Archived Conduct write up. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a mistake last week. A decent size one, but immediately went to the GSTL then LOD. Yesterday I get pulled in by ETL of HR and get a conduct write up. There are so many aspects of this that aren’t sitting right with me but I can’t find anything in the TM handbook or online that explains conduct write ups. Like the policy on what qualifies, how it’s delivered, etc. Anyone have any insight or can point me in the right direction?

When you go in Workday to acknowledge it, it should give the exact information. Your description is vague. As to how it's delivered, sounds like it was done in private, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

I made a mistake last week. A decent size one, but immediately went to the GSTL then LOD. Yesterday I get pulled in by ETL of HR and get a conduct write up. There are so many aspects of this that aren’t sitting right with me but I can’t find anything in the TM handbook or online that explains conduct write ups. Like the policy on what qualifies, how it’s delivered, etc. Anyone have any insight or can point me in the right direction?
As hardlinemaster said learn and don’t do it again . You didn’t give to much for us to even say anything about it , I think you probably had an unacceptable conduct write up and that could mean various of things .

In the past a tm did not know what was recorded about them in print other than the conversation/coaching they received verbally. As I understand now, the Workday app provides you with a copy of any documentation made on you that is included in your permanent record, this way you can acknowledge it and know what you did wrong as seen by HR and what you need to change to not receive a second write up for the same infraction. Conversations/coachings are in place to help a team member improve in any areas of opportunity. Read your workday document, do not repeat the bad behavior, follow the recommendation for improvement going forward and don’t worry too much about it. Target is not as quick to fire for mistakes as some posters have made it sound at times. There are few things that you can do wrong that you are not given a second chance for. Immediate termination/final warnings (ONE more chance only) are reserved for serious infractions like stealing, no call no show for shift, unlock doors, leaving cash out/a register not emptied, losing keys, physical harm, deliberate damage....there are probably others but they are obvious serious you should have known better stuff. Don’t fret, live and learn, try your best, do better, behave, do not repeat what you did wrong, whatever it is, if they told you it was wrong they are giving you a second chance, don’t do it again.

If every corporate policy and best practice was listed in the hand book it would be 300 pages thick. Use your best judgment, use common sense, don’t break stuff, and make safety/security a top priority. Conduct is pretty straight up. If you’re told to do a job, do it. If you can’t do it then explain to the TL why you can’t. Don’t swear, hit people, or behave in a manner that negatively reflects on the company.

Sometimes you just have to eat the coaching or CCA you get. You may not agree with it, but a lot of people are in denial of their behavior

Maybe I didn’t give enough info but I thought the question was clear enough. Maybe not so I’ll try again. :)

There should be some sort of policy laying out conduct write ups. That’s what I’m looking for. They wouldn’t just leave it completely up to HR and say “have at it”. There should be guidelines for what justifies a conduct write up, who is suppose to deliver it, etc. That’s what I’m looking for. I made a mistake on a return. I punched in the wrong amount when I was adjusting the price. I realized my mistake and immediately went to the GSTL, then the LOD. Then talked to another GSTL and the ETL the next day. A week later the ETL of HR pulls me in to give me a conduct write up. She said I should have been told it was coming (I wasn’t), and wanted me to walk her through what happened because she didn’t get all the details. So I’m wondering why she would have been the one to write it up. It’s been two days since then and I haven’t received any actual documentation or anything in workday. I spent 8 years in the military on top of working about 5 years before hand and never received a single write up in my life. I’ve only been with target 2 months. Started as a seasonal cashier and was already promoted to GSA. A conduct write up for a mistake seems extreme to me.

@Ms run the lanes Fellow GSA here, and while ASANTS, at my store (and I assume most others) GSAs are held to GSTL/TL standards. The mistake you made could happen to anybody, but as a GSA, I would have immediately post-voided it, apologize to the guest for the delay and explain what happened. Then re-ring it at the correct price. If the guest already walked away by the time you realized your mistake, then it's too late and you just have to eat the CCA. It sucks, but TLs just don't get to make mistakes like that without getting punished. That's my $0.02

A conduct write up for a mistake seems extreme to me.
It seems extreme to me too. I have no experience with how front lanes does things, but discipline may be more severe up there because loss is involved. I don’t see how making a mistake and informing leadership about it warrants a conduct write up. Seems to me that conduct write ups should be reserved for infractions or derelictions that are committed with intent, not simple mistakes that are reported immediately and not concealed. It may be ASANTS, but at my store the lead or leader who witnessed the infraction was the only one who could do the write up, however this may have changed with Modernization since seemingly anything goes these days.

