Confused on termination?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve worked at Starbucks inside target for about 2 years, never had any write ups or warnings, did more than what was asked of me at my job. We had no team leader, no manager, everyone expected us to handle everything on our own. We had 4 total team members… FOUR. They expected me and my coworker to carry the work and weight of a “team lead” but we were not team leads, nor were we getting PAID or TREATED like team leads. My coworker and I came in at 6am the day of the last launch (mind you we open at 8am), to set up all the signs/ displays/ cups/ etc. The new Stanley cup was releasing that day; and I planned on buying on one for my cousin. Halfway through setting up, my coworker suggested I purchase my cup then so I don’t forget. Not thinking anything of it, I purchased my cup, and another regular store team member did as well. We were never told this was not allowed, however two days later the three of us were fired for purchasing the cup. They waited till my shift was over to bring me us to the office to fire us. No warning, write up, just straight termination…. For buying a cup… !!! I was so frustrated with the place already, that all i could do was laugh. Something just feels wrong about this situation, but they did not seem to care that none of us were ever told or made aware of that rule.

I’ve worked at Starbucks inside target for about 2 years, never had any write ups or warnings, did more than what was asked of me at my job. We had no team leader, no manager, everyone expected us to handle everything on our own. We had 4 total team members… FOUR. They expected me and my coworker to carry the work and weight of a “team lead” but we were not team leads, nor were we getting PAID or TREATED like team leads. My coworker and I came in at 6am the day of the last launch (mind you we open at 8am), to set up all the signs/ displays/ cups/ etc. The new Stanley cup was releasing that day; and I planned on buying on one for my cousin. Halfway through setting up, my coworker suggested I purchase my cup then so I don’t forget. Not thinking anything of it, I purchased my cup, and another regular store team member did as well. We were never told this was not allowed, however two days later the three of us were fired for purchasing the cup. They waited till my shift was over to bring me us to the office to fire us. No warning, write up, just straight termination…. For buying a cup… !!! I was so frustrated with the place already, that all i could do was laugh. Something just feels wrong about this situation, but they did not seem to care that none of us were ever told or made aware of that rule.
You did a major no no! They usually tell you the Team member purchase guidelines in orientation. At my store there is also signs posted in clerical. At the very least you should have been on break or lunch when you purchased the cup.

Cannot buy anything before it is available to guests for 15 minutes.

I'm really sorry about your experience working at Starbucks and how overwhelmed you were. Since I don't work at Target anymore and I have no interest in visiting my old store, I'm not really sure what the Stanley Cup is. However, if an item wasn't on the sales-floor for more than 15 minutes so that guests had an opportunity to buy it before team members, team members are not allowed to buy that particular item.

It was in the handbook, which is why no one in leadership had an obligation to tell you that the rule exists.

Fun fact- you can't read the hand book anywhere but work.

so it's not like anyone has time to actually look at 🤣

All jokes aside. Target takes the purchasing rules extremely serious for hot items. When switches were a "thing" we had a team member working black Friday. She had access to electronic keys. She unlocked one, dropped it where her husband could pick it up then he purchased it. I had never met the dude so when he came through the boat I thought nothing of it. She might have gotten away with it until she boasted to another team member. Of course that person wanted one and didn't get it- for obvious reasons. They were fired a couple weeks later. Moral of the story kids just wait 15 minutes, clock out and may be annoying but always check with a leader ( yours or not)

thats so funny because at my store a TM and an ETL both purchased one before we opening 🫣 we had 6 total (4 after those two were bought) and a line of 30 people since 5am to buy them... they had no punishment whatsoever

the rule is 15 minutes on the floor before you can buy it and that is a strict rule... but honestly for what you described as your work ethic I feel like firing you was extreme. its not like it was a super expensive item either.... i would have argued a corrective action if anything... I'm sorry that was your experience :( hopefully you are safe and can rebound quickly!

You did a major no no! They usually tell you the Team member purchase guidelines in orientation. At my store there is also signs posted in clerical. At the very least you should have been on break or lunch when you purchased the cup.
appreciate it! yeah definitely was never told this stuff, but I now know!

Fun fact- you can't read the hand book anywhere but work.

so it's not like anyone has time to actually look at 🤣

All jokes aside. Target takes the purchasing rules extremely serious for hot items. When switches were a "thing" we had a team member working black Friday. She had access to electronic keys. She unlocked one, dropped it where her husband could pick it up then he purchased it. I had never met the dude so when he came through the boat I thought nothing of it. She might have gotten away with it until she boasted to another team member. Of course that person wanted one and didn't get it- for obvious reasons. They were fired a couple weeks later. Moral of the story kids just wait 15 minutes, clock out and may be annoying but always check with a leader ( yours or not)
oh wow !!! yeah totally makes sense, was never made aware of the 15 min rule, definitely glad to know now

definitely was never informed of this, and neither were my other coworkers, I guess many stores handle orientation differently! but thank you for the info!!

thats so funny because at my store a TM and an ETL both purchased one before we opening 🫣 we had 6 total (4 after those two were bought) and a line of 30 people since 5am to buy them... they had no punishment whatsoever

the rule is 15 minutes on the floor before you can buy it and that is a strict rule... but honestly for what you described as your work ethic I feel like firing you was extreme. its not like it was a super expensive item either.... i would have argued a corrective action if anything... I'm sorry that was your experience :( hopefully you are safe and can rebound quickly
Unfortunately you broke the rules.They really should tell employees during orientation. Chances are nobody is reading the handbook. I wish you luck though.
For sure!!!

I'm really sorry about your experience working at Starbucks and how overwhelmed you were. Since I don't work at Target anymore and I have no interest in visiting my old store, I'm not really sure what the Stanley Cup is. However, if an item wasn't on the sales-floor for more than 15 minutes so that guests had an opportunity to buy it before team members, team members are not allowed to buy that particular item.

It was in the handbook, which is why no one in leadership had an obligation to tell you that the rule exists.
yeah im not sure how no one was aware of that 15 minute rule, glad I know now!

Off! Yeah, that is Spot's biggest No No. Those rules are highlighted are posted all over our store. Sorry you fired, but yeah... that is the Cardinal Sin
I guess our stores are very different! Glad I’m now learning these rules though!

the rule is 15 minutes on the floor before you can buy it and that is a strict rule... but honestly for what you described as your work ethic I feel like firing you was extreme. its not like it was a super expensive item either.... i would have argued a corrective action if anything... I'm sorry that was your experience :( hopefully you are safe and can rebound quickly!
that is crazy there was no punishment towards them!? I definitely feel like rules are more enforced in some targets more than others. I’ve even heard some tarbucks employees get free drinks or pastries, which my store had never let us do! Things definitely vary from place to place which shouldn’t be the case! Just weird how some places get away with things like that!

After store open
After store open .
Yikes! In orientation they never went over those rules, and like I said my Starbucks had never had a team lead to enforce those things. Definitely was my responsibility to check with a team leader but there was one present at the time we purchased the cups; and she said nothing to us. Never once was made aware of that 15 minute rule, and it definitely hasn’t been followed since I’ve seen girls who’ve been there longer than me buy cups before a launch. I guess with the demand of those cups the rule got more strict, Thank you for making me aware of this I appreciate it! I’ll definitely make time to read the handbook !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back