COVID-19 Coronavirus...

I did but I thought the sarcasm was directed at those of us who want to continue with the restrictions. Especially since you are apparently angry that I think humanity should be working together and not flouting mask policies and protesting.

Look, this sucks balls, no doubt about it. Even I'm getting a little antsy, and I love nothing more than to be sitting on my couch drinking a libation. But this shit is real and it's scary. I just want people to respect and have consideration for others, and the way to do that now is to wear a mask and keep your distance. If everyone was doing these two things then maybe opening up the country wouldn't be such a big deal.

I did but I thought the sarcasm was directed at those of us who want to continue with the restrictions. Especially since you are apparently angry that I think humanity should be working together and not flouting mask policies and protesting.

Look, this sucks balls, no doubt about it. Even I'm getting a little antsy, and I love nothing more than to be sitting on my couch drinking a libation. But this shit is real and it's scary. I just want people to respect and have consideration for others, and the way to do that now is to wear a mask and keep your distance. If everyone was doing these two things then maybe opening up the country wouldn't be such a big deal.

lmao as if we'd open if people were doing that

People are absolutely getting off on being locked down and they don't want that to change

so apparently people in california (still on lockdown) are going out on vacations to states that have opened

now im no expert but isnt this exactly how the virus spread in the first place? ppl travelling?

if we see a spike in positive cases blame california i guess
Anecdote to yours, people are still traveling from out of state to my city in CA because our beaches are soft open (no layong out etc but can still go), or "I already paid for it so might as well go and not waste the money."

I know people like to blame CA for stuff but it's other states with dipshits too.

People are absolutely getting off on being locked down and they don't want that to change
See, that's what I don't get. Why would anyone think that we on the side of caution are enjoying this? This is not fun, believe me. People are scared. Wearing masks is not fun. Going to the store is not fun. We don't want this anymore than you do - but it's necessary right now.

People are trying to come up with solutions to help humanity without going to those extremes, that is the whole fucking point. But some restrictions and limitations are necessary to protect people. Why is that so hard for people like you to understand? Sad and shameful that this has brought out the worst in people.
I don't think oath is saying restrictions are always bad. But they can definitely go too far to the point of being counter-productive and making things even worse in the long run than the virus would.

It's hard having a disabled kid who doesn't understand why he can't go certain places right now no matter how you try to explain.
We also having an elderly great aunt who lives with us who's in the high-risk group so we have to be mindful not to be around anyone who could be asymptomatic.

Nobody I know who support the lock down are "getting off" on it.
Most of them are people who are educated on the topic of infectious disease and understand that handling it this way is the best way to keep the death toll to a minimum.
Looking at history is also a good way to understand this.

99131990_10218319122077494_423842907665989632_n.jpg

Most of them are people who are educated on the topic of infectious disease and understand that handling it this way is the best way to keep the death toll to a minimum.

k

Right, no body you know. Pretty sure I heard a coworker laugh when they reported that Oktobetfesr was cancelled. I won't go so far to say "getting off," but they sure love to moralize.

And why are there differing opinions about wearing masks if they are so great? Screenshot_20200517-084939_Chrome.jpg

Right, no body you know. Pretty sure I heard a coworker laugh when they reported that Oktobetfesr was cancelled. I won't go so far to say "getting off," but they sure love to moralize.

And why are there differing opinions about wearing masks if they are so great? View attachment 10413
Those mask guidelines are ancient history. The reasons it is beneficial for everyone to wear masks right now have been iterated repeatedly online and in the media. Anyone who claims they don't understand it at this point is being willfully ignorant.

Last edited:
Those mask guidelines are ancient history. The reasons it is beneficial for everyone to wear masks right now have been iterated repeatedly online and in the media. Anyone who claims they don't understand it at this point is being willfully ignorant.

Is that why the current WHO page says that exact thing right now?

Also, if you dive deeper into the questions and answers about masks on the WHO site, they hedge their bets and say communities need to weight risks vs benefits.

I'm saying WHO is acknowledging that their standard guidelines need to be modified during this pandemic, due to its severity and ease of transmission. A quick perusal of the site bears that out.

Target should require masks in store for everyone, guests included. For our sake, not for guests. The reading I've been doing indicates space + time are the biggest factors for transmission, so guests are unlikely to get sick from a trip to the store (assuming they wash their hands, etc.) but we can get infected by the large number of people we come into passing contact with who may be infected. Masks are literally the only way we have to help reduce the likelihood of infection from guests and other TMs. Yeah, the shields help some, but those of us on the floor don't have those, and they're pretty easy to get around.

ETA: Masks and/or the plastic face shields.

