Archived Coming into Target as ETL-HR - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm brand-new to target, coming in as an ETL-HR. I'm still in training, with a couple weeks left before I'm put in my home store. I'm really interested in getting some advice from all of you on the best way to approach this new role. Having read through the forums a little bit, I can see a lot of people have gotten incredibly upset with their ETL-HRs (or just leadership in general), and I want to do my best to avoid some of those mistakes.

All that being said, please share any words of wisdom you might have - thanks!

First of all , welcome to both the site and to Spot. The advice that I would give to you is pretty simple. Treat your team with respect a large part of your success or failure lies with them. Don't treat someone differently simply because they don't have a position within Spot. Don't get involved in workplace politics. You will find ( most of the time ) that if you treat your team with respect that's what you will get in return. If someone comes to you with an issue, listen and only repeat what you have to , to make the situation better. Listen to a your team... find out what works and doesn't work what they like and don't like. Treat your team the way you would like someone to treat a member of your family. Be genuine, most people and spot a phony and a fake a mile away. Lastly, have fun and don't be afraid to laugh at yourself .

Welcome! Try to absorb all the information you can and try not to get overwhelmed when you don't know something, just problem solve etc.

Welcome to The Break Room.

I'd say you are one step ahead of most just by asking for suggestions.
Far too many folks go in thinking they've got it all in hand.

I'm going to do a short version of something I said to the HR-ETL at my store, hoping that you will take it better than she did.

You are going to have people working for you that come from all walks of life.
There could easily be a man with a college degree stocking your shelves, a woman who owned her own business in softlines, a transitioning woman on cash register, the old guy in the break room may have fought in Viet Nam, retired, and is working for the fun of it, you might have a former gang member who is taking care of the kids who he left the gang for, or a man who had to leave his country one step ahead of a government that wanted to kill him.
You can't treat them all the same, you can't talk down to them and no matter what you get from above, you need to need to treat them with dignity and respect.
Don't think they are stupid, lazy, or children no matter how much of that you might get from the other ETLs.
I know that HR is really not on the employees side, it's really there to protect the company, but every once in while see what you can do about putting the employees first.

Maybe you can see why she didn't care for me so much.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm brand-new to target, coming in as an ETL-HR. I'm still in training, with a couple weeks left before I'm put in my home store. I'm really interested in getting some advice from all of you on the best way to approach this new role. Having read through the forums a little bit, I can see a lot of people have gotten incredibly upset with their ETL-HRs (or just leadership in general), and I want to do my best to avoid some of those mistakes.

Prepare for the worst. Also the ETL-HR is the number one position to get the hotline called on you.

as an etl I would say definitely dig in with the team. work pulls, returns, zone, 4x4. get your HRTL or HRTMs out there with you and them. be available. figure out who your go-to leaders are going to be and build an amazing trust bond with them. be on your stl's good side. LISTEN. listen and listen some more

edit: also, nail your routines early. you'll hear that a lot if you have not yet. be prepared to go o/n with the log team on occassion or 4ams. pray your store is not a best team survey focus store as well. if it is and you turn it around you will be held in very high regards and it will be easier to promote if that is what you want to do

Thank you all for the info so far! I especially enjoyed the link - lots of it felt... oddly similar to my own experience so far. ;)

Maybe you can see why she didn't care for me so much.

I believe everything you said is perfectly reasonable and honest. Although that may be enough to push some people over the edge I imagine, which, unfortunately, sounds like was the case for her. I really appreciate you sharing your insight.

edit: also, nail your routines early. you'll hear that a lot if you have not yet. be prepared to go o/n with the log team on occassion or 4ams. pray your store is not a best team survey focus store as well. if it is and you turn it around you will be held in very high regards and it will be easier to promote if that is what you want to do

I'm pretty sure my home store is a best team survey focus store. I also had a chance to glance at last year's survey and it was...sad how low scores became. I imagine this tends to happen when you cut/demote half your leaders and even more of your TMs, as was the case with this store...

Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback so far! If anything else comes to mind, feel free to add on later.

A lot of great advice was given. I have grown to love my HR. At first we clashed a bit, I went and spoke to her and it's been great ever since. I love etls that have a sense of humor, encourage us to work harder and will pitch in when needed. If she sees that it's chaotic on the floor, she'll jump in and zone.

Now and again she'll give us little tokens for appreciation. She's been one person that makes it clear she's there to talk if anyone has any type of issues. So basically, try to relate with your team and work with them. It makes work actually fun that way.

I think yours is the most difficult ETL position. You have to gain the trust of all the TMs and TLs so that they have someone to talk with when they feel as though they've hit a dead end with their TL or ETL; yet you have to follow and encourage Target Best Policy. In lower volume stores, you have to work pulls, set POGs, oversee the scheduling, do all the incredible volume of paperwork and have time to chat with TMs anytime they want. For some reason, it seems as though the ETL HR is besties with the STL but has to appear to be besties with the Team. Tough call, right?

