Archived College grad internal hire ETL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Marley

Team Member
I know generally Target prefers to hire ETLs straight out of college over internals, but would they hire you if you've been working for them while in college? I'm asking since I'm graduating in a couple years, and I'll have been with spot for 4 years at that point. I'm pretty popular with the ETLs and STL at my store, though I don't know if that matters or not.

I just don't know if they would see it as a positive or a negative that I already know most of the basics of how Target works.

Can anyone from HR or who's dealt with corporate speak on this?

Its not impossible but a tm who gets a degree is not suddenly eligible to become an etl that's not how it works.

You generally have to climb from tm to tl to senior to etl. Because the leadership at your store today will likely be completely different in 3 years it's hard to say where you will be at that point.

Your best bet would be the executive intern program. Talk to your etl about it and see if you can get in that way. Its really the only quick path from tm to etl.

The reason out of college ETLs get hired is they are typically found by a recruiter who puts them through business college which is a completely different hiring process than being promoted through the store.

You generally have to climb from tm to tl to senior to etl. Because the leadership at your store today will likely be completely different in 3 years it's hard to say where you will be at that point.
+1 on that

Had a Sr. PPTL at my store who had worked his way up from TM while going to college. He was promoted to ETL shortly after graduating.

We have recently started seeing OM or gl getting hired without degrees based on experience in a similar field or leadership/management position. We have one currently I know of and a senior om with no degree as well . Also recently they have started promoting from within the company

The other option is to leave Target to another company and then come reapply back. External experience on top of previous experience can give you more leverage to position and pay. It's risky of course, but it might be worth it for those who see stagnant movement in their store or district.

I've a supervisor that did that she was in the D.C. As a team member then took a job at the store for years left went to tj max then came back with a promotion and then moved back to the D.C. For another promotion.

The other option is to leave Target to another company and then come reapply back. External experience on top of previous experience can give you more leverage to position and pay. It's risky of course, but it might be worth it for those who see stagnant movement in their store or district.
If you really want to be an ETL, this might actually be the more sound advice if your district is more common.

Believe it or not but external hires cost the company a lot less time than an internal because they make it such an involved process promoting internal ETLs due to how much studying they do on you in leadership roles and checking on how you're progressing.
Now - this is also why the internal hires generally work out better than the external. You're already accustomed to the basic practices and the sometimes chaotic nature of the business. You aren't hit by shock as bad when dropped into your full role after completeing "business college". So in the end, internals probably end up costing the company less since in my experience they are more like to succeed.

There's a lot less red tape and attention required by upper management with external hires. Since the external hire is hired over 2-4 interviews in less than a month's time usually and boom they're right in business college and an ETL. There's about 2-4 more stages that go on before an internal TM promotes to ETL.

Now that said - this is all me assuming a fairly typical environment. In my district my DTL and the leadership teams love internal promotions for the right people and w ill fast track you if you're amazing and passionate about what you're doing. A girl who was a TM at my store for 6 months and then graduated with her BA in Communication, super sweet and a super great worker and leader even as a TM but not in a bad way. Always dominated her workcenter. We promoted her to TL at request of our STL/DTL even though we didn't have a free TL allocated spot. She absolutely excelled at it and within 3 months we made her an SrTL as our DTL/STL wanted to see her in an LOD role. It's 6 months later now and she's still completely killing it and traveling to support a red store for most her shifts and she is killing it there too and really turning around their logistics process with only being 3-4 days a week. She is now on the bench set to take the ETL-Salesfloor at my current store as ours is leaving in December due to promoting to an STL.

That all said - THAT is being fast tracked as an internal. From the time she graduated and began developing to become an ETL, it took her 9 months. By the time she actually assumes her ETL role, it'll be right at a year. That's a fast track. If you hire externally as an ETL, it's 2-3 weeks with 2-4 interviews, and a month of training. So you spend about 1-2 months max becoming an in-role ETL vs the 12 months it's taking our fast tracked TM-ETL. A lot of internal ETL promotions will take longer. I've heard of other districts that want a minimum of 1-2 years in the TL/SRTL role before considering bumping.

I know generally Target prefers to hire ETLs straight out of college over internals, but would they hire you if you've been working for them while in college?

Yes, it is possible to get hired if you've been working for them while in college. I know a TM from a different store who was accepted into the internship program the summer before she graduated. She did well so they offered her the chance to go through Target's business college as an EIT once she graduated. During her last college year, she performed SrTL duties at work. Once she graduated, she became an EIT. Once an ETL position was available, she became an official ETL.

I'm pretty popular with the ETLs and STL at my store, though I don't know if that matters or not.

This can be helpful if they are the type that would be willing to recommend you. To become an intern or EIT, you must pass the interviews done by STLs and the DTL.

Its not impossible but a tm who gets a degree is not suddenly eligible to become an etl that's not how it works.

Your best bet would be the executive intern program. Talk to your etl about it and see if you can get in that way. Its really the only quick path from tm to etl.

The reason out of college ETLs get hired is they are typically found by a recruiter who puts them through business college which is a completely different hiring process than being promoted through the store.

It is much different as being a TM and getting promoted in Target, requires proof of hard work, that benefits the company, for a sustained period.

ETL-IT (In Training) however, means you go to "Target-School" where you get less training than a 3 year TL (Literally working for target, whether tl or not for 3 years). If you pass, congratulations, the world generally finds you an attractive looking person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back