Archived Convincing HR to let me work in the Pharmacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry

World's happiest cynic.
Hello everyone. I have an inquiry for all of you.

I'm graduating with a Bachelors degree this Saturday and have been looking for a better job for the past few months. However, every single place has told me that I either don't have the necessary experience or that I'm "over-qualified". As such, I might have stay with Target for a little while longer than I had thought.

When looking at various departments at my store, I have applied to a couple of positions, but again, was told that I didn't have enough experience to take on a higher position. However, after becoming HIPPA trained, I have worked in the pharmacy for cashiering and signing guests out. The pharmacist there likes me and suggested that I become licensed or certified and work for her as a tech.

I really like this idea for a few reasons:

• One of their Techs always calls out and does this thing were she'll do it for nearly 2 weeks in a row. However, since she always calls in, they technically can't dock or fire her for it. She also shows up for at least one shift so she isn't put on a LOA. The pharmacist thinks that I would be much more reliable.
  • Given my Aspergian tendencies, it would give me a more set schedule and set of tasks to do.
  • As aforementioned, this is actually by the suggestion if the pharmacist. She said that she is interested in getting me certified and that, if possible, she would see if Target would either reimburse or otherwise help me with my certification.
After all of that, here is my question:

How can I convince HR to allow me to work more in the Pharmacy? While either working towards certification or during certification?

I only ask that, because everyone (including management) tells me to go to HR, who in turns says that I have to ask the pharmacist (whose idea this was in the first place), who in turn tells me to go back to HR, who in turn tells me to go back to the pharmacist. o_O

I understand that I need a license or certification to work as a tech, but the pharmacist is more than willing to help me out with that process. As also said, I'm HIPAA trained, so in the meantime I can help with non-tech duties.

EDIT: If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it mods. I just noticed the "I'm Lost" section.

Last edited:
It would be up to the ETL-Rx to "hire" you for the pharmacy. First, they would have to "open" a position (which might be why the pharmacist is saying it's up to HR-I believe they have to open a position, but could be wrong on this), you'd have to interview, then you could be hired. I don't believe they reimburse for "formal" certification education, but they WILL pay for the actual certification test (as well as reimburse you for licensing). If you're in a state where formal training is required (I know Michigan just changed their requirements, but I'm not familiar with what is actually required), that may be different....they may pay for formal training. NONE of our techs have had "formal" training and have passed the certification test with no issues. AFA a "set" schedule, your store may be different, but none that I know of have "set" schedules (with a few exceptions for "certain" employees). Feel free to PM me with any questions....I'm not here daily, but I try to check in a few times a week. Good luck :)

@tgtcpht

Thanks for the answer. :)

That's good to know that Target generally will reimburse the licensing exam. I also knew that I would have to go through another interviewing process, but I'm 100% okay with that. It's just, if I actually worked as a tech, it would mean a better pay (even if it's not by much), and a much better schedule than what I currently have. Also, given that this was by suggestion of the pharmacist who is already understaffed with techs and struggles with the one who constantly calls out, I figured it would be a good opportunity.

Last edited:
Again, depending on your state, there's usually no "exam" for licensing, only for certification. You usually have to pay for your own licensing, but they reimburse you for it and it's a minimal cost. The certification can be charged directly to your store when you register to take the exam if you are working in the pharmacy.

And, not sure where you're working now, but the pay jump should be better than you think :cool:

Two things: Bachelors degree in what and is getting this certification something you want to do long term or until you find a better paying job? Getting a certification seems to be taking a step back from the degree, however if you're only doing this temporarily..... don't know! Personally I wouldn't invest my time/money into something I wasn't planning on using, unless it complements your degree.

Two things: Bachelors degree in what and is getting this certification something you want to do long term or until you find a better paying job? Getting a certification seems to be taking a step back from the degree, however if you're only doing this temporarily..... don't know! Personally I wouldn't invest my time/money into something I wasn't planning on using, unless it complements your degree.

1.) The degree is in Psychology. There are plenty of things you can do with a degree in Psych, but every place I've applied to has told me that I'm either over-qualified or don't have enough experience.

2.) Getting the license would only be temporary. I don't plan to stay at Target forever and I just need something that pays a little extra. Also Target will reimburse for the licensing (I found this out today).

@Starry - my friend was a psychology major - but wanted to do clinical psychology work so he did a year of clinicals and went to grad school. Psychology majors can do a variety of jobs.

Certification is a good plan to have. Hope all goes well. You could always look at other pharmacies if HR doesn't cooperate.

One of our cashiers just made the move to pharmacy. She started by taking the store training for pharmacy cashiering & being scheduled to cashier there 1-2 times a week.
She then applied to get a trainee's license which required fingerprinting, a background check & an on-line application. Our store reimbursed her for all related fees.
The pharmacist is now scheduling her 3 shifts a week & is giving her hands-on training in addition to study guides that she can study at home. Because she has a trainee's license, she's allowed to handle meds to learn the process in depth. Her license is good for 2 yrs (in our state) & the pharmacist says that that should be enough time for her to learn what she will need to take the state's test to earn her tech's certificate. HR said she will have to pay to take the test but the store will reimburse her as long as she passes.
I wanted to do this but they won't let me out of FA/SB :(

@Starry - my friend was a psychology major - but wanted to do clinical psychology work so he did a year of clinicals and went to grad school. Psychology majors can do a variety of jobs.

Certification is a good plan to have. Hope all goes well. You could always look at other pharmacies if HR doesn't cooperate.

I do want to go for a Masters in Counseling eventually, but I think I need to build up non-retail work experience and pay off some of this debt first. Until then, I'm going to look or office or secretary work.

And yeah, if Target continues to not cooperate, I will take my hypothetical certification elsewhere.

One of our cashiers just made the move to pharmacy. She started by taking the store training for pharmacy cashiering & being scheduled to cashier there 1-2 times a week.
She then applied to get a trainee's license which required fingerprinting, a background check & an on-line application. Our store reimbursed her for all related fees.
The pharmacist is now scheduling her 3 shifts a week & is giving her hands-on training in addition to study guides that she can study at home. Because she has a trainee's license, she's allowed to handle meds to learn the process in depth. Her license is good for 2 yrs (in our state) & the pharmacist says that that should be enough time for her to learn what she will need to take the state's test to earn her tech's certificate. HR said she will have to pay to take the test but the store will reimburse her as long as she passes.
I wanted to do this but they won't let me out of FA/SB :(

I finally got a legit answer the other day concerning pharmacy.

I can become licensed and work in pharmacy, but I will still continue getting my currently sales floor pay unless I fully transfer over to pharmacy. When (and if) I become licensed, the new battle would be making a full transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back