Archived Concealed Carry at Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they get terminated if they were leaving the weapon in the car?
Or was the parking lot Target property so they could use that against them?
Because if it was part of a mall than it would be the landlords policy and Spot would have no say.
Store management considered the parking lot as part of Target property. STL and ETL-HRs have stated in orientations and huddles no to even bring a firearm. They may use that as an excuse but they have announced to all TMs so we took it as policy.

We had guests make comments to Guest Service and management say they saw a suspicious character or a TM getting a gun out of their car. It ended up being a toy gun.

One of my stores is within a easy drive to a couple pawn shops and a big outfitter hunting store so it would be easy for team members to pickup a firearm or ammo on their lunch, or go hunting in the mountains after work.

As a 3-year AP TM, I can tell you that in a worst-case scenario, I'm locking myself in the office. What can I do? Throw my mini-Maglite at someone? As long as you're trained, level headed, and EXTREMELY safe about having it, I wouldn't mind.

That being said, don't tell a soul in your store. Spots are gossip factories. Also, if someone wants to rob the place, let them. Don't pull your gun if someone wants to steal money, even if they're waving a gun around. Now, if you have an Aurora/VT/Newtown situation, by all means, waste the guy; but don't do it for some cash/merchandise. Most robberies involving weapons are not escalated by the robber, but the actions of those being robbed.

Also, the above TMs are right, gross misconduct and instant term. Also, someone mentioned searches of your person by ETLs. These are absolutely not permissible. The only people who can do that are LE; not even AP after an apprehension. They can search belongings, but not your person.

Now, if you have an Aurora/VT/Newtown situation, by all means, waste the guy;

From what I understand, there were other people with guns in the Aurora theater that night, but with all the chaos, no training in the world could give them a clear shot of the gunman, if it was the right person, etc.

From what I understand, there were other people with guns in the Aurora theater that night, but with all the chaos, no training in the world could give them a clear shot of the gunman, if it was the right person, etc.

And that's the point of someone who has been trained and understands the responsibility that comes with concealed carry.
Even in a situation where you truly wish you could, the situation may require that you leave your weapon in the holster.

I dunno. Maybe cuz I've worked at a Ghetto Target before and have seen someone shoot someone at a Target before (Way before I even worked at Target. Was 14), I guess.... I dunno.
LIke others have said I would have to KNOW you but if it was the first thing I knew about you, I'd be intimidated, and as sad as this sounds, If you looked... sketchy (yes, that's judgmental so, sorry) I would prolly be scared of you.
But in overall, if I knew you after a while and you didn't seem freaky to me, I guess I'd be okay with it.

But then again, I have seen someone get shot and people at your store, if they were there during the attacks that you said have taken place, they may feel different. They may approve seeing as they know how scary the store can be.
But that's just my 2 cents.

I know my post prolly didn't make sense lol.
It's hard to say.

As a 3-year AP TM, I can tell you that in a worst-case scenario, I'm locking myself in the office. What can I do? Throw my mini-Maglite at someone? As long as you're trained, level headed, and EXTREMELY safe about having it, I wouldn't mind.

That being said, don't tell a soul in your store. Spots are gossip factories. Also, if someone wants to rob the place, let them. Don't pull your gun if someone wants to steal money, even if they're waving a gun around. Now, if you have an Aurora/VT/Newtown situation, by all means, waste the guy; but don't do it for some cash/merchandise. Most robberies involving weapons are not escalated by the robber, but the actions of those being robbed.

Also, the above TMs are right, gross misconduct and instant term. Also, someone mentioned searches of your person by ETLs. These are absolutely not permissible. The only people who can do that are LE; not even AP after an apprehension. They can search belongings, but not your person.
Love this post.
Mini maglite sentence made me lol.

Love this post.
Mini maglite sentence made me lol.

When I finished the Terrorism and WMD training (California ftw), I emerged from the AP Office like a groundhog, blinking into the lights (had been doing e-training for 4 hours straight). Ordered myself a Starbucks, and told the girl that I had just finished some weird training.

Her - "Really? Terrorism training? So if someone attacks the store, you'll save us?"
Me - "Hell no. I'm running into that office and shutting the door. You're on your own."
Her - "But...but..."
Me - "Seriously, how much do you think I get paid? Not enough to tackle someone with a suicide vest on, that's for damn sure."

When I finished the Terrorism and WMD training (California ftw), I emerged from the AP Office like a groundhog, blinking into the lights (had been doing e-training for 4 hours straight). Ordered myself a Starbucks, and told the girl that I had just finished some weird training.

Her - "Really? Terrorism training? So if someone attacks the store, you'll save us?"
Me - "Hell no. I'm running into that office and shutting the door. You're on your own."
Her - "But...but..."
Me - "Seriously, how much do you think I get paid? Not enough to tackle someone with a suicide vest on, that's for damn sure."
HAHAH I like you.

If crap goes down ever, I'm running into the C.O. since I have a code for both doors, putting the safe contents in the canvas brown bags, sitting it outside the door and barracading my scared ass in the C.O.

Her - "But...but..."

I would have done the same...

Only thing different, is I would try to obtain as much Video as possible of the shooter, and give Police constant updates on the shooters location in the store...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back