Archived Considering pursuing GSA position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like you should wait even though I’m 17, in high school and a GSA. I mean my availability is quite open other than the closing restriction which I’ve learned to live with.

Last edited:
I feel like you should wait even though I’m 17, in high school and a GSA. I mean my availability is quite open other than the closing restriction which I’ve learned to live with for the next couple months.

Original post was from 2016

Well redcards!different topic same thread woo I should read the dates on these things... you can get one quite young I got the debit at 16 when I got a bank account so

I really loved my time as a GSA. I was essentially treated as a GSTL though since all my shifts were GSTL and I worked full time and overtime during Q4 and all my cashiers truly respected me and never walked over me (they even said I was the highest performing one and I was mistaken as an LOD a lot). Sure it was difficult going from cashier to GSA at a very young age myself (18) but I loved the whole experience.. was GSA for 15 months and then promoted to GSTL :) anything is possible. My goal is to reach for STL one day and from there who knows.

RedCards can be done at any age. I began when I was 16, and I did 3 RedCards in the first week. It could be a regionally specific rule, but any employee is required to ask at any age at all registers (except for food service cashiers).
Signing up for a red credit card, you have to be 18.

Hi! I'm a 17 year-old who has been working in Hardlines (as the name may imply) for 1 year . However, whenever backup is called for the front lanes, I am consistently the one who ends up going. I will voluntarily go up, as I want to help the store run smoothly, and the other team members pick up on this and will flat out ignore (or at least I assume they ignore) multiple calls up to the front lanes, until I once again have to pick up a rather large amount of slack for the team.

Recently, however, there has been what seems to be multiple openings for GSA at my store. And from what it seems, the explicit role of a GSA is to overlook the lanes, and essentially perform the duties of a GSTL without the same level of authority (I am also aware of the lower pay compared to GSTL). It also seems that the implicit role of the GSA is to boost RedCard enrollment, which I guess I could see how that could drive customer guest loyalty. From my understanding, there is nothing in the job description that requires a certain age, as most responsibilities are for GSTL?

I know that almost all GSTLs have openly thanked me at huddle for being essentially the only one on the floor to respond. Additionally, I prioritize quick service, as to prevent inconvenience on behalf of the guest, and to get back to my role as Team Member. This I believe can be problematic, as I often don't have the time to discuss the RedCard with the guest, thus getting few new RedCards.

My questions, as a 17 year old, who is currently in school, and has worked at Target (in Hardlines) for 1 year now, are..

1. What would the viability be of someone of my age/experience getting the position?

2. If the chances are relatively low, what might I do to improve my chances before applying?
(IE: Get RedCard, train in service desk, work longer/be older etc.)

3. Is this position worth pursuing? I am aware of the fact that GSTLs make considerably more for "the same job". Also, being 17, and primarily using this as a summer job, I am not afraid of physical taxation.

4. I don't think I'll be available Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays this summer. Would 4 day work weeks affect my chances significantly, or could I just work weekends?

I'm sorry if this is really long, or if it's not necessarily in the right forum, I'm completely new to this site, and I appreciate any responses! Thank You!
  1. Generally higher positions are not given out to minors. They may provide training or guidance for the position in preparation of you graduating HS. ASANTS - Preference is given to those enrolled in college or have a degree.
  2. To be put in consideration, you will need to buddy up to your GSTL and ETLs. Draw in RedCard apps easily. Willingness to work all Front End areas. Provide visible Guest Service to guests.
  3. GSA is nothing more than a TM with Front End keys and higher expectations and no authority. Its Targets way of filling GSTL shifts without the added payroll.
  4. Generally in order to have a higher position in Target your will need open availability or an availability to provide fill ample openings & closings and able to fill rotating weekend shifts.

Last edited:
Being a GSA is not for everyone.

I was one for over a year before promoting to GSTL.

Heck, I was doing GSA duties as a cashier for several months before promoting to GSA!

None of ours last unfortunately even when I try my best to set them up for success the pay rate just doesn’t make sense for the amount of work that goes into running the front... I was extremely patient as a GSA because I was used as a GSTL and it sucked that I had to wait an extensive amount of time before being finally promoted when I was more than qualified than my peers and even my own previous terrible GSTL.

Hopefully I can become a SR before the new format rolls out. It’s in the talks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back