Archived Conflict of Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just applied and got a call from Costco and if hired, would ideally like to work target part time, and Costco, part time. Does anybody know if Costco is considered a conflict of interest? (Btw my friend has a job at shopko, while also being a team lead at target, so that's why I'm hoping it'll be ok)

DON'T TAKE THAT JOB!!!!!!!
They are very cruel to animals ! Stay away! Don't be a party to that and don't shop there either!!!!
That is a FAUSTIAN bargain:eek:
You are very welcome
:eek::eek::eek:

Personally I wouldn't care if it was a conflict, Costco is a much better gig than Target and treats their employees far better, even part time positions.
It's hard to get into full time because the people who have those jobs hold on to them no matter what (unlike other places we know) but if you can work your way into one of those the pay scale is even better and you are looking at very good benefits.
In terms of retail Costco is counted as one of the top places to work.

I thought this company was cruel, maybe you know something that I don't. Please let me know what you have heard. I am always trying to keep an open mind
Thanks

Last edited:
Do you work there? I am really surprised.

Nope, just do my research.
I think you'll find that the reason they are going after Costco (and not other major grocery chain that gets their eggs or pork from the very same suppliers) is that that Costco has consistently changed their policies every time time something like this has happened, like the veal in 2010.
They know Costco will bend because of its policies and clientele as opposed to say a place like Target.

I was just going on to the site to delete my comment bc it sounded passive aggressive in hindsight
I will leave it bc you make a good point and it wont make sense to other readers if I delete my post. I will edit it instead

Hope it works out for you Blackberry
two jobs will be difficult, but you wont have $ anxiety. I wish you well

Nope, just do my research.
I think you'll find that the reason they are going after Costco (and not other major grocery chain that gets their eggs or pork from the very same suppliers) is that that Costco has consistently changed their policies every time time something like this has happened, like the veal in 2010.
They know Costco will bend because of its policies and clientele as opposed to say a place like Target.

Actually Target back in 2011 got rid of Sparboe Farms as an egg supplier because of a video of a worker at the egg supplier abusing chickens. I remember because we had to remove all the eggs and print a 7x11 with a vague reason why we had no eggs on the shelves.

Back to the OP... I do know a TL that was fired after she was seen working at Costco but that was because she was on a LOA from Target at the time. I don't think Target is a direct competitor, so you should be fine.

Shade of gray. CostCo is considered a membership club retailer and not general merchandise. But I wouldn't think store management would be too happy.

Grocery store or restaurants are OK.

Thanks guys! They're building it right now, and I think they're opening in August, and doing a lot of hiring I'm sure, I just hate my job at Tarbucks right now and need a change of pace. I'll let y'all know how the interview goes, and if it seems promising I'll ask my stl if it's a conflict. I need a change of scenery. Wouldn't really mind working two jobs. I need to save for college right now any way.

If you can swing the 2 jobs, I'd do that. Like most newly opened stores they will overhire and cut some employees after their opening. Cut your Target hours during the interim to keep your door open to return if necessary. That's the nature of this. Costco is a fantastic opportunity - when it opened in our city we lost some excellent employees. That was more than 5 years ago and I think that most of them are still there.

Thanks guys! They're building it right now, and I think they're opening in August, and doing a lot of hiring I'm sure, I just hate my job at Tarbucks right now and need a change of pace. I'll let y'all know how the interview goes, and if it seems promising I'll ask my stl if it's a conflict. I need a change of scenery. Wouldn't really mind working two jobs. I need to save for college right now any way.
If you don't mind me asking how did you get a call back? Did they just call you back? Did you call and check on your application a few times? I've been trying to get noticed by Costco and never hear from them. Thanks!

I wouldn't mention it to your leadership; just put in a change of avail.
If the Costco position takes off, just give your notice & stick with Costco.
By working out your 2 weeks, you'd have somewhere to return if things didn't work out with Costco.

So I just applied and got a call from Costco and if hired, would ideally like to work target part time, and Costco, part time. Does anybody know if Costco is considered a conflict of interest? (Btw my friend has a job at shopko, while also being a team lead at target, so that's why I'm hoping it'll be ok)

I've been trying to get into Costco for 2 years now! Just take the Costco job. It's better. How did you apply for it? Online? Was it a paper application?

I've worked two jobs before, and unfortunately, I do find myself having to be sort of secretive about it. I've been screwed over before every time my boss found out I had another job. However, this was with a company that was eager to get rid of people due to not being able to afford them. Target has always been rather flexible though. Best thing you can do is tell your ETL-HR. Work with them and see what they can do. If you can get on a consistent schedule, example, only working mornings, or only working evenings, is what works. Or hell, even only weekends. If you're lucky, they'll work with you. Just keep in mind, they aren't really obligated to.

As for just general advice on working two jobs...not going to lie, it wasn't the best part of my life. I was always tired and cranky. I actually lost a lot of weight during that time, even though I was eating nothing but junk food. They were basically 12-16 hour days, sometimes with as little as a half hour between jobs. Any free time was consumed with errands and school stuff. I probably got about 3 hours of sleep a night. Definitely no social life. BUT....I did make good money. It was enough to build myself a savings account and help pay for school. Currently, I still work 2 jobs, just one of those jobs is a self employed type of deal, so I work at my own pace anyway.

Basically, I recommend it for short periods of time. I think I only lasted about 4 months, before having to give up one of the jobs. Working 2 jobs is good if you just want to wait and see that this new job will be stable. Like it's good for transitioning. And it's good for building up a cash cushion. I wouldn't recommend trying it long term.

I have been doing 2 jobs for a few years. if you manage your time correctly, you can still have a social life & a bigger bank acct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back