A conduct write up for a mistake seems extreme to me
It can seem extreme, yes. Going under the assumption that all the ETLs involved are on the up and up, though, there's just some stuff that the rulebook says need to be written up. For instance, if it was something that fell under corrective conduct based on what you told your ETL, there's a strong possibility that you were given a CCA based on the book alone so as to cover the required paper trail. (If they choose not to CCA in this case, it can be considered discriminatory practice if they choose to write up the next GSA/GSTL that makes the same mistake with less good intentions)

Now, all that said, here's my actual recommendation given where it sounds like you're at: look on Workday next shift to see if there's anything submitted for corrective action and check for details there. If not (and probably even if so) ask to chat with your ETL GE the next time they're in and ask for clarification on what constituted a write up in your situation. (See if you can phrase this as "how can I avoid making the mistake in the future" or something to help get more information from them)
Past that, I agree with HLM in broad premise, but I'll add that it's not as big a deal as it sounds. As you said yourself, you've never ever been written up for anything, so as long as you're on the same page as your leads for the future you should be good. The CCA also falls off your Spot record after a year in the workday system if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks guys. I did voice my concern and confusion to my ETL and was told they’d get with HR ETL to clarify and clear up confusion so hopefully that helps. I really wanted to promote to GSTL which is why I’m so concerned about being written up. We are a military family and move in less than a year. I wanted to promote here, but it may have to be after we leave and I don’t know how a new store and management will look at it if they see a conduct write up following me in. I appreciate the feedback and the advice.

Just so you're aware. Any TL or ETL can write you up for any mistake. It doesn't have to be your direct TL.

However the fact that they just went straight to a write up and not a coaching kind of makes me think this has happened before? That could be an assumption on my part but as a leader I generally allow a mistake or two before I start handing out CA's

We have people make MUCH bigger mistakes than that all the time, and no one's really been written up for it. Conduct over Performance write up seems odd, too. Makes it seem like they think you did something intentionally, like you knew the person, or were cutting them a deal intentionally.
Only time we've had something like that happen was when TMs were giving friends and family members some kind of "deal."

Can TMs really see their PIP "coaching" conversations on Workday? We've always been told they can only see reviews and CCAs, but not the individual coaching conversations.

Maybe I didn’t give enough info but I thought the question was clear enough. Maybe not so I’ll try again. :)

There should be some sort of policy laying out conduct write ups. That’s what I’m looking for. They wouldn’t just leave it completely up to HR and say “have at it”. There should be guidelines for what justifies a conduct write up, who is suppose to deliver it, etc. That’s what I’m looking for. I made a mistake on a return. I punched in the wrong amount when I was adjusting the price. I realized my mistake and immediately went to the GSTL, then the LOD. Then talked to another GSTL and the ETL the next day. A week later the ETL of HR pulls me in to give me a conduct write up. She said I should have been told it was coming (I wasn’t), and wanted me to walk her through what happened because she didn’t get all the details. So I’m wondering why she would have been the one to write it up. It’s been two days since then and I haven’t received any actual documentation or anything in workday. I spent 8 years in the military on top of working about 5 years before hand and never received a single write up in my life. I’ve only been with target 2 months. Started as a seasonal cashier and was already promoted to GSA. A conduct write up for a mistake seems extreme to me.
You need to let it go.
There used to be a policy and procedure manual that specifically detailed infractions and what level of write up should be given. That was many years ago. I demoted a long time ago. This p&p Manual was for etl eyes only but it was very detailed and made to make sure everyone received same write up for same behavior.
But this manual is none of your business. You made a mistake. Not a big deal. If it’s not in workday it was probably just a verbal discussion to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
Let it go.

Lol, I'm laughing with you, not at you. I was always a top performing employee in career. My attendance is nearly perfect, I always am in top 3 of red cards, I've gotten numerous comments for good service from guests, and twice noted by district when they were doing their walks for outstanding. Who got coaching something or other? MOI. I don't know if it was formal or not. Don't care. Don't care about whatever it is. It always comes during review time, like clockwork. And it's never been legit. Never.

I finally am ok with it. Doesn't affect anything. The raise isnt a raise, anyway, and I sure don't want a promotion.

Once was a guest who completely misunderstood. Another time was a gsl who got into trouble and decided to play, "look over there!" At first, like you I took it hard!

Now, it's hard to keep a straight face.

To be clear, I believe the only time TM's can see the coachings is when the CA is released to be accepted by the TM. I'm pretty sure they're all chained together. I did a final the other night and the TM's coachings were listed under them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back