Target should require masks in store for everyone, guests included. For our sake, not for guests. The reading I've been doing indicates space + time are the biggest factors for transmission, so guests are unlikely to get sick from a trip to the store (assuming they wash their hands, etc.) but we can get infected by the large number of people we come into passing contact with who may be infected. Masks are literally the only way we have to help reduce the likelihood of infection from guests and other TMs. Yeah, the shields help some, but those of us on the floor don't have those, and they're pretty easy to get around.

ETA: Masks and/or the plastic face shields.
Yes I've read about that too. It has helped to ease my mind somewhat when I have to make a quick run to the store, but definitely made me more concerned about working.

The reason why WHO says for healthy people to not use masks, the reason why the CDC originally said it, is because wearing a mask slightly increases your risk of catching whatever infectious virus comes your way, including COVID-19. You unconsciously touch your face more. You don't take it off right. The shape funnels the viruses to gaps, including the eyes.

So basically if you wear a mask you are protecting others at the expense of yourself. You are protecting others at the expense of the loved ones who live with you and would catch it from you. You are showing more care for the health of strangers than you are for your spouse, your children, your parents.

Ouch. Yeah, it burns to think that you are heightening their risk, but that's reality and if you're going to defend masks then you damned well better defend all aspects, including saying "fuck you" to your immediate family.

Who are you protecting? Can anyone truly say that the number of workers and number of "get only what is needed and get out" people outweigh the "I'm bored, let's go shopping" people. I don't have to venture out of my four walls to know that answer. There's plenty of reputable sources that do have to venture out from their four walls that are quite informative. The "I'm bored" people are the huge, huge majority.

And frankly the "I'm bored" people have zero of my sympathy. Insert natural disaster here. My natural disaster was Hurricane Isabel. Three-ish days after it came through one grocery store was open, the manager had plugged a generator in for emergency lighting and a couple of registers. Dry goods only. Apparently their meat was left in place rather than removed pre-hurricane and though the coolers gleamed from recent cleaning a third of the store was downright sickening from the smell of rotten meat. I couldn't stay more than 30 seconds before the nausea hit, it reeked so bad. 7-8 days in I knew we would be getting our power back soon since we were near a hospital. Yeah, 7-8 days in some hospitals didn't have their power back. At least we had clean water the whole time, some parts of town had to boil for a couple of days after the hurricane. Some parts of town people couldn't use their gas appliances for a few days since there were serious questions about the main gas lines. Neighborhoods had grilling parties the first couple of days since it was either cook what's in the freezer and share with neighbors or watch it go bad because no electricity. Just imagine over a week of nothing to do except whatever is on physical paper, going to bed with dusk because you've stopped seeing anything due to darkness, eating what you can make with dry goods and limited or no heat source, and a choice of ice cold showers or sponge baths. It wasn't fun. And Isabel wasn't all that compared to some others like Katrina and Andrew. I lived through a giggler. Giggler in more ways that one, the wildfires of the west, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, those 10 foot snowstorms a few years back...betcha that people who went through those would kill for uninterrupted electricity, internet, hot showers, cold refrigerators and roast for dinner. Now I want roast. Oh wow, grocery stores are open with fresh meat, not empty coolers and the stench of rotting meat, I can go buy one. And I have electricity, I can cook one and save the leftovers.

I hate masks for many reasons, but one of them is I'm ticked off that I have to protect others at the expense of my daughter's health. Actually more the opposite, she works at a grocery store 6 days a week, and I buy cat food at PetSmart once in a while. But the point still stands, one of us is putting the other at risk in order to protect Karens. If people were staying home instead of "I'm bored" I'd be tons more sympathetic to the concept of group good.

The reason why WHO says for healthy people to not use masks, the reason why the CDC originally said it, is because wearing a mask slightly increases your risk of catching whatever infectious virus comes your way, including COVID-19. You unconsciously touch your face more. You don't take it off right. The shape funnels the viruses to gaps, including the eyes.

So basically if you wear a mask you are protecting others at the expense of yourself. You are protecting others at the expense of the loved ones who live with you and would catch it from you. You are showing more care for the health of strangers than you are for your spouse, your children, your parents.

Ouch. Yeah, it burns to think that you are heightening their risk, but that's reality and if you're going to defend masks then you damned well better defend all aspects, including saying "fuck you" to your immediate family.

Who are you protecting? Can anyone truly say that the number of workers and number of "get only what is needed and get out" people outweigh the "I'm bored, let's go shopping" people. I don't have to venture out of my four walls to know that answer. There's plenty of reputable sources that do have to venture out from their four walls that are quite informative. The "I'm bored" people are the huge, huge majority.

