Archived Couple of cashiering questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be working softlines but I have a lengthy shift in cashier training come up, and I have a few questions:

1) Can you keep a bottle of water and/or coffee with you at the cashiers?
2) What about unobtrusive snacks?
3) Do they keep hand sanitizer for cashiers? I imagine after touching all that money, it will be nice to have some nearby.
4) How hard do you have to push the REDCard?

Thank you!

1) A lot of this is ASANTS, but at both of the stores I have worked at, water yes, coffee/other drinks, no.
2) Never had a store that allowed snacks at register. We had a cashier at my old store who snuck one up and a guest complained when she caught him eating it while ringing out her stuff (and frankly, I don't blame her). If you have a health issue, get a doctor's note.
3) Old store had hand sanitizer at each register; new store does not. Really wish new store did. I carry a tiny one in my pocket during my rare cashier shifts.
4) Again, ASANTS and dependent on whether they're having some type of promotion.

Last edited:
1. ASANTS. Bottled water only in most cases.
2. No snacks.
3. Not required but some might. ASANTS
4. Push the Redcard...YOU HAVE TO PUSH THE REDCARD TO EVERY GUEST.
Remember there are DEBIT and CREDIT options.

1. We do allow closed water bottles with water although some cashiers sneak other things and no one says anything, but I wouldn’t.
2. Nah, sometimes we’ll give out the candy that should be tossed when we’re slow or to recognize someone, but it’s kind of gross to have anything else.
3. We don’t have hand sanitizer. Honestly, I would think about buying a small one and keeping it with you.
4. We are currently pushing it strongly again. ASANTS, but as long the cashier is asking and informing, you’re doing your job. I have not seen anyone get yelled out for not getting enough as long as they are putting in some effort.

I always bring a bottle with me to keep in my locker. At break and lunch I drink to hydrate myself.

1. ASANTS. My GSTL/As don’t care as long as you don’t make a mess and leave it behind.

2. ASANTS. It’s not recommended, but I did have some TMs (and even guests) who sometimes buy a bag of candy and just offer it to people. It wasn’t... frowned upon because they shared? My store is weird about this ngl.

3. ASANTS. They either keep the hand sanitizer in the GSTL offices or behind the bags at a rarely used register.

4. ASANTS. Depends on who the GSTL/As are working. It can vary from as long as you try your best to push it so hard your mouth will fall off and you hope the guest will take pity for you and sign up.

In my store you could only have water with a doctor's note. This applies to cashiers as well as all sales floor people....even back room. The "water" rule has been strict at my store....and the last STL wasn't one you'd want to test....she'd call you out on the water.

My store doesn't allow many snacks......usually a piece or two of candy, but it had to come from behind guest services.

The best advice for you: Ask the GSTL before your shift. If water is allowed....make sure that it is in a clear container with a spill-proof lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back