Archived Companywide outage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am speedily concluding that the time to cut our losses, turn in our badges, dump our stock and dip, dust, bug out, scram, blow, and vamoose draws ever nearer by the day. For me the mere fact that we're even discussing what Target should be doing to ensure that it can take people's money is a great big galaxy sized red flag as to where the company is being steered by those who do the steering. I really wanted to hold out for as long as I could, but I'd say this may have backed up my end date by a few months. If I'm sipping champagne in the Great Lounge and it begins to tilt sideways and fill with seawater, it seems as good as any time to skedaddle!

50 bucks says some/a lot of stores might add hours to recover inventory numbers but then at the end of the month they'll take it back and give everyone 4 hour weeks, or my name isn't Graham Wellington III
The generic email from Janna Potts to all TMs with email today said stores will receive payroll to recover from this weekends incident so supposedly the opposite

Maybe we can all get new registers now. My store was told we were finally getting new computers and getting rid of the Dino’s from the 80’s but all we got were the monitors.... they look prettier but they are still just as dumb and slow as they were before 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏽‍♂️

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Day after a nationwide register outage, Target's tech troubles continue on a smaller scale

Last nationwide register outage at Target was 5 years to the day ago?

My paranoid mind is thinking of all those computer viruses years ago that would not activate when loaded but instead activate on a certain day/time interval.

Michelangelo virus in the 90’s.

Heh. My mom got the ILOVEYOU worm from a spam email and it deleted all her documents and photos and replaced them with .vbs files. She was pretty mad and wouldn't let me touch the computer for like 3 months even after she had it wiped, so me being a petty 12 year old at the time figured out a way to exact revenge for this injustice with my plasma globe from RadioShack. It just so happened to emit a frequency that could jam cordless phone signals, and I would just so happen to turn it on whenever she got a phone call so she'd have to yell over the static. I confessed years later and she can remember neither dealing with the virus nor the signal-jamming, lmao

I almost had the Happy99 worm. My mailing group at the time were deliberately passing it along because of the cute animation but my email provider was plain text only. I saw all the text at the bottom that I guess was the program, but it could do nothing through plain text.

There was a virus I did get, I found only because I was trying to download a huge file to some 3.5 floppies. Most could just barely hold the file, a few didn't, and there was no obvious reason for the difference, which got me really looking over those discs carefully. I don't remember the name, but it was just a file that automatically copied itself from floppies to PC and back to floppies that said some woman was a bitch.

There is almost always one or two of the Mycheckout machines that are not working at my store. Seems to be a different one everyday. Not sure what that is about, but it has been going on for awhile.

yeah, our mycheckouts were being bad today. somedays we don’t use them that much, but today it was like every other guest wanted to do an online order. one woman could not understand that it was just down. “well, get me someone who can do it for me.” i was like i’m so sorry, but it’s not a me thing... it’s a system issue. normally i’d happily be able to order it for you.

hopefully, it’s back up soon. i’m tired.

I wish ours were down. Mycheckouts take forever and the service desk backs up to the lanes whenever we get one. Not really worth it to order Karen a different color of sheets a couple of times a day.

I wish ours were down. Mycheckouts take forever and the service desk backs up to the lanes whenever we get one. Not really worth it to order Karen a different color of sheets a couple of times a day.
And you better home you don’t accidentally hit the home button otherwise it’s start all over!!!!

I accidentally did it one time when I flipped it over to have the guest insert their card and I almost threw it out the window lol

HAHA! My store is having to cut major hours and we were above goal until last weeks outage.
So the way it works is you get flex hours based of your project sales you’ve done so far. Half of those hours lock in half way through the month so you can’t lose them no matter how you do the second half of the month. The lock in day this month was on the Saturday of the issue. Most stores lost their flex hours because of this. My store for example lost 300 hours we were expecting. Because of this issue they retroactively locked in flex on the Friday before instead giving all the stores backnthe hours they would have earned had it not been for the issue. On top of that every store received 30 hours to compensate for the time wasted managing the issue with extra reshop, front end staffing and such. No store should be blaming the issue on hour cutting. If any store is cutting hours due to this they are lying to you.

So the way it works is you get flex hours based of your project sales you’ve done so far. Half of those hours lock in half way through the month so you can’t lose them no matter how you do the second half of the month. The lock in day this month was on the Saturday of the issue. Most stores lost their flex hours because of this. My store for example lost 300 hours we were expecting. Because of this issue they retroactively locked in flex on the Friday before instead giving all the stores backnthe hours they would have earned had it not been for the issue. On top of that every store received 30 hours to compensate for the time wasted managing the issue with extra reshop, front end staffing and such. No store should be blaming the issue on hour cutting. If any store is cutting hours due to this they are lying to you.
So, your store lost those 300 hours? I would say ours lost about the same and they had to cut accordingly,

I'm sure it was a problem happening at NRC. However, they handle transactions for thousands of companies and, as far as anyone is saying, Target was the only retailer who had problems? I have a feeling that the cause of NCR's problem was data sent to them by Spot. So, it actually is Target's problem. NRC will be willing to take the flack for Sunday because they will want to keep a client like Target happy.

It could be, but NRC certainly doesn't provide out-of-the-box solutions. I don't know NRC, specifically, but my day job company is big enough to have vendors with custom solutions and they are that--custom software, APIs, data centers, dedicated hardware (or whatever is in the spec) and if they, say, had a problem with their servers or something it could have caused the failure. My day job had a massive failure due to server problems that took critical applications offline for 7 hours, and we're not a small company, either, so you really never know. If Target expected NRC to have the proper DR procedures and they didn't, well, NRC will be owing Target lots and lots and LOTS of money.

I work with tech a lot at my day job, so I have enormous sympathy for @taytay and the other engineers, as no matter the root cause this type of thing is everyone's worst nightmare.

We seemed to end up relatively unscathed. We ended up 25% below plan on Saturday. On Sunday we only had a brief outage with the card readers, but most in the store didn't notice. By midweek everything was looking normal.

We seemed to end up relatively unscathed. We ended up 25% below plan on Saturday. On Sunday we only had a brief outage with the card readers, but most in the store didn't notice. By midweek everything was looking normal.

I don't know how, but we still went over forecast on Saturday 🤷🏻‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back