I'm Lost! Covering for Receiver - was never shown how to ship out MIRs

Our receiver will be out for the next two weeks and I was given a bit of training on most of what I need to know to cover and I think it's working out okay so far, but I don't know all the information for shipping out MIRs. I've already pulled all the batches (mostly books) and I was able to figure out a the CRC and holding MIRs pretty easily, but the books that I'm supposed to return via UPS requires some info I'm not sure of and I don't want to mess these up. Does anyone know the step by step for this and where I could find the info I need?

Our receiver will be out for the next two weeks and I was given a bit of training on most of what I need to know to cover and I think it's working out okay so far, but I don't know all the information for shipping out MIRs. I've already pulled all the batches (mostly books) and I was able to figure out a the CRC and holding MIRs pretty easily, but the books that I'm supposed to return via UPS requires some info I'm not sure of and I don't want to mess these up. Does anyone know the step by step for this and where I could find the info I need?
Background information:
The books are sent back to readerlink via pre-paid UPS labels. They’re should be a bundle at the receivers desk. If you can’t find them, someone will have to email readerlink to reply back with some pre-paid UPS labels.
Make sure to read the instructions of the MIRs. Most of them will want the book excluding the paperback ones, usually the smaller romantic books. These paperbacks ones want you to tear off the cover and send only the cover to readerlink. The rest of the book would go in Iron Mountain so make sure to read the MIR instruction correctly in the RevLog app.

Processing instructions:
Don’t mix different MIRs together in the same box. Each box can only have one MIR but a single MIR can be in multiple boxes if needed. Once you have the books in boxes, make sure they do no weight over 50 lbs per box. The carrier will be UPSN, tracking number is the pre-paid UPS label, how many pounds it is and the shipping cost is $0.01. You would type in how many cartons/box are used to ship out the single MIR. After this, it would print out the packing slip. One for records and one for each box. If you used multiple boxes for a single MIR, you only need to scan just one shipping label.
You can also search on workbench “Inventory Removal”

Last edited:
Who pushes books in your store? The electronic person should give you the prepaid ups labels that comes in the box. All you have to do is put that label on it . You go to rev log , select the ir and ship. And you select 0.01 for shipping cost. And when it comes to how many lbs you should have a scale in receiving .

At my store the receiver has to pull, pack, and ship all ir’s. Try searching on the computer at work for instructions.
The receiver role has changed. All he has to do is pull recalls and ship the non-qa it. That’s why you have a tech lead and electronics lead.

Woah, that was a faster set of responses than I thought it'd be. Thanks everyone for the responses and BIG thanks to you John for such a detailed walk-through! I took a look at it before I went into work today and got the MIRs done right after the first initial vendors/FDC. As I went through the whole process, it turns out I was mostly just unsure of carrier so that really helped.

I pull & ship ALL mirs. Cant even imagine tech lead doing it.

We pull them so we know it was done right.. The tech lead if it isn't in his specific area he's not touching it. You can't even ask him to put a box of street dated entertainment in the lock up. "Not my area" and if you leave it on the electronics cage, it gets ditched any random place from the where the cage is to he lock up. His ETL fully backs this foolishness, cause he does not have time. :rolleyes:

There is only one person in my store who I trust to do IRs at all. If I am on vacation they are the only person in the store who knows how to do receiving and they only do the IRs while I am on vacation. Any other time I do not want/need any help doing them. Having too many people work on it just has the potential to cause so many problems. If I had to wait on a TL to pull all my stuff it would never get done. The only IRs that someone else touches are only pulling the recalls after I leave for the day and on the weekends, and they can't even get those done all the time.

Back