COVID-19 COVID Alerts

I'm going to be honest. When COVID-19 started becoming major news a bunch of people on this board said they and fellow TMs were going on the paid leave for 30 days. 30 days later the virus was still big and bad. So they all took 90 days unpaid leave. 90 days later things were actually worse. When people first started talking about the paid leave I thought it sounded silly, as if they thought all troubles would be over in 30 or 120 days and it'd be rainbows and sunshine and no nasty deadly virus. It made more sense to save it for when there was more than a hypothetical risk, like a cluster nearby or a family member getting sick with something else that heightened chances of complications. Something where barricading yourself was a reasonable response to an actual direct threat. When all those unpaid leaves ended, people were debating between quitting and having no income or going back to the same exact viral conditions they left, as if there had been any doubt that there'd be health issue changes. Then when things got a little worse and clusters started appearing, people had no leave left to take.

So are you planning on taking leave because of a hypothetical risk that will still be there when you return? Or are you facing a condition that really will go away in 15-30 days and it really will be safer to stay put for a couple weeks because the risk will drop in that time?
I’m considering taking the leave because of the influx of cases we have had in my store this month and the fact that I share my home with my grandmother who is pushing 80 and high-risk. She’s the one parent I have left and her safety is more important to me than a paycheck. There’s no way for me to ensure that I have not come in contact with the individuals infected since management is not telling us anything at all. I get tested of course but I cannot get tested everyday and wait for the results to come when people still pose the risk of infecting me everyday that I walk into work.

Omg Tessa, who cares? People take leave for a million reasons.

ETA: Yes I said 2020 was cancelled, but that had at least a little to do with the fact that I am a germaphobe. I was perfectly willing to cancel plans for a year if it meant stemming the tide of this thing. This has been an unprecedented pandemic in our time and I don't believe that most people knew it would get this bad back in March or April. I remember the first time experts said that it may last until July and people not believing it.

People have to make their own decisions for themselves. Now with your example, I made a calculation and took a leave from March to May, returned June-November when things died down a bit, then took another leave. But everyone’s situation is different. Taking a leave during this pandemic isn’t as simple as “I want to avoid getting sick”. Maybe they need to care for a family member who got sick. Or maybe a family member died and they have to take care of their kids. A variety of different reasons people can’t come to work.

Like so many other things in my life right now where people can't seem to figure out the English words I am speaking to understand the concept behind it (I so hate that they act like they can't understand how I'm stringing words together).

When this first hit the news, it was obviously different. Swine flu, all the bird flus, a couple other new viruses, they all lacked one big thing, and every single year that one thing was trumpeted large. They had not developed the mutation needed for easy human to human transmission. Most had no human to human transmission outside a handful of cases. A few got a limited amount but was so poor at it that the virus pretty much killed itself off because it wasn't moving on fast enough. Every one of those, all over mainstream news and any science devoted area of social media, it was said that if the latest virus got that mutation, we were fucked and then fucked a second time.

Then this one comes along and it's in a lot of mainstream and reputable information places, that this is even worse than the swine flu and bird flus. All those, we had a little bit of immunity from similar flus. This, we got nothing. The knowledge spread really fast because it was still mostly in Asia and their scientists were releasing the information of how crazy fast they were seeing COVID-19 spread, and how it's probably going to be the same way here.

Once here, there were all the charts for how first and second wave worked, and pretty early on scientists were talking about summer and how it would likely be a second wave unless by some miracle heat kills COVID-19. Schools were closed for the year. Vaccines were predicted for 2022.

Now at that point people who are considering taking leave just to get away from the danger would get several months of calendar sheets laid out, go over personal/family risk factors, and try to get some sense of if personal risk was going to increase or decrease during the next few months. Family members who are sick, are they expected to get better or get worse? What duties, whether personal, familial or professional, would take one out of the house? Is there unavoidable travel? What are the stats for the locality? When will personal risk factors move up and down? What about future holidays, what traditionally causes people to gather in large numbers? Crunch the numbers as best you can with the data you have and figure out if now is better than 6 months from now, or if the length of leave allowed means waiting a month and then taking it for something 5 months from now.

But it seemed so many people didn't think logically and plan, and instead went with raw emotion and were blindsided when the virus wasn't gone a few months later.

If there was infinite leave, whatever.

If there were more liberal leave policies, where a mistake of going with emotion doesn't hurt the future, whatever.

But if acting on raw emotions rather than think "Well what about 10 months from now? Is it more likely going to have vanished or more likely still making people sick?" and then getting caught in an impossible situation months after taking leave, well that's basically watching someone hurt themselves on purpose. And from a human aspect, watching that is hard because you don't want people to hurt. Yet stopping the raw emotion, the refusal to look over the next months or years in lieu of satisfaction now, that can't be stopped. It doesn't change that someone willfully and deliberately blinding themselves to the long-term outlook is being silly. But the reason to care is because being silly could easily hurt them, and that's a terrible thing.

