Archived Criminal records

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Target hire people with criminal records? What type of charge would be a automatic NO? In some places "jaywalking" is a criminal offense. Are some charges okay to have if you work for Target? Or do you have to have a 100 percent clean record?

My friend was convicted of DUI in 1984, would he be able to get a job with Target?

Target hires people with criminal histories, including felonies. They will at least interview your friend. However, they will still have him/her consent to a background check and drug screen prior to employment.

Target hires people with criminal histories, including felonies. They will at least interview your friend. However, they will still have him/her consent to a background check and drug screen prior to employment.
He also has fraud charges would this be a problem ?

I suppose it depends. Were those back in 1984 too? What type of fraud?

I'm not sure of that. I'm not HR, but it never hurts to try. Like I said, they will at least give him a first interview. It may or may not help (or matter) if he has a friend that already works there. I want to believe that people will give others a chance. 30 years was a LOOOONG time ago.

I don't know anywhere that wouldn't hire someone due to them having a DUI, DUIs are common. I could see if it was recent enough that he had no license because of it, but that obviously isn't the case.

The fraud seems like a much bigger deal, but then as mentioned, the fact it was thirty years ago should make that be much less of an issue than if it was recent.

FWIW: Not sure if it shows on a background check for me, but I was charged with Assault & Battery when I was a teenager for a fight I got into at a party, though that might be unviewable due to the fact that I was a teenager at the time, so not sure if Target saw that and hired anyway, or if they are unaware of that occurrence happening.

I can't speak for Taret's background check processor, but I work for a hotel chain in the HR department.

When we conduct a background check for an hourly employee, it only goes back 7 years. I think even the application blank asks for self-disclosure if there is a conviction from the last 7 years.

Only time we request it back further is for management and property security. Then it goes back 12

Does Target hire people with criminal records? What type of charge would be a automatic NO? In some places "jaywalking" is a criminal offense. Are some charges okay to have if you work for Target? Or do you have to have a 100 percent clean record?

My friend was convicted of DUI in 1984, would he be able to get a job with Target?
Your FRIEND will have to be completely open about their record if asked. The application process and interview should have questions that relate to criminal offenses. But I think its mostly surrounds a time table of 3-7 years depending on the offense. If they deny or withhold the information when asked, they can be pushed out of the application pool.

If its was a DUI in '84, and they completed any and all court appointed sentencing and requirements, then they are all good.

Basically, if they are up front and honest if asked, they shouldn't be disqualified.

haha a fellow TM once disclosed to me that he had gotten two DUIs the year prior and had just got out of county jail after a 4 month stay before applying and being hired. No longer with Spot, but it got him back on his feet. :)

Btw I would also tell your "friend" to just be upfront with all of it at once. The way you did it here was deceptive.

"Even jaywalking is a crime!"
"...it was a DUI"
"...and fraud."
"against a retail store."

That's not going to endear you to the hiring manager at all. Just be out with it all at once.

Look closely at the question and how it is asked.
Some applications give a range of years - five, ten years.
If you are applying for a job in the pharmacy where you are going to be handling medications they are going to be looking a lot closer and want more information.
Most are only looking for felonies and crimes that result in jail time.
Read the question then if you have to answer it with something that might be problematic write something like "Will discuss during interview."

This will at the very least keep your application from getting dumped right off the bat.
Be absolutely honest in the interview.
Don't go into details, don't try to defend yourself, write down what you want to say and stick to it.
Long rambling stories will only hurt you.
Something like, "Circumstances led to bad decisions, the results were a conviction for XXXX. Its resolved now."

Last edited:
I think I might also add: "And this mistake taught me a valuable lesson & made me a better & wiser person."

Or something to that effect.

Absolutely, and if you can move from there to "Which is why I want to work for your company where I can apply my strengths at ...."
Then list what good things there are about yourself.
That way you have turned a question that is a negative back to selling yourself to the company.

Btw I would also tell your "friend" to just be upfront with all of it at once. The way you did it here was deceptive.

"Even jaywalking is a crime!"
"...it was a DUI"
"...and fraud."
"against a retail store."

That's not going to endear you to the hiring manager at all. Just be out with it all at once.
I wouldn't hire the "friend."

That could apply to just about every job.

It depends on the position. For AP and and the pharmacy any criminal record you will be denied a job. We had a TPS who had a misdemeanor jaywalking from las Vegas who got denied.

Just about everyone in my store has had a DUI in the past. LOL. I think they will hire just about anyone without a major felony or theft crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back