Archived Confused...(long post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraction

General Merch (Hardlines)
started off as an apparel TM and got moved to GM months ago while our store underwent some changes in titles, positions, and processes. I have an availability that's open 24/7 (I set it all hours of the day because I enjoy coming in early on Sundays to do the AD and I don't mind coming in early if they need me to). I usually get scheduled different times of the day, sometimes opening, close, and mid-day shifts. When the new schedule came out, I noticed my schedule was a little out of the ordinary for me since all of my shifts that week started at 6am. I thought it was different and was not sure what they wanted me to do that week so I asked one of the HLTL and he said he doesn't know exactly. When the following week's schedule came out, I noticed the same exact shift times as the previous week. Two days before the first shift of the 6am week, the same HLTL says that I will be getting trained in apparel sort from the truck because that is considered a GM team member's job. He said they want to train me so they have more flexibility and since I worked apparel previously, I would be good at it. I thought that I would give it a try because I have never done it. By the way, when I showed up they did not schedule anyone to train me. After I completed the first day, I found out that it wasn't something I enjoy doing since I like to be on the sales floor helping guests, answering calls, being around a lot of people, etc. but there was nothing I could do about it so I might as well stick it out. The second day, an apparel TM was helping out with apparel sort and she asks me if any lead or leader asked me to do this and I said no. She mentions that they asked her and another apparel TM to do this as a permanent kind of every shift task. They both said no. She told me that they originally wanted us three to do it permanently but I thought it was strange they asked both of them and not even inform me. I talked to the GM leader and told him I wouldn't mind doing it every once in a while because I don't want to leave them with no one and he said that he is sorry he "hurt my feelings" by scheduling me but it is considered a GM job. I understand that it is a GM job but I am just confused at this point. I talked to my STL who told me that she won't schedule me if i don't enjoy doing it. For two weeks, I did what i was asked and stuck it out even though I absolutely did not want to. When the new schedule came out (which will be the following week 10/7 in current time), I noticed I am supposed to come in at 6:30 everyday but it didn't say AA Hardlines Sales Floor like it has been, it said GM1, GM2, GM3. The new schedule for 10/14 which came out today is back to 6am AA Hardlines Sales Floor. I don't know why since my STL said I won't be scheduled anymore for apparel sort. It's not like it's the worst thing to happen to me in the world but clearly it's not a desirable job considering everyone who they asked said no to it. I didn't intend on being a flow team member or anything other than sales floor especially because they didn't tell me i got moved. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I change my availability to 8am or will they still put me back there?

I've had this happen where they scheduled me outside of my normal area without any communication and I didn't care for the work either.

It's kind of tricky but can be done. First be patient, it might take a few schedules for them to figure it out. Do you know who writes the schedule for you? Sometimes a TL does it or HR or HR and STL. But talking with that person is key. Remember to focus more on why you are better in the other area rather than how much you don't like the SL breakout. Like how you love serving the guests and the challenge of AD or push...just the bullshit they like to hear. ;) But for real, focus on the benefits of you there and less on not liking that other, but that you're glad to have the knowledge...blah, blah.

Your availability change is worth a try but they aren't approved very often at my store. I'd just focus on selling your TL/STL on why you are a benefit in your normal area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back