Like so many other things in my life right now where people can't seem to figure out the English words I am speaking to understand the concept behind it (I so hate that they act like they can't understand how I'm stringing words together).

When this first hit the news, it was obviously different. Swine flu, all the bird flus, a couple other new viruses, they all lacked one big thing, and every single year that one thing was trumpeted large. They had not developed the mutation needed for easy human to human transmission. Most had no human to human transmission outside a handful of cases. A few got a limited amount but was so poor at it that the virus pretty much killed itself off because it wasn't moving on fast enough. Every one of those, all over mainstream news and any science devoted area of social media, it was said that if the latest virus got that mutation, we were fucked and then fucked a second time.

Then this one comes along and it's in a lot of mainstream and reputable information places, that this is even worse than the swine flu and bird flus. All those, we had a little bit of immunity from similar flus. This, we got nothing. The knowledge spread really fast because it was still mostly in Asia and their scientists were releasing the information of how crazy fast they were seeing COVID-19 spread, and how it's probably going to be the same way here.

Once here, there were all the charts for how first and second wave worked, and pretty early on scientists were talking about summer and how it would likely be a second wave unless by some miracle heat kills COVID-19. Schools were closed for the year. Vaccines were predicted for 2022.

Now at that point people who are considering taking leave just to get away from the danger would get several months of calendar sheets laid out, go over personal/family risk factors, and try to get some sense of if personal risk was going to increase or decrease during the next few months. Family members who are sick, are they expected to get better or get worse? What duties, whether personal, familial or professional, would take one out of the house? Is there unavoidable travel? What are the stats for the locality? When will personal risk factors move up and down? What about future holidays, what traditionally causes people to gather in large numbers? Crunch the numbers as best you can with the data you have and figure out if now is better than 6 months from now, or if the length of leave allowed means waiting a month and then taking it for something 5 months from now.

But it seemed so many people didn't think logically and plan, and instead went with raw emotion and were blindsided when the virus wasn't gone a few months later.

If there was infinite leave, whatever.

If there were more liberal leave policies, where a mistake of going with emotion doesn't hurt the future, whatever.

But if acting on raw emotions rather than think "Well what about 10 months from now? Is it more likely going to have vanished or more likely still making people sick?" and then getting caught in an impossible situation months after taking leave, well that's basically watching someone hurt themselves on purpose. And from a human aspect, watching that is hard because you don't want people to hurt. Yet stopping the raw emotion, the refusal to look over the next months or years in lieu of satisfaction now, that can't be stopped. It doesn't change that someone willfully and deliberately blinding themselves to the long-term outlook is being silly. But the reason to care is because being silly could easily hurt them, and that's a terrible thing.
In March Target offered a paid one month leave to those who were vulnerable. In March and April everything was new, fresh, and up in the air. Spreadsheets? Ten months from then? Who TF was thinking that way? Shit got real, I applied for the paid leave and was approved. When that leave was almost up, I was not ready to come back so I took another month unpaid, which actually ended up being paid (and then some) when I applied for unemployment and was approved.

I guess you are right and I am not understanding the words you are typing. What is the issue here? Why do you have a problem with when or if people take leaves? When do YOU think I should have taken my leave? I will take another one if I have to, as I will do what is right for me and my family.

Why? Same reason people care when someone's threatening to jump. If you don't care about the human cost, then you don't care about people putting themselves in a bad way. If you do care about other people, you do think its crazy when they don't logic it out and end up hurting themselves by doing so.

As far as when I think people should take leave, I said it already. When an evaluation of risk factors, present and expected futures, determine that leave will have the best effect. Not looking at just the present, the expected future too.

And don't say no one was watching predictions. Don't say people every year have been watching news to see about human to human transmission for all new bugs. Everyone does it.

Why? Same reason people care when someone's threatening to jump. If you don't care about the human cost, then you don't care about people putting themselves in a bad way. If you do care about other people, you do think its crazy when they don't logic it out and end up hurting themselves by doing so.

As far as when I think people should take leave, I said it already. When an evaluation of risk factors, present and expected futures, determine that leave will have the best effect. Not looking at just the present, the expected future too.

And don't say no one was watching predictions. Don't say people every year have been watching news to see about human to human transmission for all new bugs. Everyone does it.
Tessa I don't have the desire or energy to worry that much about when other people take leaves.

Also, I would never make sweeping generalizations about what "everyone" does, knows, or believes. A few days before the crap hit the fan in mid -March, I had friends, family, and even guests claiming everything was fine. One even said "The bars and restaurants are packed!" It didn't hit them in the face until the lockdowns.

You realize there are still people who truly believe this has been greatly exaggerated, yes? People who don't believe the lockdowns were necessary, people who never stopped living their lives as "normally" as possible?

Last edited:
You realize there are still people who truly believe this has been greatly exaggerated, yes? People who don't believe the lockdowns were necessary, people who never stopped living their lives as "normally" as possible?
You are describing me to a T

Back