Archived Complicated situation and some questions (Transferring to other work centers etc..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super

I can haz pda?
Heyo,

Here is my situation I've been with spot for about 2 months almost (60 Days) and Well I was hired for Electronics (1-2 shifts of Electronics a week and sometimes none) but primarily do Cashier and very rarely Sales Floor shifts (mainly only call-ins) when I'm needed those are all my 3 trained workcenters. I have of for awhile started to think Cashiering isn't for me mainly because I'm an Introvert and now that cashier shifts are being really stacked on I feel overwhelmed.

Like someone else on here in another thread about Introverts in retail I can be extrovert but it tires me out alot quicker, I do however not have a problem with helping guests find things and talking to them but at the front lanes its too much in too little time and honestly my feet like moving around lol and I'm a quiet person and only tend to tell/ask the guests things that they may require and red cards and I can't really do small talk and "engage" actively with the guests. One on one with the guests in Electronics or other areas I'm happy and bright and help them quite well and I have time to "recharge" after helping them so to speak. I'm afraid that this Introversion may come across as rudeness or something toward the guest and that's when I realized I may not be a good fit for front lanes. I provide good customer service but at a one on one tempo. My red card count isn't great either and I ask but still go dry most weeks

Now I've been watching the open positions recently on the board and saw a "Backroom Day TM" position that has been up there for a month or more and I've been wondering if I could Transfer or apply within for that and just do primarily Backroom or Backroom/Electronics etc or just be moved off cashiering cause I'm very happy to help anywhere else in the store.

What would be the process of who to talk to/do for this kind of thing? If I have any more questions I'll ask as I reply

Thanks for answering TBR :)

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to master your current work center. Learn all functions for it. Get pass your 90 days first. If you show imitative, ask questions, take on more responsibility, great g e/vibe, never call out, your tl or etl will notice you. By standing out of the crowd of seasonals, spot will notice. You seem to be learning well, so far. Keep us up to date on your status.

My suggestion would be to master your current work center. Learn all functions for it. Get pass your 90 days first. If you show imitative, ask questions, take on more responsibility, great g e/vibe, never call out, your tl or etl will notice you. By standing out of the crowd of seasonals, spot will notice. You seem to be learning well, so far. Keep us up to date on your status.

I can't really master the Electronics workcenter...If I'm not in it enough even though it's my "Primary" Workcenter :( I've pretty much grasped a majority of Cashier functions there's not a thing I don't think I can't do on the register

That's one of the problems here.

Thats pretty odd, if you were hired as Electronics/Salesfloor, a majority of your shifts should be in Electronics or on the Salesfloor. When you did your hiring papers or on your pay check what did/does it say? Because if you were hired for Electronics, you should sign your core rules for Electronics and your Performance Review is conducted by that TL.

The only thing I can think of is that your store puts TMs on probationary status at the Front.

I would ask the ETL-HR, ETL-GS, and ETL-HL whats going on with your schedule because you were under the assumption that you would be working Electronics.

I just wanted to say that I understand. I am an introvert, and I can do about one cashier shift a week without needing some serious down time. I am not as interactive as some of our other cashiers...I just can't do it. Luckily I'm super fast, so I think most guests appreciate what I make up for in lack of talking to getting them the heck out of there. I do admire those who can do it, though. It just isn't for all of us.

@BullSBI: I know right? Its really weird. My position papers and paycheck say Electronics TM...even when I was done with training weeks I never went there. I was told I would be put in there permanently and just that when I achieved Green Conversion later on but when I did nothing happened only one tiny little shift more popped up on schedule.

@Retail Girl: Precisely. That's how I feel And thanks for understanding :)

Update: Well the following day after posting this thread I speaked with my ETL-HR and asked her about cross-training into other areas and when she asked what area I am interested in I stated Backroom and she said that my ETL-HL had gone home for the night and she would tell him about it tomorrow. I don't know if he got it or not but whenever I can speak to him I'm going to followup with it

I'm an efficient person and love multi-tasking and don't mind having a fast paced environment I also catch on fast too I think I would be a good fit for backroom to be honest but I noticed Electronics TM is higher paygrade than BR TM and I'm sure it's nice to have Electronic TM's trained and certified in backroom. I also want something new to learn as well and I love to learn

One step at a time though but any feedback or help is appreciated :)

On a side note, I love learning new things so much I wish I could cross-train into every single workcenter in the store (Besides Starbucks cause of the certification stuff and the coffee smell)

Getting back room certified is a great thing. Higher training meter for you. Keep on asking & willingness to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back