It's also the best position from which to jump to a normal 8-5, M-F HR job in a national corporation. Target trains you well and prepares you for a bright future.

Congrats and good luck!

As an HRTM, my advice would be to partner with your HRTM as much as possible. They'll end up saving you a lot of embarrassment and frustration down the road.

Oh yes. We will be attached to the hip for quite a while, I'm sure.

Thank you again for all the feedback! Once I've finished up with training, I'm sure I'll have more specific questions.

Biggest complaints I heard when I was still with the company was that the HR-ETL spent way too much time in the office.

This is going to sound really simplistic but I swear its important.If you are in your office, keep your door open with the desk facing the door. Get a candy jar and set it on a table. As team members walk by say "hello". The team will know that you are approachable and someone they can come to for anything. The candy will get them to step in and say hello.
You will have some ETLS that are striving to move up within Target and they will try to tell you how to do your job. While their input can be helpful you need to establish that you are the ETLHR. Usually it takes less than a week to see their true colors.
Be consistent! Follow through with what you promise!
Find a mentor as soon as possible. When the big 3 (review season, opinion survey time and seasonal hiring) come around its vital to have someone who has gone through it before give you some hints that roll out communication just doesn't cover.
Get use to the phrases "we have always done it this way" " When are the hours going to get better"
Welcome and good luck!

Hey everyone,

I just started getting a handle on the scheduling system Target uses, and I can already see that payroll is a common issue that many stores face. Does anyone have any creative solutions to working with the increasingly small pool of hours given, or perhaps ways to communicate this to the team in a way that doesn't devastate morale? I have access to a requisition account and P card, if anyone has some fun activities in mind to help keep spirits up (minus Thirsty Thursday's ;)).

Thanks in advance for the continuing advice.

Free food is always going to be a safe bet.
And figuring out ways to spread it out so that all the shifts get some is also appreciated (flow team has been compared to swarm of locusts).

Creature comforts like coffee makers in the break room are popular (though that cuts down the profit margin for the FA so you might not be popular with the TL there).

Consider that a lot of the people are living on the edge.
Not having to spend money for lunch is going to make a difference to them.
Their lunch could be a half hours work or more.

Hello everyone,

This is long; however, it is very important that you understand these things. What Target, and every corporation needs is LEADERSHIP. Anyone can manage; however, it takes effort, skills, and competence to become a true leader. Many view management and leadership as two different concepts; I view leadership as an encompassing concept. In other words, one will exhibit excellence in management THROUGH one's excellence in leadership. My expectations for all leaders include, but are not limited to: influencing, directing, motivating, production, training, learning, competence, mobilizing, empowerment, and winning with people, and winning at the workplace. Always remember, the position does NOT make the leader; the leader makes the position. I have been in leadership roles for a few years now, and I have learned many lessons along the way. The trouble is, many of the ETL's are hired out of college, and really have no idea how to lead. Anyone can go through the six-month training and regurgitate what they have learned. Do not go on a power-trip; this screams "Insecurity" and no one will respect you. In fact, do the opposite, for when one gains a leadership position, one forfeits the right to abuse people.

The number one rule; leadership is influence, nothing more, nothing less. Because you have a title, people will follow you because they have to, otherwise, their job may be in jeopardy, as you will have the authority to terminate if appropriate. However, true influence is the ability to influence others with or without your position. At the positional level of influence, your team members will give you the very least amount of effort; you will get some who are self-motivated, and will give you effort, regardless of your leadership ability, but the majority will give you less than optimal effort. In other words, they will give you just enough to not get fired. You have to connect with your team; you should know almost everyone by name, and you must be able to relate them on a personal level. NO ONE CARES HOW MUCH YOU KNOW UNTIL THEY KNOW HOW MUCH YOU CARE! They will have to first, buy-in to YOU, then, they will buy-in to your vision. You must take a genuine interest in your team members, and be truly concerned with their thoughts and concerns. With experience, you will be able to discern extraneous needs, and legitimate needs. Only at this level will you get the maximum effort from your team.

The most important thing for a leader is to understand the law of the picture. People will do what they see; you MUST lead by example. You must be professional, cordial, and competent at all times. You will be very observant of your team members; however, understand, that the team members are watching you even more closely. If you make a mistake, admit it; no one is perfect, and you will lose respect if you do not "lead yourself" before leading others. You need to understand the job, and you need to work beside your team members. If you set a great example of great work ethic, the team will respond in kind.

