COVID-19 Coronavirus...

As far as your sister's coworker, I can guess, seeing how I kept showing up while sick and then being sent right on home mid-February.

You want to believe it's allergies. No one wants to be sick, not even a bout of the common cold, it's easy to tell yourself that there's a reasonable explanation. If you're telling yourself that, then you are also going to tell others that. If the symptoms are odd, it makes it even easier to believe it's allergies on steroids because it's not fitting the sick blueprint that your mind knows.

Then add in that there's a ton of reasons to not call out sick. For me I was on salary but I also was in training and would lose valuable training time, and my training salary had a firm ending even if I was out sick and lost training days. Other people are hourly and don't have sick pay. Managers also don't want you sick, they want you productive, which is why one day that I wasn't sent home, near the end of the day I was probably suffering mild delirium (not uncommon when I have a bad cold or similar illness) but the manager didn't say a word.

I've often said allergies until I hit a point where my body feels like it was walloped repeatedly with a hammer and then dragged across the parking lot. Because if it is allergies then it's not going to get bad, I'll be able to function well, I just need my Sudafed and Benadryl. And it's an easy lie to myself, considering how many allergies I have, especially to the cats that sleep in bed with me. And trying to believe it's allergies may actually lessen the symptoms some, as the placebo effect is real. And if I don't go to work I likely won't be paid (most of my hourly wage working life), if I'm even allowed to call out. And if I have duties that are unique to me, then losing time at work means setting myself up for failure when I go back.

Besides, it's probably because I haven't changed the pillow cases lately and there's fur all over the pillows themselves. So it's gotta be allergies. I'll be fine, just need to pop the Sudafed and Benadryl.
She's salaried and would not have lost pay or gotten in trouble for calling out. Their workload has been light and the company has been taking precautions. This just happened a few weeks ago.

But I agree that the coworker probably didn't want to even entertain the idea that it could be the virus, and my sister just wanted to believe her when she said it was allergies.

So many people in my state are acting like this is all over and life is normal again, including members of my own family. I feel like I am outnumbered and doomed, honestly. Many guests are not wearing masks in the store, despite Target policy and state mask policy. Even TMs are walking around without masks or pulling them down or off frequently. I feel very alone in my feelings right now.

I'll have to track down another article I read for you. It was an ER doctor and his thoughts on reopening society. Risks vs benefits and risk vs other risk analysis.

It's partly because while other stores will tell guests they have to mask up or leave, Target as a Corp. has chosen not to make any public declarations for guests. My city has a mask mandate but if a guest chooses not to wear one, even after we've told them to cover their nose/mouth and are hoping for personal responsibility to kick in, we can't ask them to leave bc Target Corp. hasn't given us that ability.

Very interesting article.

I'm certainly willing to take baby steps, and have done so already: I'm back to work, being as careful as possible, though we all know what a challenge that has become; I've had my sister and my nephew over to visit on the patio, as well as my neighbor and his friend; I've gone to the store several times and feel less anxious than I used to; I even had to go to the dentist to get a painful tooth checked out.

My concern as mentioned before was the lack of masks and social distancing by guests and TMs, and that friends and other family members are visiting and partying with no masks and no social distancing at all. My neighbor just threw a big party that started on his porch and in his back yard and finished hours later in his man cave - with no distancing and nary a mask in sight.

Last edited:
Commiefornia is now here.
I may have already asked it here, but how come masks are unconstitutional, but the government arresting someone who's only "crime" is being ill and passing it on and holding them in quarantine for a decade or two is perfectly fine according to the constitution? I really don't get how the latter is so much better legally than the former.

I may have already asked it here, but how come masks are unconstitutional, but the government arresting someone who's only "crime" is being ill and passing it on and holding them in quarantine for a decade or two is perfectly fine according to the constitution? I really don't get how the latter is so much better legally than the former.

Masks aren't unconstitutional, nobody said they were.

God, this sounds like the chicken pox parties, where parents wanted to get the chicken pox over with and swore up and down there was no chance of serious harm since chicken pox is such a mild thing.

Subpoenas. Certainly a unique approach.

Something the back of my brain has been nibbling on. Americans pride themselves on being resourceful and independent. That stance is why healthcare is so wrong, you should be able to do for yourself, including getting your own insurance, no one should pay for you just like you shouldn't be made to take care of them, doing for yourself is part of growing up.

So many things where the knee jerk response is argumentative, it seems that a lot of it is being seen as "independent, resourceful, do for yourself and expect others to do for themselves" is being practiced by one side or the other. Or both, with different interpretations of the same principle.

That very basic feeling, that's not going away in the next several generations, it's too basic, it's too valid. How does one change the application of it though? How do a group of determined people guide that "independent, care for yourself, resourceful" and change its expression?

Please tell me the morning TL sent you immediately home.
Yep morning TL sent me home immediately. Told me that since I clocked in target pays 3 hours? HR called later and told me to get a COVID test & she'd send an email reminding TLs to tell TM who call about being exposed to COVID to stay home and let HR decide about returning to work.

Here in florida the age group 25 to 34 is leading the cases. Beaches on the west coast will be open this holiday weekend and I expect you will see news reports on Monday of the crowded beaches. I find it amazing that people will put their entire families at risk to spend a day at a beach. Meanwhile Target is going to suspend our hazard pay so what is the corporations plan going forward ? It is only a matter of time now before every Target in Florida starts losing employees to the coronavirus.

Back