

Back