One who fails to lead by example will not only lose respect, but lose the trust of their team. Trust is the FOUNDATION of leadership. Do not lie; do not bully; follow through on your promises, and show that you are trustworthy. Do not lie about anything, for a leader who lies is a paradox; a leader who lies is no leader at all; this will be clear in both title and in influence. If your team has found out that you have lied, or have committed similar hard-to-forgive sins, then they will not trust you; why should they? Do not be a toxic leader, for it will have harmful and even fatal effects on your position. My boss at a previous job had these traits, and they lost many excellent workers. As I stated previously, if you make a mistake, admit it; people will still trust someone who has made a mistake, especially if they have exhibited excellence in leadership (just don't make too many; all leaders have a certain amount of "equity").

Direction and motivation is a key, as your ability to ensure optimal performance from your team will determine your success as a leader at Target and beyond. Be sure to be excellent in communicating with your team; you need to communicate your expectations, and any needs for change. You need to give both positive and constructive feedback. Your team huddles should be positive, informative, and if any criticism is necessary, be sure to offer solutions to the issues; do not take these huddles lightly. If you have a need to confront a team member, DO NOT berate them in front of anyone else; offer ONLY constructive criticism, and do not do so in anger. As I stated, a leader loses the right to abuse people. The higher up you go, the more you will have to sacrifice. Moreover, do not whine about having to confront; gossip is unacceptable, and should be grounds for termination, especially for a leader. Set short-term and long-term goals for your team; reward those who meet these goals. Constantly berating for never being efficient enough will not get your team to work more efficiently. You have to ensure that the morale of the team is at an optimal level. Only then will your team operate smoothly.

Another important part of leadership is to empower your team. Reward those by cross-training; reward those with promotions. Only the truly secure leaders are able to give power to others. Do not squash your most talented people. Cross-training creates a WIN-WIN-WIN environment; this is what I mean by creating a winning atmosphere. You win by having a productive employee who is eager to learn, and perform at optimal levels at all times. The employee wins by becoming empowered, and this employee will receive more hours as they will be coveted in certain situations. Lastly, this benefits the Team from a wholistic standpoint; some work centers will need more help than others at certain points. Furthermore, you MUST encourage free-thought; people do not want to treated as programmed robots. As a leader, I REQUIRE free-thought; there is nothing worse than having to "hold someone's hand". Give direction, but find the balance. Showing belief in your team will encourage free-thought, and will create momentum for your team.

However, you must train as well; do not be lazy about it. poorly trained employees are not happy, and they are not productive. It makes no sense to not train an employee, in whom you invested money, time, and resources. Poor training will reflect badly on the leader (aka, you). Do not micro-manage; this will only hinder your team (there are times, especially in the training process, where micro-management may be necessary, but as a general rule, DO NOT micro-manage). Working for a micro-manager is highly unpleasant, and is a waste of time and resources. It's another way of screaming "Insecurity". In addition, you must foster an ever-learning environment; you need to always be improving and learning. You need to be open to other ideas. As the saying goes "two sets of eyes are better than one". Becoming an excellent leader is an ongoing process (I am working on it too; I'm not perfect, but I strive for excellence every day).

As a leader, you need to find ways to create momentum; momentum will solve the majority of the problems that your team may encounter. With momentum, many obstacles will become nothing more than a bump in the road. Creating a fast-fun-friendly environment will cultivate this momentum, along with production, competence, and sound decision making.

Although you will not be able to control this (but this is for Target and any corporation who desires optimal performance), but promoting from within is paramount; hiring leaders who have zero background is unacceptable and is not conducive to a Fast, Fun, and Friendly atmosphere; it is not conducive to optimal production. Reward those who show up to work and display a good work ethic. If you are short on hours, allocate the hours in such a way, that it reflects that more productive and reliable employees will receive the lion's share of the hours. The raises need to reflect productivity; 25 cent raises for people who work well is almost a slap in the face. 25 cent yearly raises are acceptable, but MERIT raises should be common. If I had it my way, I would give merit raises out often; however, I would also take back raises for those who slack off (merit raises only); this will motivate those who received merit raises to maintain their level of productivity, or even increase it (professional athletes often decline in productivity after a raise, or a large contract).

As you know, a leader will not always be popular, for they have the responsibility to make somewhat unpopular decisions. Sometimes, change is unpopular, but necessary. Sometimes, a team member may commit an offense wherein automatic termination will be appropriate. However, using disciplinary action and termination should be used sparingly. Some team members will not buy-in, no matter how hard you try. You do not need to be overly concerned if a small faction of people do not like you; you NEED to be concerned if people do not RESPECT you. Understand your duties; understand your employees; understand the culture, and always find ways to increase the knowledge of not only yourself, but your entire team. Take a big-picture approach, while paying attention to details. I hope that this helps.

ALSO REMEMBER:

The Golden Rule States: "Treat others the way YOU want to be treated"
The Platinum Rule State: "Treat others the way THEY want to be treated"

Last edited:
That was an incredible read. Thank you so much for sharing that with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back