And frankly the "I'm bored" people have zero of my sympathy. Insert natural disaster here. My natural disaster was Hurricane Isabel. Three-ish days after it came through one grocery store was open, the manager had plugged a generator in for emergency lighting and a couple of registers. Dry goods only. Apparently their meat was left in place rather than removed pre-hurricane and though the coolers gleamed from recent cleaning a third of the store was downright sickening from the smell of rotten meat. I couldn't stay more than 30 seconds before the nausea hit, it reeked so bad. 7-8 days in I knew we would be getting our power back soon since we were near a hospital. Yeah, 7-8 days in some hospitals didn't have their power back. At least we had clean water the whole time, some parts of town had to boil for a couple of days after the hurricane. Some parts of town people couldn't use their gas appliances for a few days since there were serious questions about the main gas lines. Neighborhoods had grilling parties the first couple of days since it was either cook what's in the freezer and share with neighbors or watch it go bad because no electricity. Just imagine over a week of nothing to do except whatever is on physical paper, going to bed with dusk because you've stopped seeing anything due to darkness, eating what you can make with dry goods and limited or no heat source, and a choice of ice cold showers or sponge baths. It wasn't fun. And Isabel wasn't all that compared to some others like Katrina and Andrew. I lived through a giggler. Giggler in more ways that one, the wildfires of the west, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, those 10 foot snowstorms a few years back...betcha that people who went through those would kill for uninterrupted electricity, internet, hot showers, cold refrigerators and roast for dinner. Now I want roast. Oh wow, grocery stores are open with fresh meat, not empty coolers and the stench of rotting meat, I can go buy one. And I have electricity, I can cook one and save the leftovers.

I hate masks for many reasons, but one of them is I'm ticked off that I have to protect others at the expense of my daughter's health. Actually more the opposite, she works at a grocery store 6 days a week, and I buy cat food at PetSmart once in a while. But the point still stands, one of us is putting the other at risk in order to protect Karens. If people were staying home instead of "I'm bored" I'd be tons more sympathetic to the concept of group good.
There is debate about whether wearing a mask actually increases the wearer's chance of getting sick. Articles say it "might" or "could" with no hard data. But there is not much debate going on right now about their efficacy at keeping one's germs to themselves - they do, at least to some extent. And some is better than none.

Agree with the rest of your post. It boggles my mind how people are acting like staying home is such an awful, terrible hardship, when we still have heat/air, electricty, clean running water, plenty of food and entertainment.

Last edited:
Everybody here knows I work with people who have disabilities so I have a major dog in this fight.
I know way too many people who are at risk.
I also know two people who got sick from this damn disease and one who died from it.
This hits me deep.
So when people balk at something as minor as wearing a mask it makes me twitch uncontrollably.

I also have another problem with this.
I wear a mask all the time.
Hell, I do it when friends give me a ride.
Am I sick?
Probably not, but I do it for the same reason that that I don't drive because I have epilepsy - even if it is medically controlled. I won't drive.
The chances of me having a seizure while driving is one in a thousand, but if I did and killed someone, I couldn't live with that.
I would much rather take the inconvenience of riding a bike in the winter time, on glare ice, in below zero temperatures, in the dark, on black ice, in blowing snow, on a highway where people are trying to run over me, then risk killing someone else.
So wearing a mask is an easy ask for me.

Does anyone know Targets official message about how to handle guests who refuse to wear a mask? I am in a state where it is mandated to wear one in public.

I had multiple guests laugh at me today and refuse to wear them and also refuse to leave. The last I heard we were to ask them to leave and suggest they use alternative options such as drive up. The one guest I told to do that said we didn't offer refrigerated product and promptly went over and bought a small carton on ice cream.

I don't necessarily agree that the government can force you to do anything, but as a retailer on private property we can require whatever we want. I wouldn't wear it if Target didn't require.

Also I have got push back about the guests "medically" unable to wear it. Do the same rules apply? They have to leave as well? No clear communication.

My final piece is the most common excuse I hear is they have anxiety and can't wear it. I understand anxiety works in different ways for everyone but, if you had anxiety bad enough to not being able to wear a mask wouldn't you also have anxiety about catching the virus from not wearing one?

At a local Target two weeks ago a ManKaren told the AP person at the door "F-YOU" I'm not wearing a mask. Good example for the kids who were with he and his Karen. Are the AP folks at Target permitted to call the police if masks are required in a particular city? Wouldn't you love to throw this miserable SOB out on his ass!

I like that. It takes care of all my mask objections.

I wonder if stores would accept that as a form of mask.

I wonder what sort of materials I'd need to make one. I have no clue what that plastic looking stuff really is.

Back