COVID-19 and 90 day probation period

I recently started working at Target after finding myself unemployed due to the pandemic (anyone else?) Anyhow, I just recently found out about the 90 day probation period. (Had to google it—no one explained it to me.) I’m wondering if the waived attendance policy would have any effect on one’s end of probation determination.

So here’s the thing... I’ve fallen ill a couple of times since starting work and have had to call out. I was told in orientation that one way in which Target was responding to the pandemic was by waiving the attendance policy and encouraging employees to stay home when sick. That being said, I was later confronted by my team lead and warned not to make a habit of calling out sick, especially since I’m still within the 90-day probationary period. This was the first time I’d heard of this policy. Any thoughts on this? It’s just a bit confusing when I’m told one thing and then the opposite. Can I really be fired for calling in sick? And during the pandemic?

Yes. You can be 🔥 for any reason during your first 90 days. After 90 days there is a lot more red tape to fire someone mainly to prevent unemployment claims from being approved. I would be very hesitant on calling out at all. In almost 20 years with the company I've called out maybe 10 times. Work ethic is not something you can teach!

I recently started working at Target after finding myself unemployed due to the pandemic (anyone else?) Anyhow, I just recently found out about the 90 day probation period. (Had to google it—no one explained it to me.) I’m wondering if the waived attendance policy would have any effect on one’s end of probation determination.

So here’s the thing... I’ve fallen ill a couple of times since starting work and have had to call out. I was told in orientation that one way in which Target was responding to the pandemic was by waiving the attendance policy and encouraging employees to stay home when sick. That being said, I was later confronted by my team lead and warned not to make a habit of calling out sick, especially since I’m still within the 90-day probationary period. This was the first time I’d heard of this policy. Any thoughts on this? It’s just a bit confusing when I’m told one thing and then the opposite. Can I really be fired for calling in sick? And during the pandemic?

The biggest thing is not to let your attendance get out of control. Don’t be late. We had to let a TM go before 90 day because of attendance. It was because of the combined lateness and absences.
Attendance is my best pet peeve, but it’s not the the call offs.

If a TM is calling out , excessively, because of this new “covid policy”. That TM is also mostly likely lacking in other areas, such as performance, and conduct.
I may not be able to coach on attendance, but it’ll make me pay more attention to that TM and I will fuck them up, otherwise.

Attendance has always been a hot button for me, and I've seen far too many employees get away with attendance issues over the years (still seeing it now).

That being said, I fully support anyone calling out because they are genuinely sick, especially during this time of crisis. You won't get any prizes for dragging your contagious butt to work, but you might infect your fellow team members and guests, and no one wants that.

I thought no one could get fired for attendance during Covid.
However, that does not mean call-offs go entirely unnoticed. When this is over - i already know the 4 people who will be promoted to guest ASAP.
Poor attendance TM are not forgotten. You may think they are ‘getting away‘ with it - but there will be a price to pay .....eventually.

Is it all attendance? We had a team member try to raise hell because she called in for having too much homework and the closing lead told her it would count against her. She was mad because she thought all absenci were excused. 🙄🙄

Is it all attendance? We had a team member try to raise hell because she called in for having too much homework and the closing lead told her it would count against her. She was mad because she thought all absenci were excused. 🙄🙄
Yes, it would be counted against the tm. Spot is not a grade school.

Last edited:
I've been called out by my Teamleader about not getting enough RedCards. I'm a high school student and this is my first job. I'm 2 months into my 90 days probation and at my target they expect the guest advocate to sign people up for the red card one a week and I haven't gotten a single one. So far I think I am a good team member. They already having be training in at the service desk and doing drive up. I am still worried that I might get let go if I don't do enough red cards before my probation. Do you think that I will get let go? please let me know

I've been called out by my Teamleader about not getting enough RedCards. I'm a high school student and this is my first job. I'm 2 months into my 90 days probation and at my target they expect the guest advocate to sign people up for the red card one a week and I haven't gotten a single one. So far I think I am a good team member. They already having be training in at the service desk and doing drive up. I am still worried that I might get let go if I don't do enough red cards before my probation. Do you think that I will get let go? please let me know
Partner with your tl on your concerns.

Only a couple of my red cards in the 2 years I've been here have been "sells." Almost all are people who approach me or people who remember when I ask them at checkout with the usual banter.

That's to say, unless you're a dynamite natural salesperson you will mostly get them by luck or consistently mentioning it.

If a TM is calling out , excessively, because of this new “covid policy”. That TM is also mostly likely lacking in other areas, such as performance, and conduct.
I may not be able to coach on attendance, but it’ll make me pay more attention to that TM and I will fuck them up, otherwise.

Last edited:

I understand it to a certain extent, but times have changed. So, in fear of losing your job you should go to work sick? Possibly with Covid-19? Not cool.

Back